GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Quadruple HIDs? Too Bright?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-05, 11:54 PM
dani3l
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quadruple HIDs? Too Bright?

Dear members, ive recently installed some aftermarket hids for my high beams. Do you think this is over doing it? let me know. thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Quadruple HIDs? Too Bright?-image_00001.jpg  
Old 04-27-05, 12:08 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Since it is only high beams, the brighter the better I think. That is why you turn on the high beams anyway to get better distance vision. If you were gonna run em on all the time I say no. But if they are strictly for high beams, then I think its ok
Old 04-27-05, 12:45 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is you will blow your highbeam HIDS very soon. They are not meant to be turned on and off at quick successions. Just know that the ballasts send a very high voltage to the HID bulbs when you turn it on the first time before decreasing it. Imagine hitting the bulbs with very high voltage when you flick your high beams a few times....you will toast it for sure.

I think highbeams with hid kit is pretty silly idea...
Old 04-27-05, 01:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if you want it just for show, i guess you achieved your point, but imho it's way overdone. you need time to ignite hid, so you can forget about flashing people now. by the time you flicker the switch, the hid can't even react in time. and jon is right, you turn it on and off quick and often enough, you blow the kits very easily

and what color is that?! looks very green/blue... 7500+k?
Old 04-27-05, 02:16 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Why didn't you put them in to you fog lights
Old 04-27-05, 07:20 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it looks decent....but that would suck if they burnt out fast and you couldn't flash your brights. they do look pretty blue, like Rom said, what are they-they definately don't look like stock 4300, but pics of lights can be deceiving.

just thought of something, what do they look like when functioning as drls at half power?
Old 04-27-05, 07:45 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

I'm guessing your DRL's are now non-existent as HID's can't ignite at half power (which would be 17watts compared to the normal 35 watts that they burn at)

Just my opinion but they are colored wayyyy too much and as a result your light output will be greatly diminished...

Trending Topics

Old 04-27-05, 07:50 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
I'm guessing your DRL's are now non-existent as HID's can't ignite at half power (which would be 17watts compared to the normal 35 watts that they burn at)

Just my opinion but they are colored wayyyy too much and as a result your light output will be greatly diminished...
I was wondering about the same thing.

I think it's too much. But for show it might work.
Old 04-27-05, 09:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by chuckb
I think it looks decent....but that would suck if they burnt out fast and you couldn't flash your brights. they do look pretty blue, like Rom said, what are they-they definately don't look like stock 4300, but pics of lights can be deceiving.

just thought of something, what do they look like when functioning as drls at half power?
i wonder if it even works at all. at half the power i don't know if the ballasts have enough juice to ignite the hid?
Old 04-27-05, 02:12 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i wonder if it even works at all. at half the power i don't know if the ballasts have enough juice to ignite the hid?

I wonder if the half voltage is bad for ballasts/bulbs?
Old 04-27-05, 03:47 PM
dani3l
Driver

Thanks guys for the feed back, i am going to sell them on ebay right now. I wouldn;t want they ballast to blow out!

Question:
WHen ever my stock alarm goes off, my hids go of as well at a very rapid blinking rate. Why would lexus do this? Would this put stress on the electrical system?
Old 04-27-05, 05:12 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

why dont you make 'em fog lights? it;d look mad nice.. i bought a set of hids long long time ago and thats my pending project since then.. can't wait to do that..
Old 04-27-05, 08:37 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Dont sell them. Just put them in your fogs. It will look a lot better.
Old 04-27-05, 10:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by dani3l
Thanks guys for the feed back, i am going to sell them on ebay right now. I wouldn;t want they ballast to blow out!

Question:
WHen ever my stock alarm goes off, my hids go of as well at a very rapid blinking rate. Why would lexus do this? Would this put stress on the electrical system?
if you analyze the systems, i think the lexus oem systems are designed differently. i was told that the oem system is more robust than the aftermarket kits in terms of sustaining these sudden current flow, so it can be armed with the alarm like that no problem

but with aftermarket kits, you turn it on and off often and i guarantee it blows within 30 mins

so what's teh color temperature?
Old 04-27-05, 10:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by chuckb
I wonder if the half voltage is bad for ballasts/bulbs?
ummm, if it's not enough juice to ignite the system theni think it's ok. but if it's botherline kicking the system off then i think it will hut it big time

Quick Reply: Quadruple HIDs? Too Bright?