GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lighting Mod: Mood Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-05, 11:46 PM
nicola
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lighting Mod: Mood Lights (no 56k)

I remember a thread a while back about those mood lights some Acura's and some other cars have now. I had some red high output led's left over from an old project so I put them to use. I drilled two holes into the recessed part for the map light and aimed the LED's at the console center area. I rewired the two light switches so that one switch turns on both lights and the other switch turns on the LED's.

I attached a pretty bad pic (not sure how this works) for you to get the idea. I'll probably replace them with white as the rest of my console has white led's for the buttons, but the red looks good too.

Alright I figured out this picture posting thing (sorry for the quality, I didn't have a tripod, and these were resized in XP):

Last edited by nicola; 04-26-05 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-26-05, 09:20 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

reminds me of that {Police song ...Roxanne ...

looks good

tell you truth ...its kinda of stalkerish ...like a mad man or something would be driving this

but nice work lol
Old 04-26-05, 10:17 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

I like it
Old 04-26-05, 10:33 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I like it, i would perfer to use orange/green light instead. Where did you get these LED's? Im looking for a little less output, or maybe the same but in a different color. Nice mod
Old 04-26-05, 11:09 AM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it just because its out of the ordinary, but what happens when you need to find something in the car? you cant really see anything with that color
Old 04-26-05, 02:48 PM
PuppyDawg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's called the "darkroom" mod ...now you can develop film in the lex

Old 04-26-05, 07:32 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Heheheh...the Bimmer has had this for years. I think it's just the quality of the photos that make the moodlights look eerie. I know in my 5 series, the orange-ish moodlight gives a very warm comfortable glow to the interior of the car without attracting too much attention.

I've been wanting to do this to the Aristo, but I started with the door handles first. This will definitely be next. But I want to wire the LEDs (in white) so that they turn on immediately with the parking light on. Just like in my Bimmer....

Great idea though. Thanks for posting the pics. I like how you angle the LEDs from the corner towards the dash and not straight down. Otherwise, the LEDs will just be illuminating your shifter.
Old 04-26-05, 09:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

very nice touch man, nice.

i wish the 2gs had it too. but at least the 3gs does have the superwhite led, very nice touch
Old 04-26-05, 11:15 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jtanoyo1
Great idea though. Thanks for posting the pics. I like how you angle the LEDs from the corner towards the dash and not straight down. Otherwise, the LEDs will just be illuminating your shifter.

I think thats the point, the dash already has its lighting. It gives all that wood a nice shine, or at least in the LS series.
Old 04-27-05, 07:11 PM
nicola
Driver

thanks for the comments. the lights come on when i click the square switch. the opposite square switch turns on both map lights at the same time, and then the seperate courtesy light is still on its own toggle.

i ordered the led's on ebay from an awesome supplier (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7511277484 is the most recent auction i've won). they're the cheapest but the best quality i've found so far. shipping takes a while, about a week and a half, as he's out of hong kong. good stuff though.

the pictures are pretty bad quality, the light is not as intense in person, i just had the shutter open for too long. i'll try to take some pics with the dash and guages on so you have a reference. looks nice and evil at night though
Old 04-27-05, 07:40 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

I am doing mine with white LEDs. I will post pics tomorrow when my car comes out of the shop! Thanks for the idea though, Nicola. I wouldn't have thought of angling the LEDs like that...
Old 04-27-05, 09:13 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just wanted to subscribe to the thread.
Old 04-27-05, 10:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I am doing mine with white LEDs. I will post pics tomorrow when my car comes out of the shop! Thanks for the idea though, Nicola. I wouldn't have thought of angling the LEDs like that...
please do, white led is what i would do as well if i ever do it, so good to know what it's like
Old 04-27-05, 11:04 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I am curious too, Rom. But if my guess is right, it should turn on ok. I am tapping the power to the sunroof motor, so everytime I turn the ignition on, the LEDs will turn on too....
Old 04-28-05, 12:08 AM
nicola
Driver

Yeah, I am curious too, Rom. But if my guess is right, it should turn on ok. I am tapping the power to the sunroof motor, so everytime I turn the ignition on, the LEDs will turn on too....
good idea. im doing the sideskirt led's once i get that next shipment, so i'll need that switch back... can't wait to see the white output, post pics once you get them

here are some more pics, they better represent the light output. also, whoever asked about the output being too high - you can just add a larger resistor to reduce the power until its to your liking.

Quick Reply: Lighting Mod: Mood Lights