GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Teasers b/c you love *** lights....

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-05, 11:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow, damn, a lot of information here man, thanks, i almost want to move this to lighting forum.

so the reflector that you said you can bend to create more purple light, you have to do it with the projector off the headlights huh?
Old 05-12-05, 11:32 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope you dont bend any reflectors, its the sheild its a metal piece that covers the bottom half of the projector (not to allow any light that reflects upward to be sent into incoming dirvers eyes) and in the middle there is a cutof design which typicaly looks like _______/`````````` now that piece is metal and on most projectors it is very easy to bend and yes it is recommended you take the projector apart but you dont have to if you have sufficient clearence then you put ur thumbs in the middle and press on it and bend it only slightly about 2-3 mm you can tell by looking directly above the sheild. Then put everything back togather and turn em on and walla depanding on how far u bend it and how good u do it and what type of projector you have you will have a ton of blue/purple at ur cutof.
Old 05-13-05, 12:57 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

vicestan you sound like you would be the perfect contestant for a detailed DIY.....

how about it buddy? seriously this is awesome info!
Old 05-13-05, 02:10 AM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UptownGS
vicestan you sound like you would be the perfect contestant for a detailed DIY.....

how about it buddy? seriously this is awesome info!
Second that Id love to know more
Old 05-13-05, 02:52 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow...awesome job
Old 05-13-05, 06:59 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Q45 projectors dont bolt on. Not even close. I had the retro and the Q45 has the flicker. Sure its not as intense as the s2000 or BMW but its there. By looking in your gallery at your retro how do you adjust your lights up and down? Heres the cut off with the q45. The reason we do the Q45 is because its not common on most cars. I cant really tell a diff in output on the road since my windshield was tinted. It also looks better IMO than a single projector.

Old 05-13-05, 10:07 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Hey guys well if you want a detailed DIY then I guess I have no choice but to do it, il write one up w/ pictures asap. Now here in illinois were not allowed to tint the front wind sheild : / oh well I more light for me to see . For each there own and for those who like the q45 then be my guest and install them and I dont know if you did the retro your self but he q45 mounting points line up almost perfectly with the existing mounts for either the halogen or Hid reflector. Yes the lexus gs headlight is Ideal for a q45 projector because its so big and not many headlights can accomodate its if I remember correctly 7 inch diameter. You asked about my retorfit? well if you did I placed the projector On to the reflector thus eliminating any hastle with the mounting gear. IMO if you realllllllllllyy like the q45 (how it looks) then why not its your money your car get some!. Im a member at www.Hidplanet.com and ive read pretty much everything there is to read about hid lights and ive done my share so ive seen Alot of q45 retors and honestly its old. You dont have to follow any trend like I said before its all to your liking but if you are going to spend $400+ on a headlight retro, then why not get projectors that will turn night into day (Oh see the light my son) amen...
Oh and PS. someone was amazed how all that hid stuff fit onto a halogen headlight well its pretty much a Hd housing. All the mounting points for the ballast are there you just have to dremel out a little hole for the wire and there is even a place to mount the leveling motor. Halogen are the best for retors b/c the platform would be stable and if say your not going to use lexus ballast (the big once you see in the first pictures posted) then you wont have as many holes to cover.

Last edited by vicestan; 05-13-05 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-13-05, 10:17 AM
beauphus
Pole Position

this thread makes me wanna do a retro...very informative to say the least...

vicestan how much for you to do an LS retro on my GS430????
Old 05-13-05, 10:52 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GammaLex
Q45 projectors dont bolt on. Not even close. I had the retro and the Q45 has the flicker. Sure its not as intense as the s2000 or BMW but its there. By looking in your gallery at your retro how do you adjust your lights up and down? Heres the cut off with the q45. The reason we do the Q45 is because its not common on most cars. I cant really tell a diff in output on the road since my windshield was tinted. It also looks better IMO than a single projector.

ahhhh this picture again!

I love this picture.... see before I didn't think the Q45 had a real good cutoff line.... but i knew the Q45's really did a good job of lighting things up.... but we have to give it up to the Q45 because it sits so high above the ground and does a much better job of dispersing the light then a lowered retrofit Q45 headlight. but thats a great shot! very impressive seeing a cutoff like that from what looks like a pretty decent length from light source to wall output. That looks somewhere approx 50feet and still amazing cutoff.... .i'm stoked!

if Gammalex is saying that the Q45's have cutoff also.... then I'm really excited b/c I'm sitting pretty low and my suspension will definitely cause a bit of flicker then!!!

regarding vicestan..... if you mean that the Q45 projector's 7" facade is a good fit w/ the GS headlight in that you dont need a beauty ring to sit on the face? yes you are correct but it doesn't exactly bolt on in the back as I'm sure you can imagine. Plus the Q45's are so large that you cannot just simply machine a mounting bracket to line up the projectors with backside of the headlight flush. This was the main reason why i didn't tackle this mod myself. Mine would have been a JBweld mess!

a pic of a normal projector bracket from another vehicle..... ideal setup for any retrofit IMO.
Attached Thumbnails Teasers b/c you love ***  lights....-retrofit-10.jpg  
Old 05-13-05, 11:25 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Hmm well as far as putting ls projectors and the price I cant say right now b/c im working on my retro right now and once I have all the fabrication stuff perfected il see from there. The thing with the Ls projectors is that in order to utilize there amazing light spread they have to be as close to the front lense as possible, thus having a weee bit of problem there on how close to get them w/o sacrifising much light output yet still keeping a factory like look and besides good lucky finding those projectors lol not to many new ls's crash so its pretty hard to get a hold of them but il ask around and get back to you on that. Now back to the q45, what I ment to say was its ideal because there is so much clearence in the gs headlight and yes you dont need a bazel to cover the front of the projector well actually I dont even think they make them. The picture of the q45 output looks like the projectors have phillips ultions 6K bulbs b/c the light is way to blue thus so much color at the cutof b/c ive seen pictures of q45's with regular 4300k bulbs and the cut of was as yellow as the sun.
Old 05-13-05, 11:41 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vicestan
Hmm well as far as putting ls projectors and the price I cant say right now b/c im working on my retro right now and once I have all the fabrication stuff perfected il see from there. The thing with the Ls projectors is that in order to utilize there amazing light spread they have to be as close to the front lense as possible, thus having a weee bit of problem there on how close to get them w/o sacrifising much light output yet still keeping a factory like look and besides good lucky finding those projectors lol not to many new ls's crash so its pretty hard to get a hold of them but il ask around and get back to you on that. Now back to the q45, what I ment to say was its ideal because there is so much clearence in the gs headlight and yes you dont need a bazel to cover the front of the projector well actually I dont even think they make them. The picture of the q45 output looks like the projectors have phillips ultions 6K bulbs b/c the light is way to blue thus so much color at the cutof b/c ive seen pictures of q45's with regular 4300k bulbs and the cut of was as yellow as the sun.
wouldn't that have more to do w/ the bulb and ballast rather then the actual projector?

I was originally going to go w/ the 4300k b/c I like pure white.... but after seeing these 6000k on mine I'm starting to like the effect. It definitely seperates us from the rest of the ppl out there.

I see the dilema you are talking about Vicestan.... IMO I would mount the LS projectors further up protruding into the headlight rather then mounting it on the reflector lens. Have you measured if you have enough clearance behind the headlight on your car yet? anyways.... i'd mount it forward into the the headlight past the base approx 2".... I think a custom bezel would look awesome! That way you retain more output, get a NEW oem look. Although I'm interested in seeing how your fitment right now is going to pan out later when you mount them..... either way, should be an interesting week.
Old 05-13-05, 11:56 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Yeah my retro is a pain b/c of the way I mounted the projector but it does have enough clearence Im going to make the back look as clean as possible. The ballast does not affect the light in any way it simply powers up the bulb. I see that you indeed have 6k ultions and those things are expansive but, since the higher K you get less light so as far as your projectors go its ok but if you had the LS or the s2000 projectors there would be no point in putting the bulbs with less output in projectors that produce the best output... you see the dilema here?. Since I have my headlight apart I can look at it and its pretty hard to tell how the outcome with the ls projector will look. Its definatly worth every penny but if t just doesnt look right I would settle for s2000 or Acura TL projectors, you spend about a little less and there more avaialble. I studied the LS projector from some pictures and with a little fabrication and custom color paint it will look Good b/c the projector will technicaly be floating in the air and will be almost touching the front lense so If I had a pair Im sure I can make them look really good in fact im going to write up some plans and ideas right now!
Old 05-13-05, 01:23 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vicestan
Hey guys well if you want a detailed DIY then I guess I have no choice but to do it, il write one up w/ pictures asap. Now here in illinois were not allowed to tint the front wind sheild : / oh well I more light for me to see . For each there own and for those who like the q45 then be my guest and install them and I dont know if you did the retro your self but he q45 mounting points line up almost perfectly with the existing mounts for either the halogen or Hid reflector. Yes the lexus gs headlight is Ideal for a q45 projector because its so big and not many headlights can accomodate its if I remember correctly 7 inch diameter. You asked about my retorfit? well if you did I placed the projector On to the reflector thus eliminating any hastle with the mounting gear. IMO if you realllllllllllyy like the q45 (how it looks) then why not its your money your car get some!. Im a member at www.Hidplanet.com and ive read pretty much everything there is to read about hid lights and ive done my share so ive seen Alot of q45 retors and honestly its old. You dont have to follow any trend like I said before its all to your liking but if you are going to spend $400+ on a headlight retro, then why not get projectors that will turn night into day (Oh see the light my son) amen...
Oh and PS. someone was amazed how all that hid stuff fit onto a halogen headlight well its pretty much a Hd housing. All the mounting points for the ballast are there you just have to dremel out a little hole for the wire and there is even a place to mount the leveling motor. Halogen are the best for retors b/c the platform would be stable and if say your not going to use lexus ballast (the big once you see in the first pictures posted) then you wont have as many holes to cover.

damn blink my eyes and look at the info popping up

i love it it keep it coming

q45 bolt on ....Stan p[lease share lol

love to see it done

need all the help i can get

thanks johnny
Old 05-13-05, 01:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man if you can do a detailed diy i am sure you will be apprecaited by EVERYONE here. it all sounds so hard and you seem to have all the details! everyone is waiting.

and maybe we should talk more when you are reason, i would definitely love to have more flickering on my sc430, and myabe one day i should have projectors retro on my gs4
Old 05-13-05, 01:53 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

T L W you going to do a q45 retro also ??? and dont worry guys il make A D I Y soon, im already taking pictures through the process of my retro. Oh and rominl you got a sc? nice nice well I have never worked with sc projectors but I hear they are really good. by looking at the sc headlight Im pretty sure the lexus LS projectors can be fitted in there, the reflective surface on the bottom has to be cut a little to accomodate the reflector but other then that it should even work with your auto leveling motors . Im going to try and find some pictures of the sc output but I hear its really not bad at all so I dont think there worth retrofitting but as far as flickering goes im sure you can get more purple/blue at the cut of well im back to work on my headlight im kinda frustrated with the back of the housing but if what im about to do works out then its all gravy

Last edited by vicestan; 05-13-05 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Teasers b/c you love *** lights....