GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Big Problem: Seeking Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-05 | 05:44 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

so ted, what ended up being the problem overall? I too am experiencing a very similar problem. My car is barely driveable....feels like it's at maybe 50% power, VSC ON/OFF, and check engine lights are all on. Not to mention the car is sputtering like crazy.
Old 05-16-05 | 06:46 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

How's it running now to this day anymore problems?
Old 05-16-05 | 07:02 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Fellas:

I'm driving the car fine and the VSC ON/OFF and Check Engine Lights ane no longer on, BUT my car still doesn;t have the pick-up and power that it should. Dealer couldn;t do much since it wasn;t showing any codes and told me to bring the car back to them if and when the lights come back on. So far, I have driven 400 miles w/o any lights coming on.

I have a long drive to Atlantic City coming up later this week and that will be a drive of 600 + miles both ways and hopefully all is well.

I did change the TPS to a new one but honestly, I don;t think that was my problem.

Please keep me posted on your situations - I'm confident that we can help you solve your problems - CL memebers are EXTREMELY KNOWLEDGEABLE.

Ted

Last edited by ted920; 05-16-05 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-16-05 | 12:32 PM
nicola
Driver

Originally Posted by ted920
Fellas:

I'm driving thr car fine and the VSC ON/OFF and Check Engien Lights anre no longer on, BUT my car still doesn;t have the pick-up and power that it should. Dealer couldn;t do much since it wasn;t showing any codes and told me to bring the car back to them if and when the lights coem back on. So far, I have driven 400 miles w/o any lights coming on.

I have a long drive to Atlantic City coming up later this week and that will be a drive of 600 + miles both ways and hopefully all is well.

I did change the TPS to a new one but honestly, I don;t think that was my problem.

Please keep me posted on your situations - I'm confident that we can helpo you solve your problems - CL memebers are EXTREMELY KNOWLEDGEABLE.

Ted
Are you keeping up with matinence - clean throttle body, new air filter, clean MAF, check for vaccum leaks, plugs, O2 sensors etc? I checked and replaced all of those and the car is def. more responsive.
Old 05-16-05 | 12:37 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nicola
Are you keeping up with matinence - clean throttle body, new air filter, clean MAF, check for vaccum leaks, plugs, O2 sensors etc? I checked and replaced all of those and the car is def. more responsive.

Clean throttle body and have new air filter too and also have new Torque Master Plugs.

Where do I check for vacuum leaks and 02 sensors? How do I check the sensors?

I haven't had a Transmission Fluid change and the car has 43,000 miles. I am getting that done soon. Might that have an affect on responsiveness?

Ted
Old 05-16-05 | 12:44 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Clean throttle body and have new air filter too and also have new Torque Master Plugs.

I haven't had a Transmission Fluid change and the car has 43,000 miles. I am getting that done soon. Might that have an affect on responsiveness?

Ted

could the TM plugs be causing probs? some people have had mis fire from them.

BTW-My dealer replaced my MAF at 26k miles
Old 05-16-05 | 01:57 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

had these problems before the TM spark plug change.

Ted
Old 05-16-05 | 03:02 PM
nicola
Driver

Ted
O2 sensors are usually due for replacement around 60k, so you'll probably notice an improvment even if its not the main cause of the hesitation. I'm not sure there's a way to test them - I think I remember seeing some steps involving an ohm meter and a pan of boiling water in my old Maxima's service manual, but I don't know the specifics.

For vaccum leaks, just fill a spray bottle with water and dishwashing soap, and spray any suspect vaccum hoses and connectors. Also check your injectors for air leaks - my seals went bad and were shaking the car really badly, in addition to bad gas mileage and ****ty performance. I spent weeks trying to figure it out until I accidently sprayed down by the fuel rail, and bubbles formed. You can also use carb cleaning spray from auto part stores too - the engine idle will decrease if you spray an air leak. Don't do this around any exhaust parts though or you'll be peeling the burnt hair off your arms

I don't think tranny fluid, especially if it's a decent color (candy apple red-ish), would affect motor lag too much. This is like the O2 sensors though, might as well do a drain and fill with your oil changes from now on to keep up with everything.

I'd say try to clean with MAF wires with some carb cleaner, that made a noticable improvement when I did it a while bad. Good luck and keep us posted.

edit - Where in CT are you? I have a friend with an IS that needs some of this small matinence done, maybe we can have a mini-meet with other guys who haven't cleaned their MAF, TB etc.
Old 05-16-05 | 03:19 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

. Also check your injectors for air leaks - my seals went bad and were shaking the car really badly, in addition to bad gas mileage and ****ty performance. I spent weeks trying to figure it out until I accidently sprayed down by the fuel rail, and bubbles formed. You can also use carb cleaning spray from auto part stores too - the engine idle will decrease if you spray an air leak. Don't do this around any exhaust parts though or you'll be peeling the burnt hair off your arms

you checked the injectors with the soapy water also

i changed my injectors or rather upgraded to 310's

just like to check and make sure i did a good job

im also heading down to AC with TED

hey Ted where are you staying ?
Old 05-16-05 | 05:49 PM
nicola
Driver

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
you checked the injectors with the soapy water also

i changed my injectors or rather upgraded to 310's

just like to check and make sure i did a good job

im also heading down to AC with TED

hey Ted where are you staying ?
Yea, I just sprayed them with the soapy water and noticed bubbles. Then the carb cleaner nearly mad the engine stall, so I knew where the leak was.
Old 05-16-05 | 05:52 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Yea, I just sprayed them with the soapy water and noticed bubbles. Then the carb cleaner nearly mad the engine stall, so I knew where the leak was.
thanks man

will do this tomorrow

what other tips you got for me lol

johnny
Old 05-16-05 | 05:55 PM
nicola
Driver

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
thanks man

will do this tomorrow

what other tips you got for me lol

johnny
Don't mess with a pressurized fuel rail That scared the crap out of me.
Old 05-16-05 | 06:20 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Don't mess with a pressurized fuel rail That scared the crap out of me.
too late lol

but it wasnt bad at all

a little cramped thats all ....
Old 05-17-05 | 06:51 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

O2 sensors are usually due for replacement around 60k, so you'll probably notice an improvment even if its not the main cause of the hesitation. I'm not sure there's a way to test them - I think I remember seeing some steps involving an ohm meter and a pan of boiling water in my old Maxima's service manual, but I don't know the specifics.

For vaccum leaks, just fill a spray bottle with water and dishwashing soap, and spray any suspect vaccum hoses and connectors. Also check your injectors for air leaks - my seals went bad and were shaking the car really badly, in addition to bad gas mileage and ****ty performance. I spent weeks trying to figure it out until I accidently sprayed down by the fuel rail, and bubbles formed. You can also use carb cleaning spray from auto part stores too - the engine idle will decrease if you spray an air leak. Don't do this around any exhaust parts though or you'll be peeling the burnt hair off your arms

I don't think tranny fluid, especially if it's a decent color (candy apple red-ish), would affect motor lag too much. This is like the O2 sensors though, might as well do a drain and fill with your oil changes from now on to keep up with everything.

I'd say try to clean with MAF wires with some carb cleaner, that made a noticable improvement when I did it a while bad. Good luck and keep us posted.

edit - Where in CT are you? I have a friend with an IS that needs some of this small matinence done, maybe we can have a mini-meet with other guys who haven't cleaned their MAF, TB etc.

Thats a hell of a GREAT IDEA - to have the mini-meet. Count me in - I'll definately go.

I'm around Hartford area. Where are you and your friend?

Johnny- call me at 860-983-3341 - we can talk about driving down together to AC.

Ted