GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Where do i JACK the car up at?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-05, 06:38 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where do i JACK the car up at?

Hey ya'll,

I have tried searching and no luck, (my comp might be buggin') i need to know the proper area to lift my car to change tires! Almost everytime i lift the car i hear something crack or bend so i have to lower the jack and try again but i still dont know "What area is made for lifting"

Any help Would help because i change my own wheels.

Thanks

~Kia
Old 04-26-05, 06:42 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have the Lexus owners manual

if you do turn to page 193

its there

just make sure you go in far enough right past the side skirts
Old 04-26-05, 06:47 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

yeah i do but i swear it showed something like the outer lip like right under the sideskirt area, i believe i tried that once and heard a crackin noise!! But i will double check the manual.
BTW: im using a standard 3ton jack not the lexus one so will this still apply?

Thx Kia
Old 04-26-05, 07:00 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it should apply

i use a Sears jack and it works great

let me see if i have some pics of my car lifted

no good

i can take some tomorrow if you want

Last edited by T.L.W.; 04-26-05 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-26-05, 07:27 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, right behind your sideskirts, there should be a long piece of metal that runs the whole length of your car. It sticks out a little bit lower than your stock sideskirts, just feel with your hands, you could even see it if you look from below. Anyway, right near behind the front tire, this metal piece should have a notch to put your jack on to. I always use a piece of soft wood (any kind of wood would do usually), place the wood on top of the jack and then place the jack where the notch is and just jack it up. The wood will "cushion" the force of the jack against the weight of the car. It will not bend anything, usually pretty safe against sideskirts and if anything cracks, usually only the cheap piece of wood will crack.

The notched metal thingy will exist on all 4 corners. If you have the huge scissor-type jack, then it's always best to jack the car from the front or the back using the chassis as the mounting point. The chassis points are the strongest thickest part of the car. Believe me, you will not be bending or breaking anything here.
Old 04-26-05, 08:08 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

T.L.W i will take a look tomorrow and see if i see what you and jtanoyo1 are talking about. i believe i have a idea i just didnt think that little "ledge" looked safe and i didnt want the jack to slip. i will take a look in the afternoon and re-post.

Thanks for the help for now!!

~Kia
Old 04-26-05, 09:04 PM
Lyrical
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jtanoyo1
Ok, right behind your sideskirts, there should be a long piece of metal that runs the whole length of your car. It sticks out a little bit lower than your stock sideskirts, just feel with your hands, you could even see it if you look from below. Anyway, right near behind the front tire, this metal piece should have a notch to put your jack on to. I always use a piece of soft wood (any kind of wood would do usually), place the wood on top of the jack and then place the jack where the notch is and just jack it up. The wood will "cushion" the force of the jack against the weight of the car. It will not bend anything, usually pretty safe against sideskirts and if anything cracks, usually only the cheap piece of wood will crack.

The notched metal thingy will exist on all 4 corners. If you have the huge scissor-type jack, then it's always best to jack the car from the front or the back using the chassis as the mounting point. The chassis points are the strongest thickest part of the car. Believe me, you will not be bending or breaking anything here.
Do you still have that picture of where you jack up the car at the front / back?
Also, on a side question, if you lift it from the back, would it be possible to replace the mufflers, or would you have to lift the car on both sides to do that?
Old 04-26-05, 09:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

that's weird alexus, that's where i jack up my car all the time and i never have any problem
Old 04-26-05, 09:39 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lyrical
Do you still have that picture of where you jack up the car at the front / back?
Also, on a side question, if you lift it from the back, would it be possible to replace the mufflers, or would you have to lift the car on both sides to do that?

I will try to take some pics later for ya. But if you jack from the back you can definitely remove the mufflers easily, no need to do from the sides....
Old 04-26-05, 11:10 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Alexus-Kia
yeah i do but i swear it showed something like the outer lip like right under the sideskirt area, i believe i tried that once and heard a crackin noise!! But i will double check the manual.
BTW: im using a standard 3ton jack not the lexus one so will this still apply?

Thx Kia

ah haah! i found ya. lol. man, i remember when u first came to cl. do u remember? back when u didnt even have pix of ur car yet! wow...time flies! how r u? umm..sorry, but my post has nuthin to do w/ jackin up ur car! lol.
Old 04-26-05, 11:38 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a pic of the SC but the location still applies to the GS.

Old 04-27-05, 11:53 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I do not think that the lip is where you should be jacking up the car. The lip is for supporting the car or something like that. Jacking up the car is on the frame that runs deeper into the car. For example it is beind the front wheels and a little to the rear. The rear jacking point is behind the rear wheels and a little to the front.

Look at a shop do it for example.
Can you imagine a shop picking up the entire car, with those huge lift arms by the little lip near the skirt. Not only will you bend the lip, but you will probably brake the skirt. The jacking points are deffinatelly deeper into the body.
Old 04-27-05, 01:28 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Neo
This is a pic of the SC but the location still applies to the GS.

I don't think this is the jack hat she has.

I know when I lifted my car it was creaking and stuff and I got nervous......but I kept on going and I was fine. There are some notches under the car that sort of guide you.

Good luck Kia!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-05, 01:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ewll but if you read the user manual, they tell you to jack from those places (right behind front wheel and right in front of rear wheel) to change spare tires though
Old 04-27-05, 01:37 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
I don't think this is the jack hat she has.
Although the pic is for the OEM jack, the jack points are still valid. I use the same technique as jtanoyo1 where I put a short piece of 2x4 in between the jack and the car. I've had no problems jacking from the sides or from the 2 "middle" jack points.

In a pinch, if you need to jack the front of the car up to get a larger hydraulic jack into the middle, because you are low, the tow hooks is strong enough to support the car too. Although it should be OK, I only use the hook as a transitional jack point.

Quick Reply: Where do i JACK the car up at?