GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

L-tuned side skirt

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-01, 04:26 AM
hsls
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

manaray,

So what you are saying is that when the dealer received my GS430 and installed the L-Tuned equipment(Side skirting, grill, shocks/springs, exhaust and badging) the steering ECU was part of that install.....I don't think so. When the vehicle was ordered it was a stock GS430 it wasn't until after it arrived at the dealership that it was modified. If you call L-Tuned they will tell you that the steering ECU on the 430 is the upgraded ECU and that they only sell the ECU for the 400/300. So your saying the the dealer was full of s@#t is incorrect - L-Tuned said that it is not available for the 430. Now if you think that they don't know what they are talking about then everybody (including me) who bought their product is in trouble.

hsls
Old 06-22-01, 05:08 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While it may be true, let's consider this...a factory trained Lexus Technician should know the answer to that, right? Well let's see, a factory trained Lexus Technician installed my steering ECU without one word of "warning"...you think he would PURPOSELY do work (for FREE mind you) to change out a Steering ECU that is no different than the one already there? Maybe he a masochist?

Also considering that Steve is a Master Parts guy for TRD/L-Tuned, I think he would probably know too...

Also, why is there no note on the L-Tuned web page about it? Even on the price list...

MAYBE the person you spoke to at L-Tuned was wrong...maybe Lexus just started to install those on the GS430's recently (I bought my GS430 last year when they first came out)...

Who knows for sure...I'm sure Steve can find out...
Old 06-22-01, 06:45 AM
hsls
Driver School Candidate

Manaray,

I'm not looking to pick any fights here, I'm just passing information that I have found out. Here is a quote from RealMarty:
DAMN! I hate it when this happens. I'm absolutely wrong and hsls has it right. I was comparing my GS 400 with other 400s that had an upgraded ecu. And when I test drove an L-Tuned GS 430 the saleman I spoke to then was full of it when he told me I'd have to upgrade the ecu just like on the 400s.
I just got off the phone with L-Tuned and they confirmed that the program in the GS 430 is the same program as the L-Tuned steering ecu. It's not the same part number but it is the same software. So buying an L-tuned steering ecu for a GS 430 is redundant.
That was from the thread "L-Tuned Steering ECU different from Stock?"

Regarding the information or lack there of on L-Tuned's website.....you're right there is no mention of it - there is also nothing addressing the GS430 either only the 300/400. I find it hard to believe that a company that only sells a handfull of merchandise would not know about the products they sell.

There is another post that addresses this same issue - where whitediamond installed a new ECU (L-Tuned) that had the same part number as his stock ECU.

hsls

Last edited by hsls; 06-22-01 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-22-01, 07:36 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I'd recommend you give Steve a call directly for prices - shipping is different to different areas of the country.

And, at least for a while (if congress keeps moving the way it is), no sales tax if you don't live in CA! Of course I will list what I'm supposed to my my 2001 returns .

Steve's number is 800 908 6968 x2381.
Old 06-22-01, 06:17 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, I'm not trying to pick a fight either, but if the info is true, I find it very hard to believe that we just NOW got that piece of information.

As some people mentioned in the other thread, maybe the GS430 does have an upgraded ECU but it may not be the same as the original ECU...

Personally, I noticed a difference when I upgraded. I don't think it's mental either because I had VERY low expectations of it...I had heard that it just makes a small improvement, not a huge one so I wasn't really expecting much...but there was a big difference. The handling became much "heavier" (which is good) than stock..

Well I guess Steve is now on the case...hopefully, he can get us some definitive answers!
Old 06-23-01, 09:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts
Default A new theory...

Maybe everyone's right... here's how that could be.

Maybe Lexus didn't start using the L-Tuned ECU from the exact start of the 2001 model year GS430. Maybe GS430's coming off the line after a certain point had the L-Tuned ECU and ones before it didn't. And maybe they did that because they've seen how many darned aftermarket ECUs they're selling and realized the market wants the ECU so they just put it in the stock car.

This would mean manaray isn't crazy (at least for that reason anyway)

hsls isn't lying.

L-Tuned/TRD staff isn't lying.

Steve is justifyably confused.

Hey Steve - maybe ya can check with some of your honcho contacts on this theory. :-)
Old 06-25-01, 06:07 AM
hsls
Driver School Candidate

Bitkuhuna,

While appreciate your neutrality in the matter there is one thing that bothers me and that is your choice of wording.
This would mean manaray isn't crazy (at least for that reason anyway)
hsls isn't lying.
L-Tuned/TRD staff isn't lying.
Steve is justifyably confused.
manaray isn't crazy and Steve is justifyably confused, but L-Tuned/TRD staff and I are lying. Two questions on this.
1. What do I have to gain by lying about it and
2. Why would L-Tuned/TRD lie about it if everyone on this forum would buy it simply for the fact that they think that it might increase the performace of their
vehicle.

Think about it.
hsls
Old 06-25-01, 08:10 AM
clivej
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,
hsls,maybe i'm reading this wrong,but is english your first language? he did not say you were lying,he said you are not!.Anyway, previous post have also stated that the original gs4s came stock with the steering ecu now sold as the L- tuned but they were changed to the present ecu because they were orininally thought to be too stiff,so therefore not all gs 400s are going to need to change the ECUs, this could be the same situation.
PS. if it was not for this board a lot of stuff that benifits the cars we love would not be known and hence would not be improved opon by lexus.
(chill-out guys, i'd rather trust steve than the majority the mechanics at the dealerships, unless you know you are speaking to the(Lexus) master mechanic.
Old 06-25-01, 09:39 AM
hsls
Driver School Candidate

clivej,

To answer your question - Yes, English is my first language. Were you not able to read my post? To make it simple for you I don't like the implication that I lied in the first place. What do I have to gain by doing it - maybe sales in ECU will decline and I can corner the market and buy in bulk?
There is another post titled "Is L-Tuned Steering different from Stock?" where Steve finally speaks out. Remember I brought this to the attention of the board and all it took to find out the information was to make a simple toll free call to L-Tuned. But then again who are they to know what works with what.....right.

hsls
Old 06-25-01, 04:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

hsls - you're right, shouldn't have worded it that way. Perhaps 'mistaken' would have been better than 'lied', NOT that I'm saying you're mistaken either... I was just trying to say something that seemed to fit all the differing opinions to where everyone was in fact right.

I also note that you were told in prior posts to chill out, so I think you need to just relax... we're not all lawyers here who type messages to perfectly say what we mean.

Disclaimer: None of the above is my actual opinion. In fact, I don't have opinions. In opinion, I don't have facts. In either case, who the hell cares? I don't know what I'm talkin' about...