GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Where do i JACK the car up at?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-05, 01:42 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The stated positions are in fact the "correct" jack points. HOWEVER, they are meant to be used with the trunk scizzor jack, which has a NOTCH that is meant to accept the pinch seam that you're all referring to. That way, the jack's bearing surface is not very large, and that bearing surface touches the car on either side of the pinch seam, NOT on the pinch seam itself. I've been using a big hydraulic jack at those jacking points for years, and this has caused the underpanel to bend upwards at the front jack points, because the dish of the jack was ONLY contacting the pinch seams, and the load was too much for that metal to hold. Looking at it a different way, when you use the stock trunk jack, the loads are such that no bending occurs, but the metal under there is probably barely able to hold it. So when you DON'T use the stock jack, you could wind up with the bending that I have.
This has never caused a problem, but now I'm putting my L-Tuned sides on, and I have to attach them to the bent (bowed) metal under there. No biggie either, but more complicated than I'd like it to be.
Having said that, I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone else complain of this, it's not like my car is heavier or anything.
Old 04-27-05, 01:45 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have seen pads that have a notch in them (for the pinch seam) that you can put on your floor jack to correct the above problem. I can't remember where I saw them (might have been on one of the Sears jacks), but if I can find them again I will post.
Old 04-27-05, 05:59 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by engin_ear
I have seen pads that have a notch in them (for the pinch seam) that you can put on your floor jack to correct the above problem. I can't remember where I saw them (might have been on one of the Sears jacks), but if I can find them again I will post.

they are on the Sears jack i bought

Old 11-03-05, 02:07 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was scoping out the jack points for my GS and it seems like the L-tune skirts are right at the spot the manual says to use. with a regular floor jack and not the stocker, I don't see how it can fit there without riding on and hurting the side skirt.
Old 11-03-05, 02:15 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's what i was thinking... maybe alexis has aftermarket side skirts that is interfering with the jacking points?
Old 11-03-05, 10:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
I was scoping out the jack points for my GS and it seems like the L-tune skirts are right at the spot the manual says to use. with a regular floor jack and not the stocker, I don't see how it can fit there without riding on and hurting the side skirt.
put it more towards the middle of the car (still along the sides). if you go feel it, you will feel that the piece of metal runs along the whole sides.

my skirt is always preventing me from using the stock jack point. i just slide it backward (if i wanna jack up the front) and do the trick