GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

ECT power button

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-05, 03:42 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default ECT power button

Well after having the car a few weeks i finally remembered to try the ECT power button. I turned it on before i left the house and man what a huge difference it makes in performace.. I barely had to press the gas and the car just took off... Anyway can i press this button while driving? Someone told me that if you do its like having nitrous or something that the car just pulls a bit when you press that button... Is that true? I haven't done that yet and won't until i know its safe..

Thanks Tony
Old 05-14-05, 07:04 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Well after having the car a few weeks i finally remembered to try the ECT power button. I turned it on before i left the house and man what a huge difference it makes in performace.. I barely had to press the gas and the car just took off... Anyway can i press this button while driving? Someone told me that if you do its like having nitrous or something that the car just pulls a bit when you press that button... Is that true? I haven't done that yet and won't until i know its safe..

Thanks Tony
The ect switch in power mode allows the tranny to kick down a little quicker under wot. There is not a huge difference in performance between normal and power. Who ever told you its like having nitrous is handing you a line of bull.
Old 05-14-05, 07:06 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I have a 99 gs 300 and that pwr button helps out alot the whole car feels smoother and the engine sounds less strained and it does make a big difference imo.
Old 05-14-05, 07:33 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

You got me. The secret’s out about the power mode. When I switch it on, my suspension is stiffen by 50%, the engine gets a 40hp boost, and a rear wing spoiler deploys to increase down force. Now if I can only remember to keep that nitrous bottle filled.
The following users liked this post:
gnunez (04-19-23)
Old 05-14-05, 11:57 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rheiy
You got me. The secret’s out about the power mode. When I switch it on, my suspension is stiffen by 50%, the engine gets a 40hp boost, and a rear wing spoiler deploys to increase down force. Now if I can only remember to keep that nitrous bottle filled.
lol

Tony
what else did the guy that said that's a 40hp button tell you
Old 05-14-05, 05:16 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

i think what the PWR/SNOW button does is remap the throttle response for specific performance traits. in PWR mode, the infamous lag is minimized by the ecu and the tranny downshifts sooner than usual when you stomp on the gas.

in SNOW mode, you get purely smooth, linear acceleration rates to prevent tire skid, no matter how hard to hit the pedal.
Old 05-14-05, 07:14 PM
Broadway
Rookie

dunno about SNOW mode, dont have it in my car, but ECT (Electronic Controlled Transmission) Power is a tranny setting, nothing to do with engine or the ECU.

all it does it lhe trannsmission downsshifts quicker, and revs higher b4 changing gears. that down shift is what makes the car just take off.
Old 05-14-05, 07:21 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

in my 95 ES, the power mode is way more of a drastic change than in my GS. makes the trans in the ES very aggresive. in my GS I barely notice a diff.
Old 05-14-05, 07:30 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chuckb
in my 95 ES, the power mode is way more of a drastic change than in my GS. makes the trans in the ES very aggresive. in my GS I barely notice a diff.
My wife's 2000 es does not have a power mode - just a switch to turn off over drive.
Old 05-14-05, 07:32 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rheiy
My wife's 2000 es does not have a power mode - just a switch to turn off over drive.
hey rheiy-that's a bummer. I wonder when/why the ES doesn't have power button anymore?
Old 05-14-05, 07:35 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Broadway
dunno about SNOW mode, dont have it in my car, but ECT (Electronic Controlled Transmission) Power is a tranny setting, nothing to do with engine or the ECU.

all it does it lhe trannsmission downsshifts quicker, and revs higher b4 changing gears. that down shift is what makes the car just take off.
doesn't the transmission have something to do with the engine? I also thought that the ECU had something to do with the shifting. There was a thread here not long ago that was about resetting the ECU and getting the GS to run completely different. The ECU learns the way the car is driven therefore controls the way the GS runs? i forget exactly what is was about but i do remember reading that the ECU learns and controls the car the way the driver drives. example, if the ECU is reset and the driver drives aggressively, the car will drive aggressively (shift more aggressively?) and if the driver drives very calmly when ECU is reset, the car drives very soft and does not shift so aggressively. but anyways... back on topic.

I don't notice a HUGE difference, but i do notice that the GS will shift quicker than when the ECT PWR is off.

alot of babble in there...
Old 05-14-05, 07:39 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

hey rheiy-that's a bummer. I wonder when/why the ES doesn't have power button anymore?
I guess cost cutting. Lexus also went with a single exhaust tip as well. I did like the look of the double tips on the older es. At least the car has HID's
Old 05-14-05, 07:43 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrianGS430
doesn't the transmission have something to do with the engine? I also thought that the ECU had something to do with the shifting. There was a thread here not long ago that was about resetting the ECU and getting the GS to run completely different. The ECU learns the way the car is driven therefore controls the way the GS runs? i forget exactly what is was about but i do remember reading that the ECU learns and controls the car the way the driver drives. example, if the ECU is reset and the driver drives aggressively, the car will drive aggressively (shift more aggressively?) and if the driver drives very calmly when ECU is reset, the car drives very soft and does not shift so aggressively. but anyways... back on topic.

I don't notice a HUGE difference, but i do notice that the GS will shift quicker than when the ECT PWR is off.

alot of babble in there...
From a dead stop, my gs shifts the same under wot in normal and power modes. If I'm crusing on the hwy, the tranny will down shift quicker in power mode. That's about it...no more no less.
Old 05-14-05, 10:30 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

don't know..

Originally Posted by tmf2004

Thanks Tony

Last edited by flossn; 05-14-05 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-15-05, 12:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

you don't need that for family car, that's why they have the is300

and yes you can push on the power button any time you want

Quick Reply: ECT power button