GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Crankshaft Pulley fixed.... here's a lil info!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-05, 09:51 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crankshaft Pulley fixed.... here's a lil info!

apparently the 2JZGE engine has some issues from time to time w/ the Crankshaft pulley otherwise known as the harmonic balancer. After some research I've found that there are quite a few SC300's and GS300's w/ this problem. As some of you might know, I was driving hard when all of a sudden mine snapped but the belt stayed on so I was spared.....

either way.... last night I JB weld'ed the metal pulley back onto the rubber inner housing attached to the crankshaft.... I didn't want to tow my car b/c its so damn low and felt confident that this would hold as long as I drove carefully.

I had to get to a friends house where we have full access to his wonderful garage w/ anything you could possibly need. Took a drive this morning at 5-10 mph.... got to his place and went straight to work.....

OK.... first we took off the serpentine belt... it's easy but if you guys need detailed info I'll write up on it.... The Crankshaft pulley is held on by a 22mm bolt which is a pain to break loose..... here's what we did.... took a leverage chain you get at Autozone to hold the pulley from slipping and rotating. Position it where as you rotate the pulley counterclockwise the handle gets braced against the other pulley.... took the 22mm w/ a huge breaker bar approx 2.5ft and turned the bolt counter clockwise..... it took a good pull to finally break it loose.... it'll be a loud snap! but dont worry it's all good.

take that bolt out.... now you can use a crankshaft pulley remover to remove the pulley.... I borrowed one from AutoZone.... you just pay for the kit and as long as you return it that same day it's free. otherwise it's approx $6 per day. I believe I used a (2) 12mm bolts approx 3" in length to hold the pulley .... the big bolt in the middle will push the pulley out by screwing into the crank shaft area. The kit should have the info all included... its really not that hard.... I had to remove the fan's to access it comfortably. When removing the fan remember to take the bolts holding the intake off so you can fully remove the fan out.

a few turns later the crankshaft pulley was out. Now remember to mark the direction the shaft is pointed.... try not to touch it and keep it pointing in the same direction. anyways.... I had scored another crankshaft pulley from an acquaintence who owns a warehouse full of engines and exclusively LEXUS parts. BS"d w/ him a bit and made him feel good about his car... he drives a Candy Green SC300 badged w/ SC007.... anyways he gave me a crank pulley for $130 on a pretty new engine. I originally wanted the part from Carson Toyota for $239 but I wanted to get this done today!

put in the new pulley in by correctly aligning it w/ the previous mark i made..... once in as far as I could get it w/ hand... i put the bolt in took a few turns on it..... then took a rubber mallet to hammer the rest of the way in.... tightened the bolt until it snapped into place, put the serpentine belt on and magnifique!!!

btw... when you have the crank pulley out.... its a good idea to change out the timing belt also if you have over 60k. Not absolutely necessary but recommended... mine was still in tip top shape!

well i hope none of you run into this problem. If you have any questions feel free to ask and PM me.
Old 05-22-05, 01:25 AM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

wow.. i was looking to replace my timing belt myself. no pics?
Old 05-22-05, 08:25 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad you discovered what the problem was with your car and you were able to fix it yourself
Old 01-20-11, 04:34 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My brother in law needs a new pulley. car is in mechanic now. Thanks for this info.