GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

RMM Body Kit - How well do they fit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-01, 04:23 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After my recent run in with my front bumper, I have considering the RMM body kit. I was wondering how well the kit is made and how well it fits, mainly that. I have the perfect body shop for the paint, but I want to do the install to save some $$$$. I am mechanically inclined, but not sure how much I personally can modify. Let me know your experiences.
Old 06-14-01, 05:24 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Ive seen Jacobt's in person and IMO its the toughest, beefiest looking kit out there. Im sure he can share his experiences about that kit install with you....Tiny
Old 06-14-01, 06:42 PM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

I own the RMM front Grill ,,,, they sent me the grill without the Mesh that bolts on the back ,,, one thing about polyurithane (spelling) it is sensitive to heat it gets really soft and mellow kinda,,, my front grill started saging until I called RMM and told them what the problem was but I got the mesh bolted it on the back and its fine.
Old 06-14-01, 07:02 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Tiny...

BBD - Does that mean the same can happen to the body kit itself? I live in Michigan which goes thru extreme cold and extreme warm, so now I am in a dilema...This worries me because of the paint...argh...Why is stock always better...
Old 06-14-01, 08:55 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

My rmm grill fitment sucks! One of the holes that connects to the front was off by 1/2 inch . I had to have a friend pull on it on that side so i could screw it in.

I was seriously considering the body kit until that happened.
Old 06-14-01, 10:22 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,

RMM's grill is BAD....but their body kit seems very good(otherwise MANARAY would not consider using them)

several members have them, and they looked great
Old 06-14-01, 11:31 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the RMM grill doesn't come with the mesh?

Recently my grill just came from Japan and it doesn't come with a mesh either!! I was like, no way~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ gonna find out if that's the way it's suppose to be.
Old 06-15-01, 12:06 AM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks everyone...I really was mostly concerned with the body kit. In the worse case, I could get the L-tuned grill. I just really liked how classy looking the kit is or better yet simple. I just will not be able to deal heat problems and paint issues after spending that much, cause you know (gs4will) I need to still lower the car.
Old 06-15-01, 12:13 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my RMM grill came with a black mesh part in the back and the fitment wasnt too great but once the hood is shut it looks fine.
The bodykit itself id made out of polyutharane (spelling) which has its advantages and disadvantages compared to fiberglass:

poly...... ( dont know how to spell it )

advantages :

1. it is a very flexable meterial thus when you get in an accedint it will bend and will not break like FG

2. it fits better than FG when done right and lasts longer

disadvantages :

1. when it bends it tends to break the paint and is very hard to repair

2. if you get a hole in it or a chip might as well buy a new bumper since no one garentees a good fix for it and an exact paint match

3. very dificult to paint so it will cost extra to paint it since it needs more coats of paint

4. it wieghs alot more than FB

5. its alot harder to install than FB but if done right looks 100 times better than FB

now the disadvantages of Fiber Glass and the advantages:

Advantages:

1. Its easier to paint

2. Its easier to drill

3. ITS REPAIRABLE

4. its light weight

5. its cheaper

disadvantages:

1. its very easy to break

2. most of the time the fit and finish is not the best in the world

3. it always needs minor modifications to get it done right

4. it will not last a long time if you plan to use it as a daily driver

5. it will need to be repainted since the color will fade faster than poly

Thats about all I can think of right now but Im sure there are other things to add to this list but this will explain the diffrences about the two and help you make your choice. I hope this helps
Old 06-15-01, 03:16 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

I ordered the L-sportline(Dazz motorsport) grille from RMM. It came with no mounting screws and wasnt EVEN shaped correctly. RMM gave me the run around on returning it, falling back on the fact that it "wasnt their product, just something they sell". So, I called L-sportline to let them know how well one of their major distributors was representing their product. They proceeded to tell me that the grille I recieved was the first gen L-sportline grille. The rep said they were extremely un-happy with that mold and that they now had a second gen. He also said that the grille I recieved had to have been THE last of the stock of that grille, and that it WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE SOLD ANYMORE. He then allowed me to exchange mine for the second gen. for no charge to me. (shipping, etc.) Very good service, but , even though the grille fits great, and looks awesome, it is not PERFECTLY shaped like OEM. LOL-LOL
I think this is extremely common amongst after market grilles, with the exception of TRD,TTE, or L-tuned.
I havent seen alot of posts where people are unhappy with body kits fitting incorrectly, just the grilles..strange, seems like that would be easier to perfect than big pieces.....Thanks, Tiny
Old 06-15-01, 04:25 AM
Presario
Driver

The RMM kit is my personal favorite. I'm a kind of guy that doesn't like to be too flashy. The RMM kit enhances the look of the car but retains a subtle clean look. When I got my springs and shocks installed, the guy said the car looked like it came like that from the factory and that he wanted to buy one just like it (this is coming from a guy who works of porsches and ferraris all day). The bumper pieces fit very well. The side skirts are another story. The side skirt is a plastic piece that fits over the stock skirt so it protrudes out. THe rubber flap that covers over the factory skirt (in prevent water from entering) starts to rip with time. I had to replace it. It just doesn't fit well and is visible especially when the door is open. The grill looks great but needs to be improved fit wise. I just sold my grille and I'm getting either the TRD or the L sportline from Hiro (he's letting try them before i buy). The only other thing is that a lot of people have the RMM kit. There are three in my neighborhood not including me. I'm sure it's because RMM is just 30 minutes away. ANyway, that's my input on the RMM kit. Overall, I'm very pleased. OH and finally, not to dog on RMM or anything but they bit off the explosion kit, almost piece by piece- with only subtle differences. SO if any of you need to have the original, get the explosion kit- but it's fiberglass. Hope that helped!

-Andy
Old 06-15-01, 05:33 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

I got FED UP with the RMM grill, so I sold it to my friend so he can have the stress of installing it

I'm looking into buying the TRD grill or the L-tuned.

I think L-tuned is the easiest to install because the cut is the exact measurement to the hood, unlike RMM
Old 06-15-01, 07:42 AM
JacobT

RMM kit is made of polyurathane. That the same material which stock bumper s were made of. But RMM one is not as thick and sturdy as stock one. The RMM grill does not match the hood curve very well, you'll need to heat it up the unit and bend it to fit the curve. The front and rear bumpers are not perfect fit, you have bigger gaps than stock ones but overall it's a very well designed kit. You can tell from the left side of the bumper where the bumper meets the body panel. You can see the gap.
Attached Thumbnails RMM Body Kit - How well do they fit?-rmm_f.jpg  
Old 06-15-01, 03:32 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks everyone for your in depth analysis of the RMM body kit. I also have some pros and cons to go by now. I might end up going with the RMM front end with the Veilside side shirts and rear. I will let everyone know what happens this summer or when I have the funds ready, but I really need a new front end...oh well...

JacobT - have you ran into any problems with your Racing Harts? Also, what offsets did you go with in the rear and the front to even them out. I really like the look of the huge lips in the rear etc.

Thanks to all!

Mike
Old 06-15-01, 06:22 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

one major point of difference in the RMM vs. Explosion is that the RMM used the stock foglights whereas the Explosion uses round ones...and the Explosion kit has a extra set of openings...

....but....

...After having a less than great conversation with some of the people over at RMM, I have decided NOT to go with their kit...as a matter of fact, I don't think I'll be buying ANYTHING from them...

I've also been entertaining another idea...the Esprit or Explosion kit with PIAA HID Foglights...since they're low, they shouldn't bother oncoming traffic...Eh, I dunno...the only thing that bugs about both kits is that they has a HUGE opening with no mesh...and since I don't have a innercooler yet, it'll look rather silly....I guess I could put a FAKE ONE THERE or I could just do up my own mesh (black of course)

I suppose I could stick to my original plan on do the Wise Sport kit...or a Quest Power kit...or...damn, no wonder why I don't have a body kit yet!

Quick Reply: RMM Body Kit - How well do they fit?