GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Offer on a 2001 - dealer said no

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-05, 07:35 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If they bought it at 24 then they would be making money if they sold it at 27-28. Most likely the car was in good condition to begin with since it is a well made reliable expensive luxury car so they did not need to spend much if any to get it into selling condition. The tax on the car is not going to be 3 or 4 thousand dollars either. Even if it did need some work they would have offered a very low price for it and they get parts and detailing work for very low prices. To list it does not really cost much either. This dealership is playing games it sounds like and I would use caution buying from them because any repairs or issues will probrably be challenged or substandard if they are conducting themselves like that. Sometimes I wish we could just buy our cars straight from the factory or from owners instead of having to deal with shady greedy salesman trying to get the most they can from buyers like him. There are other GS's out there and I think I would say forget this place. There probrably isn't anybody else who is interested in the car in the first place and he is just saying that to get you to pay more just like he is saying he wouldn't make any money if he sold it at your offer. Keep us updated. Good Luck
Old 06-14-05, 01:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm reading all these is good, give me a very good idea about the market right now. good stuff

and yes, i would definitley consider the 03. it has porforated leather, newer nav, just more worth it imho
Old 06-14-05, 06:46 AM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
thanks (and everyone else :-) )

The dealer insists that $27K OTD is way too low and they absolutely will not make any money off the car. They swear they bought it for ~$24K and selling for $27 would either break even or make them lose money. Whatever, dealer talk I guess, but it could be true.

They are obviuosly playing a bidding war and trying to make some cash, since the primary salesman keeps telling me "other people are bidding $29K as is."

I already put in my $28K bid, but with new tires/floormats/and a small chip fix.

The guy could have had a sale tonight, but he kept telling me that his closer was out of the office today and that he was the only one who could close the deal.

They seem like they are lagging on it waiting for a higher buyer.
What's going on at that dealership where people are offering what your sales rep is demanding you pay and they have not sold to them? That makes no sense. Yes, the GS430 with NAV/ML and chrome 17" wheels are not extremely common, but if they were being truthful with anyone, the vehicle should have sold a few days ago to those "other bidders." Are you working with a Lexus dealer? Is the vehicle a certified pre-owned? If not, take your business elsewhere. I just visitied the LCPO web site and found a 2001 silver GS430 with NAV/ML and 17" chromes for $30,877 (44,209 miles odometer) and you get that awesome warranty for 3 years should something break. This veihcle can be found at Lexus of Beverly Hills.

We picked up my wife's 2003 GS430 with 17" chromes, rear spoiler, and NAV/ML (10,861 miles odometer) last November for a hair over $40k out the door from a dealer in Houston on eBay Motors. No, we did not buy a CPO vehicle, but that's because the vehicle was still well under the original warranty of 50k miles or until January 2008.

Best of luck in your search!
Old 06-14-05, 09:52 AM
Lvangundy

Dealer calls back with OTD of $29,300.

I'm sticking to $28K OTD w/ floormats/tires
Old 06-14-05, 10:52 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call them back to re-affirm your offer. Also let them know if they change their minds next week it will be $27,900.
Old 06-14-05, 11:58 AM
Lvangundy

I'm now considering going CPO because of the obvious benefits. The only minus is the higher price.
Old 06-14-05, 07:50 PM
Lvangundy

Default Update..

Well. I didn't get the car from the dealer. I'm quite annoyed right now.

I show up there (25 mile drive BTW) and I'm told a guy has put a deposit down and would be there in 30 minutes.

They suggested I wait to see what happened so I went and got some food and hung out.

1 hour passes, I call and the guy tells me there's basically no hope since the buyer had arrived and was starting paperwork.

Boy, am I ticked!

There are a few major points here. I was in their dealership TWICE, called and kept in contact. I raised my offer up TWICE and waited on them for 2 hours. I would have no reason to go back to them unless they find another car that's in better condition, has less miles and a lower price. ehh.

One thing I'm noticing is that there are a TON of 2002's with NAV/ML/Chrome floating around at dealers. I don't really want NAV and even more so chrome wheels (bleh - swap out ASAP LOL)

Last edited by Lvangundy; 06-14-05 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-14-05, 08:29 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

isn't there any other dealers in your area?

just wait a few days and see what else comes up. summer is not the cheapest time to buy a car so you might end up paying a bit more for the right car.

also one thing to consider ... if they bought the car for 24k it would have to be from a trade in as these cars are definitely not going that cheap in the auctions yet. Your offer was OTD so that means tax + fees+ registration will be somewhere close to $3,000. add it up and you'll see why they didnt want to go that low. They might not of put alot/(if any) money into it since the tires are down to 40% and brakes are 50% but most dealerships expect to make more than 1k profit on a used car sale such as this.

good luck finding a car.
Old 06-14-05, 09:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
Well. I didn't get the car from the dealer. I'm quite annoyed right now.

I show up there (25 mile drive BTW) and I'm told a guy has put a deposit down and would be there in 30 minutes.

They suggested I wait to see what happened so I went and got some food and hung out.

1 hour passes, I call and the guy tells me there's basically no hope since the buyer had arrived and was starting paperwork.

Boy, am I ticked!

There are a few major points here. I was in their dealership TWICE, called and kept in contact. I raised my offer up TWICE and waited on them for 2 hours. I would have no reason to go back to them unless they find another car that's in better condition, has less miles and a lower price. ehh.

One thing I'm noticing is that there are a TON of 2002's with NAV/ML/Chrome floating around at dealers. I don't really want NAV and even more so chrome wheels (bleh - swap out ASAP LOL)
man, you are pissed at the dealership just coz' another guy paid higher price to get the car?
Old 06-15-05, 06:25 AM
Lvangundy

Hahah..no, That's how they do business, I was only frustrated because I was getting attached to the car (tsk tsk)..

The quest continues...
Old 06-15-05, 10:11 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Lee have you tried ebay?
Old 06-15-05, 11:39 AM
Lvangundy

Guess who called back.

$29,500 final offer. Car is still there.
Old 06-15-05, 11:42 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

tell them they are full of ***** and get your GS at some other dealer.
Old 06-15-05, 12:03 PM
LsportGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what are you going to do?
Old 06-15-05, 12:18 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like they are trying to work you.......

Quick Reply: Offer on a 2001 - dealer said no