GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

what's the BEST suspension, yes the BEST

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-01 | 12:53 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

WHat is the best suspension? coilover? ( i am sure it's not just shocks/springs.) what kinda of Coilover? Blitz? Tein? HKS? I want performance turning/handling ability like BMW .. help!! thanks
Old 06-25-01 | 02:33 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Well if you want to go full coilovers...the Tein's (CS), H&R's and Apex coilovers are all good...

I don't think any single one of them can be labeled "the best"...they're all excellent. The advatange of the Tein's is that they offer adjustable dampening...

Also, do the TRD STB, Sways, and LCB. I would also do a rear STB which TRD does NOT make (I picked the Carbon Fiber Ukyo Katayama UGO rear STB and I've been considering changing my TRD STB to a the UGO one STRICTLY to match front to rear...so I might be selling my front STB which I'll kick down to a fellow Club Lexus member for cheap)

And to tell you the truth, if you installed the TRD suspension parts (STB, Sways, LCB) and the rear STB (UGO, Carbin, etc.) and kept your L-Tuned spring/shock combo, you'll have better than BMW handling...easily...
Old 06-25-01 | 08:10 AM
Bobcat
Pole Position

manaray:

how much would it cost for parts / labor to do the "ultimate" suspension mods you have listed? If we could not afford to do them all at once, what order would you do them in?

I have Eibach springs but stock shocks. I have heard the Tein coilovers are pretty darn expensive. Help us out with your advice.
Old 06-25-01 | 01:40 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

what I would consider the best coilover system:

TOM'S ADVOX AND BRACE COMPLETE SUSPENSION KIT.

expensive but it comes with EVERYTHING.

Old 06-25-01 | 02:24 PM
GSPOWER
Driver

how much is the Tom complete set?

i have the Tein's right now... i'm pretty satisfied except for this annoying clunking sound coming from one of the rear coilover. the tein's cost in the neighborhood of $1400.
Old 06-25-01 | 03:07 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

You need to define what your needs are first. What kind of driving do you do and where do you do it.

The best performing suspension might have 800lb springs and double ajdustable Konis but also knock your teeth out everywhere except the track. Even with the Tien coilovers you could likely order different rate springs. However, if they sell a street set up, I would defer to their engineering instead of your own.

Bottomline, even a moderate perf. street suspension is hard for the average driver to exploit. I would highly recommend more negative camber up front (no more than 2 degrees) and in the back if you can. It will wear tires faster but is the only way to really rid a car of understeer.

You should try to find some guys in your area to ride with so you can compare.
Old 06-25-01 | 05:13 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by GSPOWER
how much is the Tom complete set?

$4,400 whole set.

http://l-tunedparts.com/html/partsordering-toms.html

that's suppose to be Carson Toyota's site I assume (related to Steve @ Carson.) Maybe he can get some SPECIAL pricing for ClubLexus?

on that website, the picture of that ADVOX complete kit is the pic from the set for the Altezza. Aristo kit is different, and the STB won't fit the GS300.

what's included (Japanese translation)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Upper Performance Rod Front (STB)
Suspension Member Brace Front
Suspension Member Brace Rear
Lower Body Strengthening Brace Rear
Upper Performance Rod Rear (Rear STB)
ADVOX-Sports coilovers (special setting for complete kit)

Old 06-25-01 | 05:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by gsintensive
WHat is the best suspension? coilover? ( i am sure it's not just shocks/springs.) what kinda of Coilover? Blitz? Tein? HKS? I want performance turning/handling ability like BMW .. help!! thanks
So you want to replace the L-Tuned setup??

First off, you've got 20s, which aren't designed for great handling.

Second, my L-Tuned setup with TRD sways and braces easily out corners my neighbor's 540i with sport package. Yet my car is still comfortable.

Third, racing coilovers will be rock hard and with TRD sways your car will corner FLAT, *BUT* you'd better not have any weak dental work because it will fall apart in the jarring ride.

Old 06-25-01 | 09:33 PM
SUPRATRD
Original CL Sponsor since 1999

Hey Globe,

You notice everything Tom's didn't have the Advox GS pic yet, so we used the Altezza.

Yes, clublexus members get special pricing. This is a Tom's Racing kit, so not everyone will need something this demanding. This is probably the ultimate set-up for a GS if you have the $$$

And because of my agreement with Tom's you need to email me for pricing.
Old 06-25-01 | 10:05 PM
kodai
Driver

with out question, the TEIN CS Spec. suspention is the best out there. I have had H&R and found it to be too stiff. The same goes for the HA system from TEIN. The CS Spec system is the best.
Old 06-25-01 | 10:15 PM
y2kgs
Pole Position

I will be getting the complete Tom's set-up once I get the money.
As for the ECU, sounds interesting but still need more info. Call Steve for the best price
Old 06-25-01 | 11:47 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Bobcat - I would do the TRD "Group" first...the STB, Sways, LCB and Steering ECU (if your GS needs it)...it should cost about $100 - $200to install the Sways, LCB, and ECU...and the STB you can do yourself...figure it'll be around $1000 or so for all the parts...

Then I would go with the lowering...the Apex coilovers are the least expensive of the bunch but they're excellent (from what I've heard). Around $1400+ plus a couple hundred to install...if you were closer, I would take you to one my "hook up" shops and they could give you a better price, but Maryland is little far to drive! ...

The less expensive route to go is spring/shock replacment (like L-Tuned)...but you don't get adjustability (height OR dampening) so you're stuck with whatever height it comes out to...but it's only like $500-$600 for parts (steve or gs4will can give you a good price)

For strict handling, I think for MOST people, the TRD "group" will be good enough (even on stock suspension and tires). Once you get the rims/tires, it'll handle even better. Lowering (via spring/shocks or coilover) will take it to the next level...

Bob, since I've talked you in more detail about what you want, I would say just go with the shock/spring combo (L-tuned or otherwise)...OR you can go with the Lsportline setup which allows some height adjustment...

As for the Tom's setup, it's a nice, complete setup! But I wonder which coilover it comes with...comfort or sport.

Had this kit come out when I did all my suspension mods, I might have gotten it...hell, I still might get it...

Last edited by Manaray; 06-25-01 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-25-01 | 11:55 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SUPRATRD
Hey Globe,

You notice everything Tom's didn't have the Advox GS pic yet, so we used the Altezza.

they do now

do those pieces sell individually? Or is it easier to get the TRD pieces? Other than the STB, everything else TRD will fit the GS300 right?
Old 06-26-01 | 10:42 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Manaray, check ur PM please
Old 06-26-01 | 11:04 AM
SpectraGS3
Driver

Forget who makes em but there are air shocks for the GS that are fully adjustable height and stiffness. You can go from so stiff that it's like your wheels are welded to the frame to stock like softness, from the ground to stock height and all at the touch of the switches.

Someone posted a link to their site before, might check the search feature but they are probabl around 4k, the hydro pumps take up the wheel well but that's it, not bad for fully adjustable at the touch of a switch, no scraping over driveways or speed bumps.

Quick Reply: what's the BEST suspension, yes the BEST