GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

SOO Excited (Sneak Peak)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-05 | 03:12 PM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

the guy who made them is a CL member, i remember reading about how he did it . i would repaint the inside , just incase the he didnt use high heat paint, because the paint WILL bubble if its exposed to the heat of head lights..

Last edited by HKS_GS430; 06-06-05 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-06-05 | 04:08 PM
GS408
Pole Position

Default lights

hope you get your money back from this guy. Those lights are simply messed up!
Old 06-06-05 | 04:56 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Any word yet from the guy you bought them from????
Old 06-06-05 | 05:07 PM
maaloxx
Pole Position

Well, I got home and Pre-heated the oven and popped the light in. waited 15 minutes...and popped it out. Took it apart. And figured out what happened. The bezel popped off due to lack of JB weld Surface. His surface was black tape and aluminimun foil. Yes....aluminum foil! I really don't know what to do at this point. I bought some more JB weld and that ***** takes forever to cure so it's a work in progress. I'm going to try to design some sort of mount and fabricate it from an oven pan...that's the only thing I know that can take the heat! That will take some time.

Even if I can repair based on his design...I'm not sure that JB Weld will hold up to the vibrations from normal driving.

I wish I would have done this mod myself! But I figured paying over $400 bux for pre-modded headlights with damn good looking pics was worth it. man was I wrong.
Old 06-06-05 | 05:15 PM
maaloxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by maxi-milli
g man u got to be kiddin me. This is just ridiculous. We can still fix them but this would leave a bad tast in my mouth. I would get my money back and get my wheels. What was the packing like in the box. Did u contact the shipper. I know he will do something in good faith. Give me a call.
Man you have no idea...I was maad excited when the box came...then I just felt like I got beat! I personally would never sell anything like that you someone else...but that's jsut me! I need to design some sort of anchor for the projector in order to fix it and fix it right...so that it's operates like factory. And is safe too...
Old 06-06-05 | 05:19 PM
Neo
The One

Before this gets too escalated, have you talked to the seller to see if he is willing to work out something?
Old 06-06-05 | 05:43 PM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

damn sorry to hear about your headlight bro. hope you and the seller can work something out and get it repaired
Old 06-06-05 | 06:00 PM
maaloxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Neo
Before this gets too escalated, have you talked to the seller to see if he is willing to work out something?
That is why I didn't put him out there...And I must say that the other light looks pretty good. I guess it's always easier to harp on the negative...at the same time...what good i one good headlight! LOL

I have reached out to the seller but he is out of the counrty. He did let me know that he would be away so I don't think any of this was intentional.
Old 06-06-05 | 06:06 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry to see this happen. They did look like some pretty clean lights. Im sure once you talk to him you can get this resolved.
Old 06-06-05 | 06:20 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

LOL I think we all know the seller well at least I do. J/B weld will hold up to anything in fact it will be stronger then the plastic bazels or any other part of your headlight for that matter. If you plan on re j/b welding it togather then what I suggest is you get something sharp and make indents in the projector ring around the ring thats around the lense. Then take the bazel and sand the inside of it and make notches in the plastic. Once your all done stir the j/b weld and let it sit for 10 mins, then begin to apply. make sure to use it sparingly because it does leak but thats why I said 10 mins b.c then it gets harder. As far as using j/b weld on bazels im against it because if you ever want to re-do it the bazels will brake before the j/b weld does, thats why I use high heat silicone adhisive for my retro fits, silicone is very very sturdy against heat. The housing you can do a glossy black finnish, or do it mate again but once you paint it let it dry for 48 hours, if you can take pictures of the inside im sure I can give you a few pointers so if you have any questions ask.
Old 06-06-05 | 06:49 PM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

is this it https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163235
Old 06-06-05 | 07:01 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Oh tooshay hks
Old 06-06-05 | 09:03 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

- first off i believe he either did a poor job with jbweld or he use nissan weather tape (same color)... but i really think its nissan tape b/c jb weld is strong yes and i might disagree with vicestan because i believe IMO no matter wat, the weight of the shroud can not just break off like that unless is was mounted totally *****ty.

- 2nd, from what i can tell he did not paint the housing correctly...

IMO the best way to paint them is to remove the chrome paint by getting some 600-700 grit sand paper and sand it off...then clean & apply primer paint about 4-5 thin coats ....finally paint it to what ever color desired a few layers as well... i personally prefer low gloss black over flat black

obviously he did not do the correct procedure b/c i see the chrome under from all the chips

this would be my amateur opinion: now for you to repaint the housing, i would stay away from paint remover at all costs i know paint remover can eat some plastics so better safe than sorry. just do the stated above procedure for the housing... BTW make sure u do the painting in a non-air circulating enviroment... i did my painting in my garage with the garage completely closed, just take ur time and walk slowly out the garage and close the door slowly.... u dont want particles landin on the housing.... to be extra careful use a laundry basket and cover the housing when letting it dry. i would be more worried about free particles landing vertically downward on the housing then a particle floating diagnal and landing on it. and a laundry basket is pefect for that

edit: i take that back it is jbweld... its just that he mounted it the shroud crappy

Last edited by joshoowa; 06-06-05 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-06-05 | 09:42 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

So that means you dont disagree with me jooshwa
Old 06-07-05 | 01:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

wow this looks very bad man, sorry to hear that..... it does look like some bad problems.... definitely talk to seller agian

Quick Reply: SOO Excited (Sneak Peak)