GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS 430 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-01, 11:34 AM
GSman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a GS 430 and have a couple of questions:

Can you close the windows using the master remote key? The owners manual only mentions opening them by holding the unlock button.

I have stock brakes. When braking I can actually feel through the brake pedal the brakes vibrating or rubbing when coming to a stop. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Old 06-25-01, 12:08 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GS430 answers

GSman,

as far as I know there is no way to close the windows "remotely" using the master key. You can close them by holding the key in the door lock and turning to the lock position and holding. I think they did not want them closing auto was a safety issue even though there is pinch control on the windows, it may have been too much risk or battery drain. Other thing I am thinking is what if its raining and you do it remotely, and you think the windows are fully closed, but they don't? You blame Lexus and try to get your flood damaged car fixed under warranty. I know that's a far-fetched arguement, but I couldn't think of any other reason why. Same weird argument for the doors that don't autolock when you put it in drive or reach 15mph, but they can be programmed to auto unlock when you put it in park.

As far as the brakes go, you shouldn't feel any vibration. How long have you had the car, and did you do any hard braking during the 1st 1000miles or so? It usually takes 1000 miles as a breakin period for the rotor and you should avoid hard/panic braking (obviously to the extent you can). How much vibration are we talking about and could it be road surface, or a tire out of balance? Hit any potholes? Possibly alignment got out of whack?
Old 06-25-01, 12:12 PM
gsexploits
Driver

I have the same feel with braking. They stop REALLY fast, but they do have a bit of a grind sensation to them. I only have 600 miles on my 430. How many on yours? I believe this is pretty normal with metallic brakes as are on the 430. They shouldn't be vibrating too dramatically though (just enough to feel it through the pedal).

Can you post picks as I am looking at the the L-tune shocks/springs/exhaust myself and my 430 is Silver with 17" chrome stock wheels as well.

Big difference? Exhaust add any performance, or more like the "sound of performance"?

As for the windows, the only way to close them all together is to stick the key in the driver door and hold it to the lock side for 15 seconds or until the windows/roof are closed.

Check this link out to another thread (it will take awhile to load). This shows all the options available to change regarding the 430 (thanks to LexusRules for posting it)

Dealer Adjustable Options

Hope this helps.
Old 06-25-01, 12:55 PM
GSman
Pole Position

My got the GS 430 as a dealer demo so it has about 6,500 miles. The brakes do have more of a grinding sensation which the dealer said is normal with the type of brake pads being used. Car had balancing and alignment at the dealer.

GSexploits,

Sorry, don't have any pics yet. You might be able to find some pics in the gallery. But I would highly recommend the L-tuned springs/shocks for the improved handling and slightly lowered more aggressive look. The L-tuned exhaust is also nice and adds about 6 HP and is about 10% louder than stock, not to mention it looks a whole lot better.

Old 06-25-01, 04:16 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

as for exhaust, be careful of what you aiming at, Lots of exhausting will lose the back pressure and get better at high end torque. if you are eager for faster offline, you need the exhaust supports the back pressure, and at the same time gets more hp.

I recommand Lsportline exhaust the best sound/performance/look i think.
Borla S/S is awesome as well. but the sound is too surpressing on the low end, so after awhile it's really annoying.
Greddy is probably the most performance gains exhaust so far, but it loses back pressure a bit, but it goes faster on high end. but i think the fits and the tips are.. hm... not my cup of tea.

anywayz. just my 02 ^^