GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

POS loaner car??????

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-01 | 06:33 AM
01BlueGS430
Rookie

Brought my GS into Lexus of Austin today, to get the L-tuned suspension installed. When I went to get the loaner, they sent me over to this car rental place they've got there. I asked the service guy if they loaned out RX's like almost all Lexus dealerships and he said no! I was given a POS corolla.

Just wondering if this is commonplace with other dealerships to loan out cars like this.

My other question is who can I talk to about changing their service? I've taken my car to Park Place Lexus in Plano, and has a taste of the good life so to speak. Much better service, courtesy, so forth. I don't really have any options since it's the only dealer here in Austin. Any ideas who I can talk to?
Old 06-21-01 | 07:50 AM
chino78
Rookie

A carolla? I'd be pissed. . . I've brought my car in twice so far the first time I got a ES300, not bad but its not a GS430. The second time I got a RX300 which was a nice little change I enjoyed driving it. They even offered to lend me a car when I went for my first oil change. It took 3 hours but I had my father pick me, they washed my car, interior and exterior vacum whole nine. I was told they'd only give out a Lexus for a Lexus. The great thing about Lexus of Tampa they'll drop off a car and take yours and then bring your car back when its finished and take the loaner. From just about any where. I asked if they'd come and get my car if I was on business in Jacksonville (about a two hour drive) they said that's not uncommon for some of our customers right now.
Old 06-21-01 | 08:06 AM
c_hatter
Driver School Candidate

Arlington Lexus in Palatine, IL offers the same service - pick up your car, drop off the Lexus loaner (LS430 - yeah right, ). However, I'm not sure I would want someone driving my car the 20 or so miles to and from the dealer. Call me paranoid...
Old 06-21-01 | 08:28 AM
JacobT

Live with it. I'm getting used to it. Most of the time I got Huyndai, it's even worst than Corolla. They also required you to fill up the tank before returning. Lexus of Austin sucks!
Old 06-21-01 | 08:39 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

how bout this, WE ALWAYS get rental cars from another place!

Toyota Corrola
Buick Century
Pontiac Grand Am (the crapiest kind)

yes it does suck.
Old 06-21-01 | 11:24 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

i guess i should bring some beer and pizza next time when i visit my service guys-they actually let me choose from rx300,es 300 or is300, depend on my mood and need.
Old 06-21-01 | 11:57 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Default Id be pissed....

Lexus dealerships is austin sound like the Toyota dealerships here in Nashville. I live about 15 min. away from Lexus of Nashville (30 min. if im not drivin my SC ) and eventhough I don't get a loaner (b/c im only 16 and there is insurance involved and i also doubt Lexus would want me drivin a loaner), but my mom has always gotten an RX300 as a loaner. The last RX we got was a front wheel drive 01 model, but the worst loaner we got was a 98 RX front wheel drive. The inside was stained all over (the interior was supposed to be gray but i think sumone got a tye dye option put in ). I think Lexus's that are used as loaners are ones people have turned in but Lexus cant resell them or would get almost nothing for them so they put them to work as loaners.
Sorry i made it so long but i have nothing better to do right now
Old 06-21-01 | 01:06 PM
LarryF
Rookie

Exclamation

Just a word of caution about letting your dealer pick-up your car and deliver it for servicing. About 15 years ago before I knew any better and was still driving a Ford product (OK - I know - I've already lost my credibility), my dealer picked up my car at work and was supposed to bring it back after the service. When I went to leave work that day, my car was nowhere to be found. I called the dealer and learned that the 16-year old son of one of the service guys had demolished it on the way back to my workplace! To make matters worse, the dealer's insurance wouldn't pay for my car because the kid wasn't an official employee of the dealer. My insurance company had to pay me and then fight the dealer's company!

Of course, I'm sure that all Lexus dealers have certified, qualified drivers who would be doing this type of pick-up and delivery
Old 06-21-01 | 01:31 PM
sarkastro
Pole Position

If you're thinking of switching your service to Park Place, you might consider Sewell as an option. I've had nothing but great experiences with them handling my car. They have many decades of history, and a strong reputation to keep up.
Old 06-21-01 | 02:31 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by gs4will
i guess i should bring some beer and pizza next time when i visit my service guys-they actually let me choose from rx300,es 300 or is300, depend on my mood and need.

William, which dealer in So. Cal has the IS300? I saw 1 at Longo. I really wanna get an IS nexttime!

Anyone knows which Lexus dealer give out loaners to people over 18 and under 21? I'm only 19 and I have to go with my brother (22) everytime I need a loaner.

My brother's dealer, Penske Mercedes, always give loaners to my brother, even when he was not 21 yet (he was 19 when he got the first loaner.......... their policy is 18 and over.) Thought Longo and Penske belongs to the same Penske company. Why are the policies so different?
Old 06-21-01 | 02:52 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

RAY,

LONGO, of course. very very few available though.

both longo and penske are under the same parent penske group, but each sets its own policy and rules. they might also have diff insurance coverage and co.

i do see you point..... but under 21 is tough.....
hey when i was 18, i only got to drive a 79 accord on a daily basis

william
Old 06-21-01 | 07:10 PM
maximus75

Most dealers have a given # of Lexus loaners which are saved for custs. who one, bought their car at that dealer, and two, have a pretty regular history of service with that dealer. If you bought your car at another dealer and you service it yourself or at a local shop, guess what, yul be bumpin in a corolla on the way home. As 4 service quality, ask yur service rep if that dealer is "Elite". The is a goal which is awarded to certain dealers, by Lexus, who have met certain criteria (service quality, car sales, etc..) Elite dealers usually have better service.
Old 06-21-01 | 09:14 PM
GoldnRush

Lexus of Nashville, the madison location has always given me the RX300. Only once did they start to give me a saturn but one of the RX's came back in time. And have had no less than half a tank of gass. Thats the only major problem with Lexus, there just aren't enough dealers to choose from. From what I've heard they are either great or awful. Lucky for me the one here is good.
Old 06-21-01 | 10:22 PM
salimshah

Lexus of Austin (as well as John Roberts BMW) have Enterprise Rent a Car inside the establishment. The customer rents from ERaC and Lexus of Austin pays them at contract rates. Corollas are a step up from Mazda Proteges.

You walk off from a 300hp monster and get into something that takes a while to move.

I might have to go back after the Ltuned suspension job to fix alignment.

Salim