GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Got my 20's, it is sweet !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-01, 10:55 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sweet!!

GS - TO,

Buddy what a sweet looking ride (Elegant yet sporty.. Just as a GS should be dressed).. Didn't think a non-chrome wheel would look good but you have proven me wrong.. Joe's grill treatment looks sweet as well.. Even thou they are knock off rims.. Sorry Manaray but it looks great and only the educated will know they are knock offs.. I got my rims from Wheels Direct too.. Great guys up there in Markham.. If you don't mind me asking how much did the rims and tires cost you??

BTW I would be scared driving 20" wheels in downtown Toronto.. Too many potholes and construction for my liking.. If I planned on keeping my GS I like Globe's idea of doing the 18" front with 19" rear..

Anyways TIGHT ride.. Any other plans for the BABY GS??
Exhaust perhaps??

Ken
Old 06-25-01, 07:53 AM
cipher7

How did you do the grill treatment? I guess I didn't catch the DIY post . The car looks great!!
Old 06-25-01, 08:01 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GS T.O. you rims look AMAZING! they really do we should go crusing one time (after i get my licence) and Savvy with his new SC...
Old 06-25-01, 08:33 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by CJGS4
You might need some hubcentric rings for your wheels so that they fit more properly... Especially if the balancing/alignment doesn't help.. What these do is they allow the wheel to fit more perfectly on the 5 bolts...

-Chris Y.
Thank you....i just called up Tirerack and they are sending me the hub rings....i was getting horrible shaking at speeds of 60-85...i mean embarassing hand trembling shakes.
Old 06-25-01, 01:50 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by LexusRules
GS T.O. you rims look AMAZING! they really do we should go crusing one time (after i get my licence) and Savvy with his new SC...
Name the time and place guys and we'll do it.. Wish I had some tires to slap on the rims or I would do that and stick them on the GS for the mean time.. I'm pretty sure the offset and such is exactly the same for the SC and the GS.. I was looking and Zennetti makes knock offs of the LD1 as well..
Old 06-25-01, 01:51 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by xsuperjoex

Thank you....i just called up Tirerack and they are sending me the hub rings....i was getting horrible shaking at speeds of 60-85...i mean embarassing hand trembling shakes.
Shouldnt any good rims come with the Hub Rings? All the rims Ive ever purchased arrived with the rings....I thought that was crucial for correct fitment? Tiny
Old 06-25-01, 03:49 PM
GS - T.O.
Driver

Cool, count me in for cruising, we should definitly do a meet in Toronto some time

2SAVVY, Wheel Direct gave me a very good price and they make me promise not to tell anyone the exact price I paid. However, without any discount, you are looking at $5800 out the door (rim, tire, balancing, everything). If anyone in TO wants wheels from them, talk to Colin or Allen.

Yes, the shaking ....... well, I went back to the shop (Wheel Direct) today and spend the whole day there trying to resolve this problem. The hub ring was already there, they did put it on the first time. However, they think the ring have some defect, so they replace it with new rings for the back. The rattling of the seats disappear after that. The next 4 hours was working on twiking the front. They tried without ring, new ring, roll the tire a bit, rebalance ... finally come out with a reasonable handle around 100km/h. It still have a minor shaking on the steering wheel, but consider I have 20's, it ain't too bad.

Thumb up for Wheel Direct, they did a lot of work and no extra charge!
Old 06-25-01, 04:00 PM
GS - T.O.
Driver

Originally posted by cipher7
How did you do the grill treatment? I guess I didn't catch the DIY post . The car looks great!!
cipher7, here is the post, Xsuperjoex was the inventor.

https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15992
Old 06-25-01, 04:04 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by manaray
Hmmm...in case anyone is wondering what it looks like, take a look that the real thing below...Weds Kranze Cerebrus...

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but the Zenetti Mystik are not only Design Knock-Offs of the Weds rim, but they're also fake "3-piece" rims (they're really 1-piece rims designed to look like "3-piece rims...keeps the price in the "dirt cheap" catagory)...plus they're heavy as hell (chrome bling-blings are even worse)...sorry, I do not feel that these rims deserve to grace a Lexus...only bad thing about the real thing is that they DO NOT come in 20"...but I'd rather have real 19's...

But anyways, have you noticed a slow down in acceleration and longer braking distances?

Manray? Will you please elaborate on the pros and cons of Knock offs versus the real deal? Im sure this has been beat to death, but, I saw the above rim(Zinnetti) for $540 a piece in 20". Seems to good to be true. What are the specific dis-advantages? Please reply, Thanks, Tiny
Old 06-25-01, 04:37 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tinygs - Well first of, the main thing is the whole "tackiness" aspect of knowingly buying fakes. I mean you wouldn't buy a fake Rolex, you wouldn't buy a fake Lexus (Daewoo Laganza), a fake Armani suit? I don't know, I think buy fake "luxury" items is VERY CHEEZY. It says a lot about the buyer...they want to FAKE the look of luxury and having money but in reality, they don't have money and they can bearly afford their car payments...(i.e. they're living beyond their means)

The other thing is the build. The Zenetti's aren't built like the real Weds. The real Weds are 3-piece rims which makes them more expensive because there's more to it. The advantage of a 3-piece wheel is that if you hit a nasty pothole and bend a lip, you can just have that one lip replaced instead of having buy a whole new rim. Another advantage is that you can change widths at any time by swapping out the lips for a deeper or shallower one..(inside and out).

Also, the Zenetti's casting process is not as good as Weds and Zenetti's uses a cheaper alloy for the rim (hence the low price).

The ONLY plus that the Zenetti's has over the original Weds is that you can get it in 20"...the Weds wheel (Kranze Cerebrus) only comes up to 19"...but I would STILL buy a real 19" wheel over a fake 20" any day.

Buying FAKE wheels is VERY, VERY popular among the low-end ricers...that should tell you something right there...

The way I see it, you own a Lexus, you bought a nice luxury car, why are you going to put some CHEAP *** rims on it?
Old 06-25-01, 05:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

manaray - well at least ya seem to like WEDS wheels even though mine are fake looking 3 piecers I guess.
Old 06-26-01, 12:53 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

The Weds Farmas DP-V11's fall under Weds' "Stylish Wheel" category...generally, when I talk about Weds, I am referring the Weds Kranze line (which is their "luxury" rims)...

Although the quality of the Farmas are excellent, I would not put them on my car because the 3-piece look on a 1-piece wheel thing (plus I'm not a big fan of the design)...but at least they're not knock-offs!

The whole 3-piece look on a 1 piece rims thing doesn't bother me NEARLY as much as cheap knock-off brands (like Zenetti, Giovanna/G-Sport, etc., etc..)...even if HRE did a 3-piece look on a 1-piece wheel thing, I would NOT buy those particular rims (I know HRE won't do that though!)...but I would still buy their other rims...

It's just REALLY bad when someone make a knock-off of a real 3-piece rim and then makes it 1-piece in the process...that's two strikes!
Old 06-26-01, 02:53 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

GS-T.o???? Did you stagger your rims, or are the widths the same all the way around????
Manaray? What are the possibilities of staggering a 20" rim? Can it be done and what rim width/tire width combo will work with NO rubbing at all? Thanks, Tiny
Old 06-26-01, 03:38 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Actually, I have a stagged 20" setup...

20x8.5 in the front and 20x9.5 in the rear. Some people have done 20x10 in the rear but a 275 fits a 9.5" rim better. On a 10" rim, it's a little stretched. You can go 285 (which fits a 10" rim well) but you might need to do some fender rolling...

Oh, I'm running 245/35-20 in front and 275/30-20 in back. Nitto 555 Extremes.

I'm running a +37 in front and +38 in rear. I have plenty of clearance for my brakes (AP Racing 6-piston) and I get no fender edge rubbing...I do get a little bit of rubbing on the fender liner but that's due to the large overall size of 20" wheels/tires...it's very minor.

As for the Zenetti's, they're not staggered as the only width that Zenetti makes in 20" is 8.5".

Hope that helps Tiny...if you have any specific questions, please ask...
Old 06-26-01, 04:56 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gsintensive
the reason the car shakes because of 2 reasons,
1) allignment 2) balancing. Go to your Lexus dealer and have them done it for you. They are the only ones who can do a good job to it. I found it surprising that your car shakes only after high speed, when I first got my 20''s, the car shakes at 75~80 mph, and after that it's dead smooth. even better at 100 mph.

Trust me on this, you will like to have the DEALER do this for u!! I tried 2 other allignment shops, waste of money and time. the car still shakes!!!
Wei? Did you go with the 245-35 instead of the 245-30 for cosmetic reasons or ride comfort and rim safety?
Manaray? Do you know THE largest tire that will fit an 8.5"? I currently have 245/40/18 on mt 8" front and 265/35/18 on my 9" SSR rear. I have seen my rim on an Rx-7 using 275's in the back though.... could I realistically put a 245 in front and a 265 in the rear, like I have now, but with both rims being 8.5"?????Thanks, Tiny

Last edited by tinygs; 06-26-01 at 05:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Got my 20's, it is sweet !!!