GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cars in "Fast and Furious" Faster than ours?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-01, 08:20 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Has Anybody Raced their GS430 with the type of cars they had in the "Fast and Furious" ?? What was the outcome?
Old 06-24-01, 08:51 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default you have to be more specific

ceoart,

You'll have to be more specific. There are many types of cars on the street... modified... heavily modified... stickers... rice rockets... luxury rice rockets... moving time-bombs... mad-moms-in-minivans. The movie does show the phlethora of aftermarket performance vehicles in Southern California.
Old 06-24-01, 09:09 PM
chino78
Rookie

You'll hold your own at almost any local street race.(I do atleast) Now the cars in the fast and furious are something else most of those cars had A LOT of money invested into them. That rx7 that Vin was driving probably has over $50,000 worth of work done to it. I don't know his name but the car belongs to some guy in team Bosuko(sp) its nice either way. Some cars that I've killed that would be "something like" the cars in the fast and the furious would be. . . Turbo Civic(had a Integra type R engine with a neuspeed turbo pushing 15 PSI) Nissan maxima(show quality car had a 100 shot of NOS and some other crap) Turbo IS300(Custom Fabricated turbo pushing 7.5 PSI) too many to list really but these are just a bunch of kids that dump every little paycheck from McDonalds into their car. The cars in the Fast and Furious were serious cars that were sponsored or modified by people that can dump that kind of money into a car. Hope that answers your question
Old 06-24-01, 09:25 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Originally posted by chino78
You'll hold your own at almost any local street race.(I do atleast) Now the cars in the fast and furious are something else most of those cars had A LOT of money invested into them. That rx7 that Vin was driving probably has over $50,000 worth of work done to it. I don't know his name but the car belongs to some guy in team Bosuko(sp) its nice either way. Some cars that I've killed that would be "something like" the cars in the fast and the furious would be. . . Turbo Civic(had a Integra type R engine with a neuspeed turbo pushing 15 PSI) Nissan maxima(show quality car had a 100 shot of NOS and some other crap) Turbo IS300(Custom Fabricated turbo pushing 7.5 PSI) too many to list really but these are just a bunch of kids that dump every little paycheck from McDonalds into their car. The cars in the Fast and Furious were serious cars that were sponsored or modified by people that can dump that kind of money into a car. Hope that answers your question
I was thinking that cars like in the movie really don't have the performance they appeared to have. Could you really put all that stuff in a Honda Civic like in the movie and have it go faster than GS430 with a Supercharger etc?. Was Hollywood making this up? I saw the Batmobile at the Auto Show and learned we have more horsepower in our GS430 than it really had!:eek:

Last edited by ceoart; 06-24-01 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-24-01, 10:43 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that green eclipse has the RS engine (non turbo, not the 4G63 on the GS-T and GS-X) with a bolt on turbo.
Old 06-24-01, 11:56 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

There are definitely ricers (Hondas, Acuras, 240's, Max's,etc) here in Austin that go the extra mile..
All types of heavily moded cars... Multiple Supras running 10's in the quarterif you can swallow that........
There are lots of sub 13 second lightweight ricers running around southern Texas.....From a 40-60 roll-on I usally own them though.... Those cars in the movie are out there, but that movie was embarrassing to watch, the lingo, etc. was such B.S!!! Tiny
Old 06-25-01, 02:51 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If someone make a Honda, Acura, 240's, etc. really fast, I don't think it classifies as a "ricer" anymore..."ricers" are cars that pretend to look fast, but aren't...

And yes, I have a few friends that have Civics and whatnot that will eat my GS430 alive...

Tiny, I have to agree with you on the lingo...kinda lame...some other "stupid" parts but Jordana Brewster is hot. That's what mattered...
Old 06-25-01, 06:47 AM
tim330i

Default what are you running

Originally posted by chino78
chino78 what are you running in your car? what are your times, some of the cars you are talking about are pushing 250 - 350 hps and are considerably lighter than the GS.

Tim

Old 06-25-01, 07:26 AM
MrHorse
Pole Position

Default Sub-10-second 1/4 mile..

Some of those little 4-cylinder Civics and Eclipses, or the 6-cylinder Supras and rotary RX7's are very quick. Consider that the fastest production Porsche runs the 1/4 mile in about 12 seconds. Some of these little rockets burn the 1/4 mile at 9 seconds. That's VERY fast. Vinny Ten's Supra is pushing 1100 HP with 6 cylinders. His ET is high 8 seconds. David Buschur's 4 cylinder Talon runs about 9 seconds. As does Adam Saruwatari's RX7. Some Honda Civics are in the 8's.. And yes, Chino was right, some have spent $50K or more on modifying these bad *** racers. Most are NOT street legal. Modded daily drivers run the strip in around 10-12 second range (with full interior). Still faster than any GS4. But again, many of these cars have loud exhaust systems ONLY (with body kits). Making them sound like they have ***** when in turn they have no engine-work done to make them fast.

How was the movie BTW?
Old 06-25-01, 09:56 AM
chino78
Rookie

Just because they have 250-300 hp doesn't mean they can put it on the ground. You got to remember our cars do not spin the tires that much compared to anything else with 300hp with the same width tire. Therefore we can get a quicker launch and start to pull while they are still burning rubber trying to get traction. No times I go to street races not actual 1/4 mile drag strips. I'd like to go to an actual strip but there's too much crap you have to do to get into one around here you'd think organizations like Racers Against Street Racing and others like it would make the track a lot more apealing to us.
Old 06-25-01, 10:20 AM
SpectraGS3
Driver

That 600+ hp Supra would have easily killed that F355 that it raced. The F355 is a 13 second car and lasted way to long racing that Supra.

One thing about those 4 cylinder cars like the S2000, Civic, etc... is that they have to keep there RPM's so high to generate hp and tq that they kill the engines over time and reving your car to 4000-5000 rpm, then dumping the clutch will spin the wheels on those cars and they won't go. The GS400 makes full tq of 310 at a decent 4000 rpm while the S2000 with a turbo would have to rev to like 7-8k rmp to get the same tq. The fact that it's lighter will keep it from getting traction even with wider tires. All that VTEC crap the Civic drivers talk about is BS, VTEC Civics have the same 120 something hp as a regular civic, they don't get the extra 50-60 hp until the car is at 4000+ rmp's when VTEC kicks in, VVT-i is much more advanced and provides ignition tuning across the power band for max hp in any gear at any rpm.

And if I hear "Nos" one more time. Who says "Nos"? All the ricers I know call it "Nitros". Anyhow, when he said "Give me a big bottle of NOS, no, make it two" I laughed out loud. Why would you put two big *** bottles of the stuff when he only hit the "NOS" button like once? You get like 120 shots out of a 2.5L tank! That's just extra weight. And what exactly fell out of his Eclipse when he was driving? Was that some trap door or something? And I loved the computerized, color bar chart engine management system running on his lap top, where can I get one?

Sorry, just couldn't resist. But the RX-7, Supra and Charger were tight. You can check out the specs on the supra at: http://www.supra-store.com
Old 06-25-01, 11:19 AM
GS3-Kid858
Driver

to tell u guys the truth all the cars that were in there like the main cars were either 10 seconds or less because that all they wanted in their movie the rest of the cars that were side cars were just any car but the cars that raced were 10 seconds or less damm thats fast
Old 06-25-01, 11:51 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

And if I hear "Nos" one more time. Who says "Nos"? All the ricers I know call it "Nitros". Anyhow, when he said "Give me a big bottle of NOS, no, make it two" I laughed out loud. Why would you put two big *** bottles of the stuff when he only hit the "NOS" button like once? You get like 120 shots out of a 2.5L tank! That's just extra weight. And what exactly fell out of his Eclipse when he was driving? Was that some trap door or something? And I loved the computerized, color bar chart engine management system running on his lap top, where can I get one?

Sorry, just couldn't resist. But the RX-7, Supra and Charger were tight. You can check out the specs on the supra at: http://www.supra-store.com [/B][/QUOTE]

I have to agree.....LOLOLOLOLOL!!!! Was that a trap door? What the H*&^ was that??????/
Old 06-25-01, 11:53 AM
MrHorse
Pole Position

Default High rpm..

A Civic engine will never generate 300 lbs/ft of torque. It just can't, at any RPM. Not stock at least. A VTEC engine makes about 195 HP at around 7000 rpm, at the same time it maxes out its torque at 125 lbs/ft running at around 4000 rpm. Most engines have this uneven horsepower to torque curve. Some cars, like a single-turbo Supra or a twin turbo-charged Viper, or even a twin-turbo Porsche 911 have parallel torque and horsepower curves. The bigger the displacement, the easier it is for the engine to generate more torque in the low RPM range, say around 3000-4000, as in big V8, 10, and V12 engines. Forced-induction engines generate more torque in the high-RPM band.

Would you like some fries on the side with those two bottles of NOS?
Old 06-25-01, 01:16 PM
RhuluM
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys...well im sure you guys have seen the Orange Supra in the movie but i was just looking around and found that they were selling it on Dupont.

Check it out, its got some pretty crazy stuff in that car.

http://www2.dupontregistry.com/searc...76&sessionkey={1CA2DCB6-328B-4479-96E3-F07EFE162134}

i hope the url workss

well thats my 2 pennys.

Quick Reply: Cars in "Fast and Furious" Faster than ours?