GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

60k service at 114k?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-05, 08:55 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60k service at 114k?

O.k. here's the lowdown.... I got 114k on 98 gs400,I call the dealer in tampa to tell him i want my service up to date also that i want to do my timing belt. He says to do the 60k service because nothing but oil changes and brakes and tires were done (I just bought the car with 109k). Anyway, Im like o.k. how much?????he says uhhh... about $1800 plus tax. I replied "holly@#$^shi!! ,wtf,co<Lcsucker" or something to that effect. But for real c'mon. Well he says "Bring it in tuesday (the 7th) and i will save u a few hundred,Can't tell u exactly how much till u get here,but i'll also have a loaner for u". So can anyone tell me how much this SHOULD cost? He faxed me a list of service to be done at 60k so i know what will get done, it says $1299 at the bottom. Now if i add timing belt thats another $500. His price seems right,but i think they could do a LOT better.
Old 06-02-05, 09:04 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Lexus of Tampa bay are crazy when it comes to pricing. They will give you a price on the phone, and a different one when you get the bill. This happened to me TWICE so far. I honestly suggest you take your car to get fixed elsewhere.

Most of the stuff you can do yourself, except for timing belt, unless you really want to get involved. Im sure you can get the timing belt, and water pump replaced for less then $500 outside, and you can do the rest on your own (if you want to save some money).

The stuff easily done include, spark plugs, tranny fluid, differential fluid, coolant, brake fluid, and power steering fluid.

Btw which service writer did you speak with?
Old 06-02-05, 09:17 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

I spoke with Sam Rachidi. I just don"t have the time to do it myself, I would, but I'm too damn lazy. Also, I want them to be responsible,if anything goes wrong.I don't trust just any mechanic,I want the one's who know the motor very well. Thanx for the input though
Old 06-03-05, 05:09 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were in your place I would definitely shop that around with other dealers.
Old 06-03-05, 05:43 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by blaise
I spoke with Sam Rachidi. I just don"t have the time to do it myself, I would, but I'm too damn lazy. Also, I want them to be responsible,if anything goes wrong.I don't trust just any mechanic,I want the one's who know the motor very well. Thanx for the input though

Admit it, you just like the Loaners

I've delt with all of them Except Sam. I personally would not throw 2grand on a car thats 8 years old (mine is too). All can be easily done except for the timming belt. Good luck.
Old 06-03-05, 05:52 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

60 K wasnt near that much. I would go to another dealer. And why would they do the 60K maintenance, it sounds like you really need the 90K one which includes the timing belt. It was a while ago but I dont think that even cost me over 1K
Old 06-03-05, 07:40 AM
Fisher503
Lead Lap

I just did my 90k:
Timing belt, idler,idler,serpentine,upper and lower hose, thermostat, pvc, water pump,and all Gaskets. $400 parts, $350 Labor = $750 +
list what they are doing to your car for that much.
Old 06-03-05, 03:12 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

i found this link on luxurymotorworks is this a list of maintaince things that have to be fixed and if not what is the best way to know so u can get them fixed/replaced at different times?

http://www.luxurymotorworks.com/maintenance.php
Old 06-03-05, 03:17 PM
HoracioGS4
Pole Position

you should try going to a toyota dealership...many of clublexus patrons have taken their car to a toyota dealership to fix their lexus, plus it is less expensive as well.
Old 06-03-05, 03:29 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

o.k. here's what the invoice says:

change oil
install fuel additive
install engine additive
inspect brake linings and discs,gear box steering and suspension
rotate and balance tires
replace air filter
replace fuel cap gasket
replace accessory drive belts
replace rear differential oil add slip additive as required
replace wiper blades
flush cooling system with bg power flush, install new coolant and bg coolant treatment
brake system flush
replace power steering fluid
transmission service drain fluid and install bg transmission supplement
4 wheel computer alignment
replace remote key battery
replace spark plug wires
replace spark plugs
replace air conditioning filter
replace timing belt tensioners and belt

He says " We can work out the price a little" so i'll just see how much he says. If it is more than $1200, I'll tell him to forget it ........But then what ???? I still need this done!!!!! It's a lose lose situation.
Old 06-03-05, 03:33 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Thats alot of stuff that you need done, ofcourse you can find a cheaper but then again that would prettty much get your car back to new again.
Old 06-03-05, 03:45 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

I know it's a lot but the car runs and drives great. The only other thing i need is brakes. I plan on keeping this car for a loooonnnggg time, so it might be worth the extra protection. I searched for it for like 3 months. Silver with black 17" wheels,nakam.. stereo,hid's,very clean and a 2 stage tint job. It is all original and the dealer even commented on how he couldn't believe that it had 114,000 miles.I want to get the motor up to par for the rmm supercharger i plan to install (as soon as it's available).Thanx alexis for the web site.
Old 06-03-05, 03:47 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

I'm going to call lexus of orlando tommorow to see what they say. Again, thanx all.
Old 06-03-05, 03:57 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Well regardless of how your car looks or feels, these things need to be changed, otherwise your looking at alot of problems, for ex if the timming belt brakes, then your going to have to dish out close to 1200 just to fix that, the radiator has to be flushed at that age, the differential oil is recommended to be changed at around 70k, balancing and alignment thats esential for a good ride, All of those things you need, oh and I didnt see the pcv valve on that list make sure they change that also.
Old 06-03-05, 07:26 PM
vasgs4
Pole Position

I found an awesome mechanic, he works on all different cars, he has many years of experience, he does absolutely everything, I have never taken my car to him yet, I wanted to see how my friend's cars have turned out, and he does really good work. Anyway, I asked him to do my timing belt, he is only charging me $150 for labor! That includes the water pump. I am going to have him do my 90K service, I would try to find someone like that, even a lexus tech. I am sure they do side jobs and they will only charge you half of what the dealer does.

Quick Reply: 60k service at 114k?