GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Putting racing fuel (100 octane) in the GS

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-05, 12:05 AM
yoshi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewGS4
Thanks guys for your thoughts. So its a big waste of money to put in the race fuel. WIll stick to the 93 premium from mobile/exxon.

I was planning on going down to the track this weekend with some of my mustang friends. Wanted to get some times on my GS and wanted every possible edge.
I think I will wait to get my 75k mile service done and tweak my suspension a bit before heading down there.
Try NOS
Old 05-05-05, 02:23 AM
RRocket
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

I've owned drag cars and bikes. It certainly would work on a GS400. While you won't notice HUGE power gains, it will keep the car from pre-igntion, especially once the engine gets real warm, or if you are racing on a very hot day. The GS has the ability to advance the ignition timing based on what the knock sensors are saying. I can tell you that I've heard a BIT of pre-igntion on very hot days with my GS even though I was running 94 Sunoco. You'll only hear the rattling for a split second, as the engine will retard the ignition in a hurry to prevent the knock. But if the engine is retardeing the ignition, you are losing power. It won't be alot of lost HP, but some HP will be lost nonetheless. I only put in 100 octane when I'm going to the track, and usually only a half or a 1/4 tank....(a full tank of fuel weighs too much!!)
Old 05-05-05, 04:10 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always want to try it but they are so darn expensive here 5.00+ per Gallon. Also, might as well try aircraft fuel, they are 10.00+ each and should be a lot better than 100 octane!
Old 05-05-05, 04:22 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aero fuels are a different weight than auto fuels, will create a different a/f ratio.
Old 05-05-05, 09:04 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewGS4
Thanks guys for your thoughts. So its a big waste of money to put in the race fuel. WIll stick to the 93 premium from mobile/exxon.

I was planning on going down to the track this weekend with some of my mustang friends. Wanted to get some times on my GS and wanted every possible edge.
I think I will wait to get my 75k mile service done and tweak my suspension a bit before heading down there.
You have MUSTANG friends ??? !!!

Old 05-06-05, 09:40 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,431 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Well there is one other thing that would add HP. The advanced timming answer is correct but also if ........ the car was running on the rich side, race gas is very lean and would lean out the air fuel mixture, thus creating more HP.
Old 05-06-05, 10:26 PM
JyGS430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
for those who can get 93 gas then it's probably a waste of money. for those of us who are getting crappy 91 here, i haev known couple of guys who's getting smoother runs by adding a little bit of 100 with mostly 91
Henry, the guys who mix 100 w/ 91 octane, are they from the Bay Area? I haven't seen a gas stations w/ racing type gas anymore. There used to be one on S. Linden in SSF, but that was many years ago, no longer available.
Old 05-07-05, 06:34 AM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jgscott
Well there is one other thing that would add HP. The advanced timming answer is correct but also if ........ the car was running on the rich side, race gas is very lean and would lean out the air fuel mixture, thus creating more HP.
Your excactly oposite.If your not sure or just dont know please dont mis inform those who believe everything they read.
Again, higher octane gas burns slower.It doesnt lean anything out.All it is used for is the prevention of pre ignition or detonation, or knocking.
Your car will make more power with the lowest octane gas you can get away with as long as you stay off of the knock sensors.They pull back the timing when the detect knocking.
In the winter I think you can get away with 89, but I still use 91 just cause I dont want to leave any power on the table.
Old 05-09-05, 11:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JyGS430
Henry, the guys who mix 100 w/ 91 octane, are they from the Bay Area? I haven't seen a gas stations w/ racing type gas anymore. There used to be one on S. Linden in SSF, but that was many years ago, no longer available.
yup, that's here in south bay. i think it's somewhere in 87 south towards south dan jose. if you want i can probably dig out the info for you

my friend with the wrx got it before and he said it's very good. i am not surprised since his car is turbo and need more juice
Old 05-10-05, 10:33 PM
JyGS430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, that's here in south bay. i think it's somewhere in 87 south towards south dan jose. if you want i can probably dig out the info for you

my friend with the wrx got it before and he said it's very good. i am not surprised since his car is turbo and need more juice
thanks for the info, but i don't think i need it that badly to go down to the south bay for it. plus i'm sure its pricey.
Old 05-10-05, 11:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JyGS430
thanks for the info, but i don't think i need it that badly to go down to the south bay for it. plus i'm sure its pricey.
i forgot how much already, but he said the funny is the price of those 100 octane doesn't appreciate the same rate as the normal gas we use. it's more steady
Old 05-11-05, 10:02 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's about $5 near my house
Old 05-15-05, 06:24 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, there is a lot of mis-information in this thread. LMSGuy certainly has it straight, and a couple of others.

"race" gas or higher octane isn't going to lean you out any. Like LMS said, anything above what your engine needs to prevent pre-ignition or detonation is just throwing money away basically.

Any improvement that was noticed by using the high 100 type of octane might have been from something else, like a cleaning of the injectors or something. (or it was humid, or hot, etc. it's hard for any of us to know when the ECU is taking out timing, and how much.)

The other thing that bugged me was the comments that flatly state "race gas won't make you faster". Au Contraire'!!!

Certain race gases are "oxygenated". These gases, which you can get from several places, but usually in 5 gallon cans, or small or large drums, *WILL* make you faster. Some might make you lean out just a little, others require no A/F changes at all. They also come in everything from 87 octane up to 100+ octane. Be prepared to pay $10 - $25/gallon.

Oh yeah, using Aviation fuel is definitely not great either. It'll run in your car/bike, and has high octane, but, it's designed for higher altitudes. Ask any racer, or the Shell Answer Man.