GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sibling (or Spousal) Rivalry ? – The Tale of a 2 Lexi Family

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-05, 04:32 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

Hey Glen, I just wanted to say that I think you did an awesome job on the shaving.
Definitely not something I have the stomach for to do myself.

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
I drive my car almost every day in the summer, but my commute to work is very short. Once winter hit's I try not to take her out.
Whenever I read comments like this, I have to control myself and not laugh.

I am specifically referring to the "winter" comment. So you are saying that when "winter" hits California, you don't take your GS out??? What exactly is your rationale behind that?

What does the temperature drop to that warrants you not being able to drive a car with performance tires? Does the ambient temp drop below 50 Fahrenheit (during the day)? Generally performance tires become too hard for safe driving below 50 Fahrenheit, so unless temps go below that during "winter" why would you not drive your car? Of course there is no snow to worry about, so that is a moot point.

I was once in California (8 years ago) in February and the temps during the day were about 60 Fahranheit, so I don't understand why you cannot drive your car during the so called Southern California "winter".

Last edited by Hameed; 06-08-05 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-08-05, 06:29 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Hey Glen, I just wanted to say that I think you did an awesome job on the shaving.

I am specifically referring to the "winter" comment. So you are saying that when "winter" hits California, you don't take your GS out??? What exactly is your rationale behind that?

What does the temperature drop to that warrants you not being able to drive a car with performance tires? Does the ambient temp drop below 50 Fahrenheit (during the day)? Generally performance tires become too hard for safe driving below 50 Fahrenheit, so unless temps go below that during "winter" why would you not drive your car? Of course there is no snow to worry about, so that is a moot point.

I was one in California (8 years ago) in February and the temps during the day were about 60 Fahranheit, so I don't understand why you cannot drive your car during the so called Southern California "winter".
Thats so funny...."winter" in cally i'm sure is like winter in Florida, our coldest days here in the winter get to about 45 sometimes late at night but during the day its always 60-75. But Hammed you should come down here one winter and see how people wear big thick coats and scarfs and gloves during the winetr months. its too funny..
Old 06-08-05, 08:38 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I was once in California (8 years ago) in February and the temps during the day were about 60 Fahranheit, so I don't understand why you cannot drive your car during the so called Southern California "winter".
Hey Hameed, you nailed up whimpy Californians with that one! But seriously, I am the same way with my MR2 now- I don't even take it out on wet roads.

Understand, when you build a car to a certain level, even taking it out on a wet street will make a mess of the chassis. I am spending a ton of time & dough to paint the MR2 from top-to-bottom, powdercoat and re-bush the entire suspension, the inner wheel barrels are polished- even the gas tank is painted, and it's underneath and between the front seats!

For me, I'd rather spend my time enjoying this car on nice days rather than detailing the underside. Yeah, it's a 'fun' car I am building to a 'show' car standard. Why? Because I always wanted to do that to a car, I love the car (bought from my Dad, who bought it new), and I can afford to do it.

And, don't forget, because it doesn't rain here much (except for this year) Californians are idiots when it comes to driving in the rain. When the weather is dry, we all drive 80 mph 15 feet apart from each other. When it rains... we all drive 80 mph 15 feet apart from each other... and we crash into things. I have seen some crazy stuff on the freeway during rain storms. I saw one woman in a Corolla do a 360 under an overpass when she hit a puddle at 75 (she actually saved it, but there was more luck involved than skill).

My GS is quickly moving into the "don't drive it when it's wet out" category- which makes me wonder what the heck I will drive when it does rain. Perhaps my future is a bus pass for rainy days?
Old 06-08-05, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

It's OK, I'm not changing my mind. These will be the last set of rims I get for this car !

BTW, this is the fifth different set of rims this car has ever had. I do believe I have pics of each one as well.
hahaha never say never man, you never know if you will see something else that you wanna jump on
Old 06-08-05, 08:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

i guess if anything glen would be referring to the rain here. it's pretty annoying when raining i suppose, especially with the vibration. plus, the problem with rain is after it drys up, the brake dust in the front will eat into the polished lips and you have to work hard to take them out
Old 06-08-05, 08:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Hey Hameed, you nailed up whimpy Californians with that one! But seriously, I am the same way with my MR2 now- I don't even take it out on wet roads.

Understand, when you build a car to a certain level, even taking it out on a wet street will make a mess of the chassis. I am spending a ton of time & dough to paint the MR2 from top-to-bottom, powdercoat and re-bush the entire suspension, the inner wheel barrels are polished- even the gas tank is painted, and it's underneath and between the front seats!

For me, I'd rather spend my time enjoying this car on nice days rather than detailing the underside. Yeah, it's a 'fun' car I am building to a 'show' car standard. Why? Because I always wanted to do that to a car, I love the car (bought from my Dad, who bought it new), and I can afford to do it.

And, don't forget, because it doesn't rain here much (except for this year) Californians are idiots when it comes to driving in the rain. When the weather is dry, we all drive 80 mph 15 feet apart from each other. When it rains... we all drive 80 mph 15 feet apart from each other... and we crash into things. I have seen some crazy stuff on the freeway during rain storms. I saw one woman in a Corolla do a 360 under an overpass when she hit a puddle at 75 (she actually saved it, but there was more luck involved than skill).

My GS is quickly moving into the "don't drive it when it's wet out" category- which makes me wonder what the heck I will drive when it does rain. Perhaps my future is a bus pass for rainy days?
amen bob! i have no clue why but people here they really really don't know how to drive in rain.... whenever it rains, you see tons of cars on the road side -- crashed...... and you always have to look out for idiots around you, how amazing what some rain can do
Old 06-08-05, 11:57 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hameed, yes winter in Cali is definitely an understatement.

Bob, you're exactly right. I think when the first rain comes to Cali, certain people put on their STUPID hats and for the first month you see a lot of cars driving around with smashed front and rear ends. The funniest thing I see are older gen IROC Camaros and Mustangs that have spun exiting a turn and are on the curb facing the wrong way. Don't EVER take VSC for granted.

Your other point about "don't take it out in the rain car" is dead on. Even in the summer time I wash the car regularly or wipe it down every day or two. Having a car that is wannabe show condition and is daily driven is a difficult balance.

So when the rain comes out, I just can't stand the thought of all that grunge I have to clean. Granted I DO still drive the car in the rain, but it comes at a price.

The #1 reason I don't drive in the rainy season is because of pot holes. With the 25 series rear tires, I don't find the need to take a risk of driving it and messing up some very expensive rims and tires.

I 'm probably not going to be able to post the FINISHED wheel well mod for a little while. Other BIG new mods on the wifeys car, have taken priority. I'll try to post within the next week or two.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-08-05 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-08-05, 12:26 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

Hameed, yes winter in Cali is definitely an understatement.

Bob, you're exactly right. I think when the first rain comes to Cali, certain people put on their STUPID hats and for the first month you see a lot of cars driving around with smashed front and rear ends. The funniest thing I see are older gen IROC Camaros and Mustangs that have spun exiting a turn and are on the curb facing the wrong way. Don't EVER take VSC for granted.

Your other point about "don't take it out in the rain car" is dead on. Even in the summer time I wash the car regularly or wipe it down every day or two. Having a car that is wannabe show condition and is daily driven is a difficult balance.

So when the rain comes out, I just can't stand the thought of all that grunge I have to clean. Granted I DO still drive the car in the rain, but it comes at a price.

The #1 reason I don't drive in the rainy season is because of pot holes. With the 25 series rear tires, I don't find the need to take a risk of driving it and messing up some very expensive rims and tires.

I 'm probably not going to be able to post the FINISHED wheel well mod for a little while. Other BIG new mods on the wifeys car, have taken priority. I'll try to post within the next week or two.
Ok understood. The "winter" qualification has been changed to "rain".

Makes perfect sense about not wanting to drive the car in rain, but not in California winter, unless it rains all the time during those months. So then they become synonymous!
Old 06-09-05, 07:58 AM
BigJoeD
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Baby IS has been complaining lately of how Big Bro has been leaving her at the stop light all too often.

I hear mom is looking to fix that problem.

Hmmm . . . You know what this is leading to don’t you ??

Stay Tuned
OK, so are you going SC or TC? I'm tired of hearing about shoes, I wanna hear about Baby IS growing up and causing major heartache for Big Brother GS
Old 06-09-05, 09:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BigJoeD
OK, so are you going SC or TC? I'm tired of hearing about shoes, I wanna hear about Baby IS growing up and causing major heartache for Big Brother GS
wait, which car are you talking about?
Old 06-14-05, 12:17 AM
RMMGS4

Hey Big Joe !

Baby IS is just holdin off for the meet coming up this weekend. Then right after she'll take a month off the road for an SC plus some blingin engine compartment cosmetics.

Pics to come in the IS Story in a couple more weeks.

Stay Tuned.

Big Bro GS is gonna be jealous for sure.
Old 06-19-05, 10:17 AM
_DAG_
Driver

Nice! Love the pics.
Old 06-19-05, 10:56 AM
BigJoeD
Pole Position

Hey Big Joe !

Baby IS is just holdin off for the meet coming up this weekend. Then right after she'll take a month off the road for an SC plus some blingin engine compartment cosmetics.

Pics to come in the IS Story in a couple more weeks.

Stay Tuned.

Big Bro GS is gonna be jealous for sure.
I cant wait to see the finished product. I'm sure Baby IS is gonna love her "cosmetic" surgery

Last edited by BigJoeD; 06-19-05 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-19-05, 11:09 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

this thread got 5 stars rating!

i saw your IS at santana row the other day and it was stunning!
Old 06-20-05, 12:30 PM
RMMGS4

I cant wait to see the finished product. I'm sure Baby IS is gonna love her "cosmetic" surgery

HAHA BigJoe

Yeah you got that right. Pre Op pics to be posted in a couple of weeks.

Quick Reply: Sibling (or Spousal) Rivalry ? – The Tale of a 2 Lexi Family