GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tranny shift while cold?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-05, 03:50 AM
Dbl400Trbl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny shift while cold?

Hey Gang:

My 99' GS400 tranny seems to not like upshifting out of 1st gear until it warms up a hair. I'll start it up while cold, let it idle for a little while (No cold car start-n-go here) and notice while driving it out of my neighborhood that it holds 1st gear up into the 2500-300+ rpm range before shifting.

Is this a symptom of this car's tranny and drivetrain, or something other? The trans recently was powerflushed and refilled with Toyota Type IV fluid.

Thanks for any feedback.

KF
Old 05-24-05, 05:29 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine does the same thing expecially when the weather is cool. My car sits in the garage sometimes for a week plus so when I crank her up I let her idle for about 2min but have noticed it normally shifts after about 4-5 seconds after I drive off. I have a brand new tranny in my car so I assume that is normal when the tranny is cold.
Old 05-24-05, 09:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yes that's the case for everyone. during the first shift when cold it always rev higher before shifting.
Old 05-24-05, 09:34 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cold Shifting

Initially, when I read this, it sounded like something serious, like slippage, but I re-read it before making a reply. My shifts are good even cold, but I don't accelerate hard when the car is cold. Ask yourself if it shifts any different than it did before the flush. Did you flush it because it was time, or did you do it because of a problem, real or perceived?

Toyota has the computer programmed to allow warm-up before normal shifting occurs. For those of us with E-shift, check it while the engine is idling cold, and the vehicle is not moving. Shift into E shift mode, hold your brakes, and use your buttons to shift down. You will find that you will not be able to go below "3". When the car warms up, it allows the shift down to 2. The computer prolongs the lower gears to allow for quick warm-up of the tranny fluid.

When driving, just take it easy until the temp needle starts moving. Once it reaches 1/4 gauge, it will start to perform better. Normal temperature for me is 1/2 temp gauge or a tip over that.

Just take it easy at first, and after it warms up, give it hell.

Last edited by gserep1; 05-24-05 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-24-05, 07:42 PM
Dbl400Trbl
Rookie

Default Thanks Gang

I kinda' figured it was working as designed, but wasn't sure.. I changed the trans fluid for regular maintenance (at 45K), and not in reaction to this symptom. My car sat for awile before I purchased it so I wasn't sure if this a function of still working out the "cobwebs" or other.
Old 05-24-05, 10:09 PM
maximussp
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gserep1
Initially, when I read this, it sounded like something serious, like slippage, but I re-read it before making a reply. My shifts are good even cold, but I don't accelerate hard when the car is cold. Ask yourself if it shifts any different than it did before the flush. Did you flush it because it was time, or did you do it because of a problem, real or perceived?

Toyota has the computer programmed to allow warm-up before normal shifting occurs. For those of us with E-shift, check it while the engine is idling cold, and the vehicle is not moving. Shift into E shift mode, hold your brakes, and use your buttons to shift down. You will find that you will not be able to go below "3". When the car warms up, it allows the shift down to 2. The computer prolongs the lower gears to allow for quick warm-up of the tranny fluid.

When driving, just take it easy until the temp needle starts moving. Once it reaches 1/4 gauge, it will start to perform better. Normal temperature for me is 1/2 temp gauge or a tip over that.

HE IS EXACTLY RIGHT. THIS MAN KNOWS WHAT HES TALKIN ABOUT!
Old 05-25-05, 01:10 AM
RRocket
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by gserep1

Damn...I was about to say the same thing, until he stole my thunder! Well done! ~R