GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

NEED HELP: wire shortage

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-05, 07:03 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP: wire shortage

I noticed after a few months of having my car that my TAILLIGHT went out on the driverside of the car, it would be on somethimes and off others so after i received my 01' tails that was cool. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Then a few weeks ago i noticed my driverside sidemarker dim and/or flickering so sometimes i have to hit the light to make it come in. PROBLEM KINDA SOLVED

But the problem NOW is my fog light, it was out on my paggenger side so i ordered another set of blue bulbs for it (and some new clear fog housings) and when i went to go install the bulb the old bulb came in so i was like F%*@ it i'll STILL change it so i have no problems later,
so i put the new bulbs in and put the new fog lights in also SO everything was fine........
I LOOKED like 3 days later the fog bulb is out!! AGAIN!!!

I AM PISSED, I have come to the conclusion that i must have some type of wiring problem on my car, i did notice when i changed the fog bulb it smelt a lil burnt but didnt know if that was just from the bulb being hot!

How can i fix this problem? What can be done to test the fog harness, ect....??

Thanks
~Kia
Old 06-04-05, 07:47 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good luck-electrical probs can be a royal PITA
Old 06-04-05, 09:00 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Not what i wanted ti hear but thanks!
Old 06-08-05, 04:10 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe this can help?
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=21025
Old 06-08-05, 10:23 PM
salimshah

Received 1,063 Likes on 957 Posts

Bulbs usually pop due to current surges or due to age. The third factor is shock (motion) and if the fillament is not attached well (manufacturing/quality) it will separate.

Current surges are usually due to poor connection [at the bulb, in the harness, at the battery terminals] or due to over voltage produced by alternator. A good connectoin at the battery usually clamps the over-voltage spikes.

Since it is happening all over, the most probable common point of trouble would be the battery terminals, in perticular the gnd. The next is the switch that activates the bulbs. Try the auto or manual lights on position of the switch to isolate which one it might be.

Bulb socket would be the culprit if the same location fails repeatedly.

Salim.
Old 06-08-05, 10:40 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

im confused now!! Its definitly the wire because as i opened the fog light housing the bulb came back in so i wiggled the wire and it went out then back on, so its really a short in the wire. But the question is what can i DO about the short? There is a rubber-like sleeve sround the wires the shortaged area is somewhere under there.

Originally Posted by salimshah
Bulbs usually pop due to current surges or due to age. The third factor is shock (motion) and if the fillament is not attached well (manufacturing/quality) it will separate.

Current surges are usually due to poor connection [at the bulb, in the harness, at the battery terminals] or due to over voltage produced by alternator. A good connectoin at the battery usually clamps the over-voltage spikes.

Since it is happening all over, the most probable common point of trouble would be the battery terminals, in perticular the gnd. The next is the switch that activates the bulbs. Try the auto or manual lights on position of the switch to isolate which one it might be.

Bulb socket would be the culprit if the same location fails repeatedly.

Salim.
Old 06-08-05, 10:51 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexus-Kia

im confused now!! Its definitly the wire because as i opened the fog light housing the bulb came back in so i wiggled the wire and it went out then back on, so its really a short in the wire. But the question is what can i DO about the short? There is a rubber-like sleeve sround the wires the shortaged area is somewhere under there.
Ah sounds like a broken/breaking wire in the harness.

Option 1: Replace the harness. Will be expensive, perhaps very, depending what else uses the harness.

Option 2: Repair the harness. Will take time but will be very rewarding. I did this once in my old Camry (sheesh...that was three cars ago), dissected the rubber boots, unwrapped the electrical tape, soldered a patch in place and rewrapped the wiring harness. I was pleased with myself for days afterwards.

Last edited by jonathancl; 06-08-05 at 10:54 PM.