GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

which wideband to go with

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-05, 08:50 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with LXO......I would definitely go with the fuel pressure gauge. The wideband is nice to have, but it is primarily a tuning tool......how often are you going to be playing with the piggy back to really need it? Go have your car dyno tuned, get some pressure gauges, and you should be good to go. If you are dead set on getting one, I would try to do the wideband like Lxo did his...that is pretty cool....by the way, LXO, which one did you use, it seems perfect for the location.

As far as the location of the other gauges, I would do down low where the ashtray is. If you have peak hold/ memory gauges you really dont need them to be at eye level...with the exception of the boost gauge. I know it has been said that you can still get air flow, but I aint taking any chances of sweating like a beast in August while looking at my cool gauges.

Here's my thoughts.......

Boost gauge on the pillar using a standard guage pod that is molded into the pillar, then recovered to look factory....perfect for eye level when driving.

Wideband in the clock location...stealth mode.

Oil pressure, fuel pressure, and a dual temp guage in the ashtray location....which is also an easy location to fabricate for. When I say dual temp, there are temp guages that can read two inputs on one guage.....Blitz DC I believe does this.

This is probably what I will do with mine.

I need to decide fast......its coming up in the near future....
Old 05-10-05, 08:59 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
I agree with LXO......I would definitely go with the fuel pressure gauge. The wideband is nice to have, but it is primarily a tuning tool......how often are you going to be playing with the piggy back to really need it? Go have your car dyno tuned, get some pressure gauges, and you should be good to go. If you are dead set on getting one, I would try to do the wideband like Lxo did his...that is pretty cool....by the way, LXO, which one did you use, it seems perfect for the location.

As far as the location of the other gauges, I would do down low where the ashtray is. If you have peak hold/ memory gauges you really dont need them to be at eye level...with the exception of the boost gauge. I know it has been said that you can still get air flow, but I aint taking any chances of sweating like a beast in August while looking at my cool gauges.

Here's my thoughts.......

Boost gauge on the pillar using a standard guage pod that is molded into the pillar, then recovered to look factory....perfect for eye level when driving.

Wideband in the clock location...stealth mode.

Oil pressure, fuel pressure, and a dual temp guage in the ashtray location....which is also an easy location to fabricate for. When I say dual temp, there are temp guages that can read two inputs on one guage.....Blitz DC I believe does this.

This is probably what I will do with mine.

I need to decide fast......its coming up in the near future....

here's the one I bought.
http://www.plxdevices.com/M-Series_...productinfo.htm

it fits like a glove in the clock location (one of the reasons why I bought it). It's a little more expensive then most but I heard good things about this one. The only real issue I came across about the location is that your eyes keep wanting to watch the numbers move which gets distracting. While driving, the numbers are constantly moving which looks like a stop watch. I had one of my good friends ask me if the time was in Military Time. LOL

Overall, I'm very happy with it and it does add a "cool factor" once people know what it is. I have another suprise project which will start shortly which will involve my new Luxury Motorworks FMU and more gauges.
Old 05-10-05, 09:08 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Which model did you go with, and did you have to take it apart to fit in the clock location, basically take the shell off of it.....or did it just mate up perfectly? Im trying to see if this is something I would want to tackle myself.

I watched a car get tuned last week with the AEM wideband guage display, I know what you mean as far as the numbers moving non stop....I can see where that would be distracting for sure.

By the way, Johnny, the prices you showed for the widebands IS for the displays only....not the entire unit.
Old 05-11-05, 09:21 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which model did you go with, and did you have to take it apart to fit in the clock location, basically take the shell off of it.....or did it just mate up perfectly? Im trying to see if this is something I would want to tackle myself.

I watched a car get tuned last week with the AEM wideband guage display, I know what you mean as far as the numbers moving non stop....I can see where that would be distracting for sure.

By the way, Johnny, the prices you showed for the widebands IS for the displays only....not the entire unit.
Thanks Jeff

i wasnt sure ..thogut uit was some super special

have another question

is it me or does the stock nave get removed with only 4 bolts
once you pop out the vent and dash does the NAv just come out ??

and if it does it cool to unplug while i run wires and what not
Old 05-11-05, 07:16 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

If I remember correctly (its been awhile), it is just two bolts up top and two below...just like a head unit. You should be fine unplugging the head unit, to be on the safe side do it whil the ignition is turned off, and plug it back up before you turn the ignition back on. That may not be necessary, but its the safe route.
Old 05-11-05, 07:40 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Jeff, I bought the M300 plug & play unit...
http://www.plxdevices.com/products_M...ontrollers.htm

The unit bolted (double sided tape) right up to the clock location. Slight modications are needed to make it fit perfect.. I just took a small dremel and grinded down some material in the clock location I did remove the plexi glass tinted screen on the unit because it made the numbers hard to read during the bright day light. Now everything is good to go. I promise you it won't take you longer than 1 hour to remove the clock and get the unit installed in its place.

Ken
Old 05-12-05, 07:01 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Cool, thanks ken....I think I will be have to copy your install....hope you dont mind my lack of creativity.
Old 05-12-05, 07:48 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Cool, thanks ken....I think I will be have to copy your install....hope you dont mind my lack of creativity.

haha.. No problem bro... Just give me a big shout out when you post pics in your thread..
Old 06-02-05, 09:58 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Johnny, did you hook up your wideband 02 sensor yet on your exhaust?? If so, where did you weld it? there is not alot of room on the driver side exhaust and not much moer on the pass.. side. Is'nt it suppose to be before the catalytic converter which leaves a short spot on the header.??

Thanks,
Ron G.

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 06-02-05 at 05:35 PM.