GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car WON'T start, stalling while starting! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-05, 05:42 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Car WON'T start, stalling while starting! HELP!!!

hey

i have a 98 and a few times when i tried to start the car it wont start, i turn the key and then it tries to turn over but nothing happens. usually i turn the key all the way off then try again while pumping the gas and usually by the third time of turning off and on....... it starts.....

Can someone please tell me why? This is the second time this happened in a week.
i have had the car for 15 months no accidents, no engine work ect... I have approx 85k on the dash. Help please.

Thanks
Old 05-29-05, 09:40 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Alexus-Kia
hey

i have a 98 and a few times when i tried to start the car it wont start, i turn the key and then it tries to turn over but nothing happens. usually i turn the key all the way off then try again while pumping the gas and usually by the third time of turning off and on....... it starts.....

Can someone please tell me why? This is the second time this happened in a week.
i have had the car for 15 months no accidents, no engine work ect... I have approx 85k on the dash. Help please.

Thanks
Kia, its probably the battery going bad. If its still the original, then 7 years is definitely about the time for end of life problems.
Old 05-29-05, 10:12 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well do you hear the starter crank the engine or do you hear just a click when you turn the key?
Old 05-30-05, 12:29 AM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

It cranks it, or should i say tries to crank and it makes that straining trying to start noise!!

i thought it might be the battery because it is the original but i dunno.........
Old 05-30-05, 12:55 AM
liquidsilver
Driver

It cranks it, or should i say tries to crank and it makes that straining trying to start noise!!

i thought it might be the battery because it is the original but i dunno.........
Kia...I think it's probably the battery. My dad and I both own 98GS and we both recently replaced battery replaced as well and with same symptoms .My dads GS did the same thing.......it cranks over ( but you can tell it's weak) and once it cranks over it just stalls as if the MAF sensor is missing or something. Yeah it's the battery for sure. If the battery is on its way out, the stereo kept on shutting off itself as well.

Just go and get it replaced.
Old 05-30-05, 01:04 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it is the original, it is time to replace it. It looks like that time for the 98s. Both rominl and I replaced ours a few months ago.
Old 05-30-05, 11:22 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
If it is the original, it is time to replace it. It looks like that time for the 98s. Both rominl and I replaced ours a few months ago.

if your 98 batteries lasted until a few months ago, that's a long,long time. they would never make it that long in FL. my 01 battery lasted 4yrs, and I thought that was good.
Old 05-30-05, 11:42 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Yea, like chuckb said, batteries lasting 3-4 years in Florida are the norm! I can't imagine getting 7 years out of a battery.
Old 05-30-05, 12:01 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
if your 98 batteries lasted until a few months ago, that's a long,long time. they would never make it that long in FL. my 01 battery lasted 4yrs, and I thought that was good.
I was pretty surprised too but since it was not broke, ...
Old 05-30-05, 04:52 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

so ok BESIDES the battery what else can it be because me and someone(he will remain nameless ) keeps debating over this situation I SAID IT WAS THE BATTERY ALSO but he said it could be the starter, or something about the gas not getting to the motor in a timely mannor and the reason he feels like its NOT the battery is because he said its cranking and not just clicking......SO to sum it up WHATELSE could it be??

Thanks
Old 05-30-05, 05:18 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so ok BESIDES the battery what else can it be because me and someone(he will remain nameless ) keeps debating over this situation I SAID IT WAS THE BATTERY ALSO but he said it could be the starter, or something about the gas not getting to the motor in a timely mannor and the reason he feels like its NOT the battery is because he said its cranking and not just clicking......SO to sum it up WHATELSE could it be??

Thanks

If it's cranking over normal speed and not just clicking than it's probably not the battery. could be MAF or something else fuel related...

however, I will say that when my battery was dead, when I jump started it it took way longer to start than normal because of the low voltage to ecu.

how old is the battery, and did you make sure terminals are clean and nice and tight?
Old 05-30-05, 06:37 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could actually quite a few things. Maybe the fuel pump not working, or the ignition system not igniting the spark plugs.