GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Here are the close ups of my grill!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-01, 12:55 PM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think it will look good on any color because it compliments the chrome in your headlights....and you could always try it see if you like it..and if you don't just pull the chrome right off!! ..That's the best part about this cool mod, if you don't like it make it stock again with no pain and suffering.

One thing that i have to tell you is don't judge the grill until you are completely finished with it looks weird in the process of doing it.

BUT WHEN IT'S DONE....WATCH OUT BLING BLING!!!
Old 06-27-01, 05:12 PM
zz231
Pole Position

Mayur, my gs is white. and the chrome grill looks really good. trust me, you'll love it.
Old 06-27-01, 06:22 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

superjoe....man, u need photography class. j/k like the grill. I want to do that to my dads grill sumtime. Mabye for his b-day
Old 06-28-01, 05:07 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

hey that camera cost me $60...it only works when i'm outside and the sun is out I only use it to show you guys the quick stuff
Old 07-02-01, 08:14 AM
cipher7

Gotta give a huge shout out to xsuperjoex for the great DIY grill treatment. I had the chance to try it out this weekend and I must say that the whole thing took about 40 minutes and it looks absolutely sick!! It definitely accents the headlights and body trim beautifully!!
Attached Thumbnails Here are the close ups of my grill!!!-newgrill2.jpg  
Old 07-02-01, 10:01 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

That's the first Spectra i've seen with the patented chrome grill inserts made by Joe Designs

Now cipher7 when you did it did you take the grill off or not?...what tool did you use to cut the chrome strips?

AND ANOTHER THING!!...i've seen many of you out there already with my grill!!! I love it!!!...hey just post some pics of it on this thread so that i can see them

if you have any hints or special tools share them with us!!

I love'em keep them coming!!!

Old 07-02-01, 11:04 AM
cipher7

Hey Joe,
I took the grill off because it was too damn hot outside to do it out there! Then I used a regular sharp scissors to cut perfectly. Then I used my lady's nail file to angle the tips so they would slant perfectly around the lexus logo. Very easy and very quick! Im now waiting on the next DYI from Joe designs
Old 07-03-01, 05:11 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

LOL
Old 07-03-01, 06:30 AM
cklex

has anyone done this mod for the 2001 gs...the grill is different and when i tried to put the chrome strips on it kept fallin off...anyone come across this problem?
Old 07-03-01, 06:49 AM
MrHorse
Pole Position

Default Chrome stock?

In the latest issue of Motor Trend, there is an ad for a GS430. It's black with a chrome grille. Is that a new option or is that stock on all new GS4's?
Old 07-03-01, 06:59 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

can someone do me a favor and take a close-up picture of the 2001 one grill and show it to me because the ones i've seen look the same as mine

TIA
Old 07-03-01, 02:01 PM
chrislee8
Driver

Default how do you guys really do it?

what the stock grill look like in your car?

how do take the original stuff off to glue the trims pieces?
how do you position the Lexus emblem?
are the trim pieces stick to the emblem strong enough?

show pics how you really do it please?

they look so hot, great job!
Old 07-05-01, 05:07 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Hey chrislee8

The stock grill looks exactly the same but just black...we didn't have to take the emblem off in the front we just worked the trim around it...the trim has a glue built inside of it so all you have to do is cut it to size and put it on...if you get the right size trim it will fit perfectly the first time i did it i used a thicker trim and it looked great from far away but when you came up close to it you could see what i did (it was very messy and uneven)...so i used a thinner trim and it worked perfect i got it to sit flush with the chrome around my grill!

try it...
Old 07-05-01, 06:20 AM
chrislee8
Driver

Default oh, oh, oh

i got it, very good. thanks for the info.

btw, you should update your pic in cardomain.com.
Old 07-13-01, 11:58 AM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

Default Chrome grill...

At first, I thought that chroming the grill on my white GS would make it look ghetto, but I decided to try it anyways.
The result was excellent! The grill added just the right amount of class to the car and made it look much better from the front end. It looked as if the car was designed to be like that from the factory. Unfortunately, the trim does not fit perfectly, and its slowly coming apart over the last month or so. Is there another way to do this to make this conversion look more professional and last longer? Thanks

Quick Reply: Here are the close ups of my grill!!!