GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS430 cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-05, 08:26 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

knowtoe04
Car's running fine (fingers crossed and knocking on wood), and check your PM for the name and telephone number of the service advisor. Good luck.

JB
Old 07-26-05, 06:01 AM
vdawg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JB,

I appreciate the thread info. I have been struggling with the same issue with my GS. The first time I took my car into the shop, a senior tech took it for a drive and experienced the same problem discussed in this thread (no CEL, no codes). He had the car for awhile, but ended up replacing the throttle body assembly (TB and TPS). I still experienced the problem and have taken it into the shop 3 other times and they have put over 100 miles on my car and say it is working fine. I am at a stand still. They will not act. I told them about this thread and the success you have had with you dealership. I even told them to call Sewell and look at the thread, but they won't do it. I have the same year and model as you and the shop foreman was not even sure that my car had the APP sensor. Needless to say I am extremely frustrated.
Can you provide me the name of the person you worked with in Sewell? Did the shop mention or reference any internal issue / bulletin issued within Lexus?

Any help is greatly appreicated.
Old 07-26-05, 02:08 PM
knowtoe04
Driver School Candidate

vdawg,
I feel your frustration with this problem. I have been going rounds with my dealer for 2 months now and yesterday I finally got the part (the one that JB had put in) put in my '01 430. Its only been one day but I can tell you that the car feels totally different. Its a new car in my eyes.

Not only did my service manager call the guy in Dallas but he also called his Lexus rep and the rep said he "was reluctant to get involved". I would expect that response from GM but not Lexus. How many of these do they need to see in the database before they acknowledge the problem?

I think this did the trick but I will have to wait until the end of the week before I am totally convinced. So far its the best $350 I have spent on the car. Good luck.
Old 07-26-05, 03:56 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

knowtoe04
Congratulations! Those are great news. Guess all the "good lucks" worked. And by the way, I already uncrossed my fingers because the car's still running fine.

vdawg
Check your PM, keep us posted through this thread, and good luck.
Old 10-22-05, 08:33 PM
D.C.GS430
Pole Position

Default Im Really Frustrated

I am having the same exact problem as JB and KN04 with my 2001 Lexus GS430.Can one of you please give me a update on this situation? Did the APP SENSOR really fix the problem? Or does it come back every now and a again? Please tell me so I dont rush out and get these parts for nothing. Do I really need to get the MAF TBA TPS AND APP? Or can I just buy the APP sensor and be done with it ? Thanks in Advance
Old 10-22-05, 08:43 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by D.C.GS430
I am having the same exact problem as JB and KN04 with my 2001 Lexus GS430.Can one of you please give me a update on this situation? Did the APP SENSOR really fix the problem? Or does it come back every now and a again? Please tell me so I dont rush out and get these parts for nothing. Do I really need to get the MAF TBA TPS AND APP? Or can I just buy the APP sensor and be done with it ? Thanks in Advance
Still running fine. I want to emphasize that there's absolutely NO hesitation of any type. The car's a dream to drive. My layman's vote is to try the APP first. I believe that knowtoe04 got those other parts replaced before the APP, but the APP finally fixed his problems. Keep us posted. JB.
Old 10-22-05, 08:55 PM
D.C.GS430
Pole Position

Default Thank You

That was one of the the most quickest respond I have ever gotten on here. JB I will be going to get the APP Sensor first thing monday morning thanks again.
Old 10-24-05, 09:52 AM
knowtoe04
Driver School Candidate

I agree with JB. Don't waste your time with the other parts. For me it was the APP sensor that fixed the problem. The car has never run better. Good luck.
Old 11-03-05, 10:07 AM
D.C.GS430
Pole Position

Default So How MUCH 4 Everything

About how much did you all pay for the parts and the labor? Because they are trying to make me pay like $208.00 for the Accelerator pedal position sensor and $300.00 for putting it on. Is this correct ? If this is not what you paid please tell how much? my warranty has ended.
Old 11-03-05, 10:43 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Mine was replaced under CPO warranty. But $300 in labor sounds a little steep. The APP *should* be mounted near the gas pedal, so it should be fairly accessible. It shouldn't take three hours to replace. If you're willing to DIY, go into the TIS for $10 daily, and download the applicable PDFs from the shop manual. I'd go that route first.
Old 11-03-05, 11:30 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i love threads like this... where people are helping each other out to solve the problem.

CL is the best I tell you.
Old 11-03-05, 11:31 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JellyBean
Mine was replaced under CPO warranty. But $300 in labor sounds a little steep. The APP *should* be mounted near the gas pedal, so it should be fairly accessible. It shouldn't take three hours to replace. If you're willing to DIY, go into the TIS for $10 daily, and download the applicable PDFs from the shop manual. I'd go that route first.
can you save/printout as many pdfs as you want from TIS all day for only $10?!
Old 11-03-05, 02:06 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chuckb
can you save/printout as many pdfs as you want from TIS all day for only $10?!
Yes, as much as you want/can.
Old 11-07-05, 06:09 AM
vdawg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JellyBean
knowtoe04
Congratulations! Those are great news. Guess all the "good lucks" worked. And by the way, I already uncrossed my fingers because the car's still running fine.

vdawg
Check your PM, keep us posted through this thread, and good luck.
JB,

Thanks for the information. I did call your guy at Sewel and he was very helpful. Fortunately, I did not have to resort to my dealership calling him. After much proding and a test drive with the regional tech rep, I was able to get the APP sensor installed under warranty. So far so good. The car is very responsive and have not had a repeat of the problem since.

Thanks again,
Vdawg
Old 11-07-05, 07:21 AM
bazop
Rookie

has anybody got the dealer to have this app sensor installed under the 7/70 powertrain warranty? my 01 430 occasionally stalls, but i have 60k and it does not have a cpo warranty. thanks.

Quick Reply: GS430 cutting out