GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sibling (or Spousal) Rivalry ? – The Tale of a 2 Lexi Family

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-05, 12:53 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Next comes my overly cautious tape job. Many will get away without doing this, but just remember it only takes one slip to nick the paint. This is pretty cheap insurance and will save you a lot of heartache.

I start off with applying blue masking tape since it comes off paint easy.

Old 06-07-05, 12:57 AM
RMMGS4

Next comes a couple of layers of duct tape. If you put duct tape directly on the body, it will leave sticky residue. It also might pull the paint off if you tape up to the edge where you are sanding.

Old 06-07-05, 01:09 AM
RMMGS4

Next use a belt sander or a rotary grinder to shave the metal off. I used 50 grit sandpaper which is very agressive. I must of finished one wheel well in about 15 minutes. If you are not comfortable and don't wanna cut too fast then I suggest using 80 grit.

Poor Rominl did his fenders late at night at my house and we broke the the last 80 grit belt I had. He ended up using 100 grit which took forever.

Sand in the direction and angle shown below. If you sand lengthwise (turn sander 90 degrees from the position shown) you can actually cut the sandpaper in two which can cause it to immediately shred into pieces and can easily scratch your fender before you can react.

You need to wear googles and a dust mask or better a full face shield when doing this. The reason should be obvious.

Old 06-07-05, 01:16 AM
RMMGS4

Here's the completed shaving job. Rolling the lip will not give you this same amount of clearance, plus if not done right, there will be ripples in the outer body from bending the metal. This is why shaving is the preferred method.

Old 06-07-05, 01:22 AM
RMMGS4

Well these are all the shots I've got for now. I pretty much stopped here just to get the tires mounted and shoot the pics for this thread.

THIS IS NOT DONE YET.

I need to finish up these wheel wells in a way that hasn't been shown (and possibly done) before. I need a few more days to work on this and then I'll post the finished shots.

Stay Tuned.
Old 06-07-05, 01:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

very nice glen, good pics! i looked at the rear fender shaving on glen's car, awesome. so smooth and so clean, i was so amazed!!!!

and yeah, to do the shaving job, get 60 or 80 grid sand paper..... i was using 120 grid actually and it was just stupid @_@
Old 06-07-05, 04:26 AM
LsportGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write-up

Cars look amazing!
Old 06-08-05, 12:24 AM
1NewLexIS300
Lexus Test Driver

damn glenn, you never told me you had those.......sooo sick - i originally wanted those for my IS, but the price was ridiculous..........baller

the stoptechs look great on your wife's car
Old 06-08-05, 12:28 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by 1NewLexIS300
damn glenn, you never told me you had those.......sooo sick - i originally wanted those for my IS, but the price was ridiculous..........baller

the stoptechs look great on your wife's car

Gee Mike, only 2 weeks more and I woulda surprised you at the meet. Oh well, I wanted to see your eye's pop out in person.

I'll tell ya a story of how I was very lucky to come across this deal. Sometimes dreams do come true.

See you soon.
Old 06-08-05, 12:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Gee Mike, only 2 weeks more and I woulda surprised you at the meet. Oh well, I wanted to see your eye's pop out in person.

I'll tell ya a story of how I was very lucky to come across this deal. Sometimes dreams do come true.

See you soon.
very true. i got that story from glen, what a damn lucky guy. so many stuff falls in line in perfect timing,. otherwise i think glen would have deviated to the iforged route
Old 06-08-05, 12:54 AM
1NewLexIS300
Lexus Test Driver

See you soon.
if you had surprised me in person, i would have been drooling too........those are my favorite wheels

the competition series that are newly out are nice as well.........i thought you were looking at those after sema
Old 06-08-05, 01:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

if you had surprised me in person, i would have been drooling too........those are my favorite wheels

the competition series that are newly out are nice as well.........i thought you were looking at those after sema
they are nice except that they are stepped lip
Old 06-08-05, 01:01 AM
RMMGS4

Glad u like em.

Yea, I went all the way to SEMA just to look at the latest rims. I hardly looked at anything else. So yes, I looked at all the possibilties. The competitions would have been good, but they don't make it for Lexus.

I don't know how many times I showed people rims and asked what they thought. What I found is that 10 different people will likely have 10 different tastes in wheels. I guess that's what makes us individuals and rims are definitely a personal preference. Not everyone is gonna like what you like, so in the end, I followed what I really wanted the most and with A LOT of luck I got it.

Glad to see there are others who share the same taste.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-08-05 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-08-05, 01:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Glad u like em.

Yea, I went all the way to SEMA just to look at the latest rims. I hardly looked at anything else. So yes, I looked at all the possibilties. The competitions would have been good, but they don't make it for Lexus.

I don't know how many times I showed people rims and asked what they thought. What I found is that 10 different people will likely have 10 different tastes in wheels. I guess that's what makes us individuals and rims are definitly a personal preference.

In the end, I followed what I really wanted the most and with A LOT of luck I got it. Glad to see there are others who share the same taste.
actually from what i heard you can get competition series from hre. but i am not sure if that's still the case
Old 06-08-05, 01:09 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by rominl
actually from what i heard you can get competition series from hre. but i am not sure if that's still the case

It's OK, I'm not changing my mind. These will be the last set of rims I get for this car !

BTW, this is the fifth different set of rims this car has ever had. I do believe I have pics of each one as well.

Quick Reply: Sibling (or Spousal) Rivalry ? – The Tale of a 2 Lexi Family