GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is fiberglass rally that bad ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-01, 07:16 AM
Just4Kix

Just wondering if anyone can give the pro's and cons of fiberglass kits vs polyeurethane (sp?) . Is it true that poly's can't take heat too well ? What are you guy's experience with the kits ? Is fiberglass that easy to damage ?

Thanks for the info .
Old 06-19-01, 08:22 AM
chino78
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all depends on how the kit was molded. If it was sprayed in by a chopper gun the quality and durability was sacraficed for quantity. This method is a lot quicker than handlaying fiberglass into a mold strip by strip. When the strips mend together it gives it more flexablity and it will take a bigger impact. FIberglass kits are no where near as durable as polyurethane and you will have problems getting a paint match with poly, it will also cost more to paint. If you want the design of a fiberglass kit but you're weary of how a imparticular piece will hold up go with a separate piece from a different company that's poly. For instance you want the win kit but you're worried about hitting parking stumps, go with Win sides and rear but say a Lsportline front or RMM front. A lot of my friend with ricers have fiberglass kits and only a handfull have had any problems and what a coincidence those are the ones that think they can drift with there front wheel drive honda's.

Just my .02
Old 06-19-01, 01:09 PM
Just4Kix

Hmmm .... so how are we supposed to know how it was molded ? I'm looking particularly at the Veilside kit . I'm weary of mixing an matching kits cuz sometimes they don't fit well from what I've heard . So unless I hear some horror stories of fiberglass being REALLY bad I think I can just be a little careful with it . PLUS it can be repaired right ?

So anyone know where I can get the best deal on the Veilside kit ?

Thanks ...

Old 06-19-01, 01:27 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Just4Kix
Hmmm .... so how are we supposed to know how it was molded ? I'm looking particularly at the Veilside kit . I'm weary of mixing an matching kits cuz sometimes they don't fit well from what I've heard . So unless I hear some horror stories of fiberglass being REALLY bad I think I can just be a little careful with it . PLUS it can be repaired right ?

So anyone know where I can get the best deal on the Veilside kit ?

Thanks ...

You're weary of mixing kits cuz they don't fit well.......... as in the looks? Or the fitment on the car? If they're all genuine kits they should fit perfect no matter how you mix, it's just that some kits look awkward with other pieces, that's all.

Fiberglass can be repaired. But Urethane won't break in the first place.

Best deal on VeilSide: Maybe ask Steve from Carson Toyota. He has close ties with VeilSide I believe.
Old 06-19-01, 04:24 PM
chino78
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Veilside kits are handlaid. And Steve will get you a great price on Veilside stuff. I don't know who it was that I was talking to but there is someone on this forum that has a veilside kit with rmm front. It looks really good.
Old 06-20-01, 12:12 PM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gtautosports.com has a good price for the veilside kit. I believe it's around $1700.
Old 06-20-01, 01:15 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats gsnav that has the RMM/Veilside kit

and so does RMMGS3 i think, his name is kirby hasn't been around for a while...