GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Got my 20's, it is sweet !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-01, 09:38 PM
GS - T.O.
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi Guys,

I just got my 20's installed today, they look awsome. The whole car looks really tight now So far, I have L-tuned spring and shock, L-tuned ECU and silver 20's with T1-S on them. Plus the DIY grill I learn from xsuperjoex (who can forget the King).

The handling is incredible, yet the ride is still good. Before I got the wheel I was really worry that it can not take the street in Toronto. But after driving it for a day, I did not find it all that different from my stock 16's. I was able to go through most of the pump with no problem (maybe I am already a careful driver ). Sasha, I really recommend that you get 20's if you can.

The only problem I have today is that after the car reach over 90km/h, it start to shake a lot. I think it might be the wheel is not balance right, or the alignment. But my friend doesn't think alignment can cause such a big shake. Anyhow, I am going back to the shop tomorrow to figure it out. Anyone have any experience with this?

I will be taking lot of picture soon and post them when I can. Thanks for those who strongly suggested that I get the 20's. Now, I love it so much that I don't even want to leave the garage.
Old 06-22-01, 10:00 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the symptom is obvoius within a certain speed, then 90% of time is BALANCing problem.
Old 06-22-01, 10:44 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Congrats!

G.S. TO,

Congrats on the DUBZ (What kind of wheels did you get??).. Can't wait to see the pictures.. Did the dealership install the springs and shocks for you.. If so how much did they charge you??

BTW does anyone know who makes the shocks for L-Tuned.. Is it KYB??

What gs4will said is so true.. When I first got my GS the 17's would shake the car and filter through the steering wheel when I was at approx. 100 km/h but went away when I got past 120km/h .. Brought it back to Ken Shaw and they did what they called a Digital Balancing of the wheels under load (Must be a type of balancing machine.. I guess).. Anyways it cured the problem right away..
Old 06-22-01, 11:14 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the reason the car shakes because of 2 reasons,
1) allignment 2) balancing. Go to your Lexus dealer and have them done it for you. They are the only ones who can do a good job to it. I found it surprising that your car shakes only after high speed, when I first got my 20''s, the car shakes at 75~80 mph, and after that it's dead smooth. even better at 100 mph.

Trust me on this, you will like to have the DEALER do this for u!! I tried 2 other allignment shops, waste of money and time. the car still shakes!!!
Old 06-22-01, 11:55 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Perhaps you need balancing rings? I had a slight vibration almost like the stock wheels. Mine were perfectly balanced, but they opted not to use balancing rings. They said if it becomes a problem for me, they would ask enkei for a set of rings. Look into getting some specific rings for the specific car.

Congrats on the DUBZ...I am curious as to how silver 20" wheels look on our cars. I am selling my chrome dubz in favor of a 3pc 20 with either silver or platinum finish. Post some pics please.

Mike
Old 06-23-01, 07:57 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GS T.O. those rims must look AMAZING!!

20s do sound very tempting.. unfortunatly all the rims i like only come in 19"
Old 06-23-01, 10:58 PM
GS - T.O.
Driver

The wheel I got is Zenetti Mystik. It was the best combination of quality and price for me. I got it at Wheel Direct, they gave me a really good price.

Unfortunatly, my shaking problem still exist, but not as bad as yesterday. I went back to the shop and they recheck the balance. It appear that all four wheel are balanced perfectly now. However, I still experience unusual amount of shaking when I am @ 100km/h. I am thinking of going to the dealership on Monday to do another alignment and balance check anyway.

I took some pics today, now I just need to scan them into the computer. Hopefully I have something up by tomorrow.
Old 06-24-01, 03:26 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm...in case anyone is wondering what it looks like, take a look that the real thing below...Weds Kranze Cerebrus...

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but the Zenetti Mystik are not only Design Knock-Offs of the Weds rim, but they're also fake "3-piece" rims (they're really 1-piece rims designed to look like "3-piece rims...keeps the price in the "dirt cheap" catagory)...plus they're heavy as hell (chrome bling-blings are even worse)...sorry, I do not feel that these rims deserve to grace a Lexus...only bad thing about the real thing is that they DO NOT come in 20"...but I'd rather have real 19's...

But anyways, have you noticed a slow down in acceleration and longer braking distances?

Attached Thumbnails Got my 20's, it is sweet !!!-kranze-20cerebrus.jpg  

Last edited by Manaray; 06-24-01 at 03:31 AM.
Old 06-24-01, 03:48 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up MEMORIZE

Once you get some 20's you'll MEMORIZE every pothole in your neighborhood and the route to your work/school.
Trust me, I know EVERY pothole in my neighborhood and at work.

Its funny, when I had my lowenhart br5's with perelli p-zero's, I had shaking going on at 60 mph. They did balancing and everyother idea imaginable. Though the shaking did not go away. When I switch to my Kazmir with Toyos, the shaking stop completely
Old 06-24-01, 04:09 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

DIESELMAN is right, tell me any road within a 15 mile radius from my house, and I will tell you every pothole and crack in the road. Anything outside that radius, I'll be watching everywhere I go. Trust me, that last thing that you want to do is mess up your dubs.

Old 06-24-01, 05:15 AM
GS - T.O.
Driver

Originally posted by manaray
But anyways, have you noticed a slow down in acceleration and longer braking distances?

I did notice a little bit of slow down in acceleration, but my breaking is actually improved! Maybe because the tire grips better now.
Old 06-24-01, 06:25 PM
CJGS4
Rookie

You might need some hubcentric rings for your wheels so that they fit more properly... Especially if the balancing/alignment doesn't help.. What these do is they allow the wheel to fit more perfectly on the 5 bolts...

-Chris Y.
Old 06-24-01, 07:24 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

percisely what I said...
Old 06-24-01, 10:10 PM
GS - T.O.
Driver

Hi,

The pictures are up, enjoy

I will definitly ask about the hubcentric ring when I go to the shop again. Thanks for the tips.
Old 06-24-01, 10:16 PM
GS - T.O.
Driver

Forgot the mention, the picture name are in "Baby-G_tuned" series.

Quick Reply: Got my 20's, it is sweet !!!