GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Passenger Seatbelt Signal

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-01 | 12:05 AM
01BlueGS430
Rookie

Angry

Not sure if this feature comes on the 400's but my 430 has a light right next to the clock that flashes if there's a passenger w/o a seatbelt on. It's a nice safety feature, but more annoying than anything.

Wondering if anyone knows how I can disconnect it? Any ideas on how to make it quit flashing?

Thanks

Rich
Old 06-23-01 | 03:30 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Tell the passenger to wear their seatbelt. Works for me everytime!

Brian
Old 06-23-01 | 03:52 AM
01BlueGS430
Rookie

Should have known...I had that one coming.

My roommates rides w/ me all the time, and will not wear his seatbelt. If he wants to fly out the windshield, that's up to him, but that damn light makes me nuts.
Old 06-23-01 | 06:52 AM
lex430
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 01BlueGS430

My roommates rides w/ me all the time, and will not wear his seatbelt. If he wants to fly out the windshield, that's up to him, but that damn light makes me nuts.
make sure you send your roomates the repair bill for the windshield also! I'm sure a brand new windshield on a GS ain't cheap
Old 06-23-01 | 07:54 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 01BlueGS430

Actually, you're liable should anything happen to him. And in GA it's the law. So, it's my car and I make the rules for my passengers.

Since seeing the result of one of my college friends not wearing a seatbelt and hitting his windshield in a front-end accident (his face will never look the same) I have a simple rule in my car.

Wear the seatbelt or walk.
Old 06-23-01 | 09:50 AM
whitediamond
Pole Position

Default no

Im sure you could pull out the panel and just disconnect the wire to the light or just pull the bulb. But of course I agree with others. I never let anyone ride without a seat belt-saved me twice and I do want to feel responsible when a close person of mine has to be fed through a hose. He may thank you for it one day. Stats are that everyone who drives will be involved in at least 2.1 accidents in their life. But you cant make a horse drink........
Old 06-23-01 | 04:44 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Also, that 150-200lbs. passenger becomes a 150-200lbs. flying object if you happen to hit something. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to risk MY safety because someone is ignorant.

Brian
Old 06-23-01 | 09:35 PM
disc108
Lead Lap

duct tape it!
Old 06-23-01 | 09:52 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

if he doesnt want to wear the seatbelt then tell him to cover the light with his finger so it wont anoy you anymore or else tell him to wear the seatbelt
Old 06-23-01 | 10:53 PM
salimshah

put the belt in the buckle:

With the passenger secured [prefrred]

or

with the passenger sitting on it [unsafe]

Salim
Old 06-23-01 | 11:06 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool

I have gotten into some heated arguments with my girlfriend who says that all she need's to wear is the Lap belt. She puts the belt that is suppose to go over your chest behind her back and the light does not come on. She only weighs like 112 pounds so I don't think she will be much of a projectile problem.
Old 06-24-01 | 12:55 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ceoart
I have gotten into some heated arguments with my girlfriend who says that all she need's to wear is the Lap belt. She puts the belt that is suppose to go over your chest behind her back and the light does not come on. She only weighs like 112 pounds so I don't think she will be much of a projectile problem.

dude, it IS a projectile problem. She's your girlfriend, care for her man. (not to be mean or anything)

my dog is 8 pounds and I always put him in a basket, then seatbelt the basket. Extra precautions never hurt.

If my girlfriend refuses to wear seatbelts then I just wouldn't drive. I've seen too many tragedies happening around. Not going to add another one to the list.
Old 06-24-01 | 08:21 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default Not True

Originally posted by ceoart
If this sounds too much like preaching, please excuse me, but I've seen the reality of this kind of thinking ________________

I blame this on watching too much unreal stuff on TV and movies.

No offense please. But, unless you've seen the result of a 60 mph accident it's difficult to really understand what happens to the car and the human body under that much instant deceleration. At higher speeds it gets exponentially worse. In sudden deceleration from 60 mph your 112 lb. girlfriend weighs over a 1000 lbs. :eek:

And the entertainment media makes it SO CLEAN. People get into head on collisions, open the door and get out,. They get into high-speed roll overs, brush themselves off and walk away ...doesn't often happen like that even with belts and shoulder restraint.

If you care about her and want her to continue to be who she is and look the way she is now -- get her past her vanity and put the shoulder strap on.
Old 06-24-01 | 08:27 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs down

Originally posted by genearch
This thread reminds me of a good friend. This guy is pretty off the wall with his thinking. He refuses to wear a seatbelt or bicycle helmet. His thinking is that "america has become a bunch of pu$$ies". When seat belts weren't required you KNEW how to drive and hang on in an accident. ...

On Bicycle helmets:
It makes our children terrible bicycle riders. When we didn't wear a helmet, we learned to become a good rider out of sheer fear. We either rode well or crashed. If we crashed, our sore head would encourage us to ride better next time. "look at me... I'm wearing a helmet.. I don't care how well I ride.. I have a helmet on so I can crash and I'll be fine". (his favorite line)

A mutual friend crashed his bike going down a steep city street, he broke his collarbone and his helmet was trashed, it surely saved his life. The first thing my other friend asked him was "were you wearing a helmet?" and he blamed the crash on the helmet and the skinny tires on the bike. "everyone knows you need fat tires on a bicycle".
Unfortunately (or fortunately - not sure which) there's no law against STUPIDITY. Sounds like your friend is aching to be a candidate for a Darwin award.
Old 06-24-01 | 04:29 PM
Wheels Boutique
Former sponsor

just pill the panel off and there is a small bulb just pull it off and put back the panel!