GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help - How to Remove Auto Leveling

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-05, 06:59 PM
nicola
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help - How to Remove Auto Leveling

I'm a borderline jackass - I snapped the bolt on the auto leveling sensor (the one connected to the front driver side suspension), so it no longer is functional. Can I just disconnect the auto leveling sensor (or the rocker arm that activates it) or will this trigger the auto leveling light on the dash?
Old 05-27-05, 07:34 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By braking the sensor that should already trigger the light on your dash. Call a dealer and ask how much a new sensor will cost, im pretty sure it shouldnt be cheap. By snapping the bolt did you actually brake the sensor or just brake the mounting bolt? Because if the sensor is still ok then the light on your dash technicaly wont come on b/c the sensor will not send a problem code back to the computer. If the sensor is ok maybe try and mount it somehow. If its beyond repair then you should ask the dealer how much a new one is. Lets say you decide to forget about the auto leveling feature and disable the auto leveling then you will have to remove the auto leveling motors, If you want you can raise the back of the car untill the sensors position the lights to the highest position and then turn the car of or remove the fuse that controls the auto leveling computer, b/c if you leave the headlights as they are now they actuators might be positioned to low and you wont get to much light on the road. Or if you want you can just remove the motors and then use weather stripping for a regular door to jap the reflector on the bottom of the headlight so it doesnt move back, either way you should aim them high so you get enough light on the road.
Old 05-27-05, 07:38 PM
nicola
Driver

Originally Posted by vicestan
By braking the sensor that should already trigger the light on your dash. Call a dealer and ask how much a new sensor will cost, im pretty sure it shouldnt be cheap. By snapping the bolt did you actually brake the sensor or just brake the mounting bolt? Because if the sensor is still ok then the light on your dash technicaly wont come on b/c the sensor will not send a problem code back to the computer. If the sensor is ok maybe try and mount it somehow. If its beyond repair then you should ask the dealer how much a new one is. Lets say you decide to forget about the auto leveling feature and disable the auto leveling then you will have to remove the auto leveling motors, If you want you can raise the back of the car untill the sensors position the lights to the highest position and then turn the car of or remove the fuse that controls the auto leveling computer, b/c if you leave the headlights as they are now they actuators might be positioned to low and you wont get to much light on the road. Or if you want you can just remove the motors and then use weather stripping for a regular door to jap the reflector on the bottom of the headlight so it doesnt move back, either way you should aim them high so you get enough light on the road.
Thanks for the tips.

I actually snapped the bolt that turns with the sensor - i.e., the arm connected to the suspension can not mount to sensor. The sensor itself is fine, it just has no way to knowing whether or not the wheel is moving up and down. If I manually turn the bolt, I presume the lights will be aimed according to its position - can I just aim them like this and then remove the fuses? Will this trigger the light on the dash?

edit - I JB welded the arm to the nub that's left of the sensor bolt. JB weld has a 15 hour curing time so the car's in my driveway til tomorrow. Hopefully it will hold.

Thanks, Nick.
Old 05-27-05, 08:04 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Hmm which jb weld did you use? the regular or the jb kwick? if its the regular one that it will hold like crazy. If you leave the bolt as you say in the downright position this would I presume make the leveling actuators point the reflector more upwards, and if you remove the fuses then I dont think you should get a warning light on the dash since no return error signal is being sent. Although it might im not sure. Try and see if it works well with jb weld, it should be just as new again assuming you correctly applied j/b weld on the parts.
Old 05-28-05, 06:06 PM
nicola
Driver

I case anyone searches for this later - the JB weld held nicely and everything is working fine.
Old 05-28-05, 06:34 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Yeah j/b the best.
Old 05-29-05, 12:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

as long as you keep it as is then i think you are fine, the sensor is still there, so unless you lower the car or so and cause the autoleveling to be out of spec, you are fine
Old 05-29-05, 12:46 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Nah if you lower the car that wont cause the auto leveling to be out of place, unless you do an uneven drop in the front and the back. As long as you say drop the car 1 inch in the front and back the sensors will still be at the same alignment just lower height.
Old 05-30-05, 08:19 AM
jucee187
Lead Lap

So where is the auto leveling fuse located? I find that my headlights are pointed too low. I tried manually adjusting it but i think the autoleveler just readjusted it. MY car is lowered. So what would be the best solution for me?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-30-05, 11:08 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

When you said your car is lowered, did you lower it by the same ammount on both sides?. Im not sure where the fuse is b/c I dont have the auto leveling equipment on my car but im sure you can find it in your manual.
Old 05-30-05, 12:35 PM
jucee187
Lead Lap

When you said your car is lowered, did you lower it by the same ammount on both sides?. Im not sure where the fuse is b/c I dont have the auto leveling equipment on my car but im sure you can find it in your manual.

HI, yes my car is lowered the same amount on both sides (left and right). Im using tanabe DF10 springs. The front drop is rated higher than the rear though so.. im not sure if that affects anything. So if i remove the fuse the auto leveling motor will no longer work ? and it will remain in the position that i manually set it at?
Old 05-30-05, 12:41 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

If your front is higher then that means the headlights are pointing downwards a little, first you need to get on a level surface or even better on a little downhill and then pull the fuse out and that will stop the electric current to the leveling computer and the self leveling motors wont move.
Old 05-30-05, 02:28 PM
jucee187
Lead Lap

Great I will try this. My driveway is at an angle so this should be easy enough.

thanks again.
Old 05-31-05, 01:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Nah if you lower the car that wont cause the auto leveling to be out of place, unless you do an uneven drop in the front and the back. As long as you say drop the car 1 inch in the front and back the sensors will still be at the same alignment just lower height.
yeah on the gs this is not as common for some reason, but on the is300 i have seen a lot of cases people got the warning lights after loweing the car, and had to adjust the rear sensor.
Old 06-02-05, 02:32 PM
jucee187
Lead Lap

Default arg

arg.. I cant find the fuse? i looked in the owners manual and it doesnt specifically say which one it is.. Unless i missed it. Do you know which fuse # it is?

So.. you can tell how the light is currently aimed by looking at the leveller bubble correct?
from the middle part of the leveler tube, the bubble should be closer towards the body or away?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Help - How to Remove Auto Leveling