GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

AP Racing 6-piston system Vs. Brembo 4 piston

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-01, 04:38 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Since I couldn't spark interest with the Ziel Brembo/Posche kit I have to get the Stillen-AP or Brembo kit.

Does anyone have the AP Racing 6-piston brake system? On a long-term note I've been hearing mixed responses about the kit. How is it holding up in after a year or two. I know that kit was designed for track use and since drivers cannot generate enough friction/heat on the brakesvia surface road driving, I've heard the brakes squeek. Please share your experience.

Anyone on the forum have the Brembo kit for more than a year?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-20-01, 10:52 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey V300, sorry to hear about the Ziel Brembo/Porsche deal failure...I guess if you did a $300 "knock-off" brake kit (Looks like 6 pistons, but it's actually only a 2 piston and the cross drilling and slots are only painted on), I'm sure you'd have a ton of buyers here!

Well I have the Stillen/AP Racing brake system on my GS430...it works very well...stops VERY, VERY well and ABS works perfectly...

The only problem I've had is that I get a LOT of brake dust...but I'm going to try some different pads next time around...these are the "stock" pads that came with the kit (which are, I believe, carbon metallic). I also did the steel braided brake lines (both front and back) and Motul high temp brake fluid.

They don't squeak at ALL (at least mine don't). The brakes are VERY touchy and grabby...you have to relearn how to brake...there is a slight "dead" spot when you first push on the brakes (it's only a few millimeters) but then the brakes come on strong...you really need good foot control to make "smooth" brakes in city driving situations...like I said, just some relearning.

For lots of stop and go traffic, it takes more work than the stock system to make "smooth" stops but when I'm tearing it up in the canyons, MAN, these things are AWESOME. They're not kidding when they say "...prepare to have your innards rearranged."

My only REAL complaint is the brake dust...

Since you're local, if you want, you can take my car for a test drive (city driving and canyon if you want...just don't crash) to try out the system....you may not like it at first, but after you learn how to deal with all that stopping power, you won't be able to drive anything less!

I just drove my friend's GS300 (stock brakes) and I serious did NOT feel safe! It felt like the brakes had serious brake fade! No joke!

I think I'm going to do a brake upgrade on my "beater" too...I'm just too used this insta-stop thing I have now...

BTW, this has NOT changed my normal driving habits...I don't drive any closer to the car ahead of me nor do I drive any faster...hell, ever since I got my 20's, I've been drive SLOWER to prevent any damage...if you have a chronic speeding problem, some expensive 20's will cure you!

The only thing it has changed is my driving in the canyons (that I know well enough to drive practically blindfolded)...I go faster now because now I know I can stop in time to make the turns
Old 06-21-01, 12:29 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default to manaray

M,

man you have got all the good stuff........

steve told me the trd pads have even more dust than the gs stock pads. i wonder how toms or endless compare to the rest.

btw, are you still compiling a conclusion, or your thoughts on the shin-kai proposal? i truly look forward to reading them as i would like to see how your interpretation is.

will
Old 06-21-01, 09:59 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

Hey Manaray:

Where did you get your brakes? Why did you decide on the AP Brakes over Brembo? Did you do anything with the rear brakes?

Thanks.
Old 06-22-01, 02:24 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

GS4Will - Thanks! I love the good stuff!

Well since Shin-Kai didn't answer me back, I guess I'll post it...

David - I got my brakes from Stillen...I picked the APs over Brembos for a few reasons:

1) Larger...the AP kit has a 13.56" rotor...the Brembo is like 13.1" (or so)...with 20's, I need all the rotor I can get...I was going to do the SRT 14" AP Racing setup but the price difference between the two (which was significant), I felt the extra 0.44" DIA increase was not really worth it...

2) The AP setup was 6 piston setup...I wanted to get a 6 piston or more setup...remember, this car isn't going to be a daily driver (soon)

3) I prefer the AP rotors. They didn't have as much cross drilling (I've heard some horror stories with overly cross drilled rotors...) and I like the mixed cross drilled/slotted look...

4) I worked a partial sponsorship deal out Stillen since my car is going to be a showcar...

I haven't done the back ones yet...I would like to get at least matching rotors for the rear...I think I'm going to do the TRD brake pads in the rear...with the new fronts, I really notice that the rear brakes aren't up to snuff...the front brakes are doing ALL the work it seems like...

Due to whole e-brake issue, there isn't much I can do to the rear...I would LOVE to do a 12.5" to 13" rear rotor with a small 4-piston caliper...but I'd loose my e-brake functionality...I may do a custom setup later on when the car becomes mostly a show-car (real soon now)...I rarely use the e-brake (I live in the flat-lands!) and if I'm going somewhere where you need e-brakes for parking (like San Francisco), then I probably won't be driving this car there...

Old 06-24-01, 09:48 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default delayed Thanks

Hey Manaray,

Sorry for replying back so late. Hell no would I put a "$300 "knock-off" brake kit (Looks like 6 pistons, but it's actually only a 2 piston and the cross drilling and slots are only painted on)"... you're joking right? I need all the stopping power I can get and the quality/performance of a look-alike kit will not cut it.

Thanks for the feedback on the AP kit. Calvin also gave me pretty good response on the AP kit. Alex over at Stillen knows of my car too. Still not as cheap as I thought but a reimbursement would be made if I plan on publicly "exposing" my car with a column about the brakes. Calvin and I use the "GS" as daily driver (well sort of). However, when I up the boost I would need more stopping power. As for now my cost on the Brembo kit is almost $100 cheaper than the APs. I believe both will do because you will stop on a dime regardless. Also I am running 19in AVS Model 5s.

Private msg me so we can exchange info.
Old 06-25-01, 03:04 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

v300 - NO NO NO NO! I didn't mean YOU would do that kit! I ment that you should have put TOGETHER a kit that for SALE because some people on this board want to go the ricer route...I said that because of the lack of interest in your Ziel kit...$2000 is too much to some people for a performance brake kit I guess...

For the extra $100, I would go the AP route...not because I have the kit (I don't cloud my recommendations like that), but because the AP kit offers a larger rotor and an extra set of pistons...you get better braking...maybe marginal, but why not for only $100?

AVS Models 5's? DOPE! Someone else who knows what's up! Damn, I'm so sick of dealing with these fakers on the board with their "what 20's can I get for $1000/set with tires?" questions, it's nice to see some more people willing to do it right!

I sent you a PM...email me if you want to test drive the AP Racing System...

As for Stillen, after you talk to Alex, talk to Edward (his coordinator)...he's more informed and will give you real information...sometimes, Alex has a tendency to bull****...