GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: What GS model should Luxury Motorworks build their setup on first?
GS 400
62.07%
GS 430
37.93%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Luxury Motorworks / LMS Supercharger Setup for the GS 400 or GS430. You decide!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-05, 08:51 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am very interested in an SC kit for the GS400. But if I am paying $7500 for an extra 60 horse to the wheels then it is not worth it for me.

Basically I want bang for my buck. If that is possible then I would be 100% down to buy it.

I understand with a lot more juice we need an upgraded tranny - which I would be willing to pay for also.

So, in short, would be interested for the 400, but want better than 1hp for every $100 ( which in essence means I want more than 75hp for $7500 )

Jonny
Old 06-17-05, 10:06 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LXOGOOD
Guys, lets try and keep this thread as simple as possible. Right now, Luxury Motorworks just wants to know what makes more sense... Producing a setup for the GS430 or 400 first.

Many of these questions cannot be answered only because they haven't even thought out the full logistics of the setup.

Right now, set pricing has not been determined. Please keep in mind that the pricing is determined by what parts are used, what SC will be used to power the setup, and how complicated the piping will be. The LMS setup will include their very own fuel management system and a wide band to monitor all readings.

Rominl You have very valid points my friend... Please keep in mind that the SC430 pricing is that because of the Supercharger they used, the Jet Hot Coating to keep intake temps down and for their custom intercooler setup with dual fans. Some of these things may not be needed for the GS400 or GS430. Only time will tell...

NOW BACK TO THE POLL
I only mentioned it costing $7500 because I thought that since they built the S/C for the SC430 they would use the same setup. But if they are building the GS S/C from stratch, then it could be around $5000 like the GS/IS300 or it could be more than the $7500 SC430 kit.

I don't think Steve Larkin would mind me posting these pics that he sent me. I belive this is one of the first SC430 Superchager kits that were done. Enjoy

Old 06-17-05, 10:27 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ken
i really think taht there isnt much profit to be made in either the gs400 or gs430 superchargers.
i mean like socalgs4 said before RMM made 25 kits and it took what over 6 years to sell them, i mean how much moiney did they really make.
people alot of times talk of buying a 5k mod but never do.
now this would beneift us "show car" people who are in to the show scene ecause LMS has some BLING BLING systems and apparently they are very nicely put together.
but if someone didnt buy the RMM kit because of a 800 fuel system or something along those lines they seriuously made a mistake. i have about 8k in my kit now and the bll is still adding up. i think that LMS should make something for the gs400 befor the gs430 mainly becuase there are more owner on the gs400. the only problem being with both the car is are they really going to sell any kits forthe gs400 becuase of the previous RMM kits, and if they make it for the gs430. how many peopl eoulw actually have the cash to thorw down on a kit?????? i mean it took me about 8 months to take th plunge on buying a kit.
Old 06-18-05, 02:36 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

RMM's kit was made 5years ago but they just advertised it on their site I belive early 2004 and by the end of they year they were done selling it w/ afew hanging around
Old 06-18-05, 07:05 AM
jaja
Pole Position

guys - don't flame me for asking, but there's no chance that this is going to be CARB legal right?

I could be interested depending on the final pricing (and of course power added)
Old 06-18-05, 09:24 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are awesome... Keep the comments coming! I'm going to leave this sticky up for a few more days for more input.

GILLEXUS: Ron, thank you for posting pics of the SC430. The pics I have came out dark because the car was in the shop. The setup is a beautiful piece of work. RMM did a poor job marketing their charger setup. They did not sell very many of them at the price of $5500. It was only until they did their blow out special of $4500, is when they sold a crap load of them off the shelves.

00lexondub: Rick, I agree with ya. From a business stand point, it is very difficult to make decisions like this. Rmm had a hard time and so did SRT selling SC's for the GS400. This is why Luxury wants to reach to the members here to get their opinions. However, I must say the the LMS kit will look a 100 times better than the previous setups. Attention to detail is what LMS is all about. Wait until you see my upgraded F.I. setup next week!

jaja: At this time, the kits are not carb legal. Sorry man...
Old 06-18-05, 09:31 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I didnt take the time to read through this thread entirely, so this may have already been said.

Keep in mind, there is a HUGE discrepency between those that say they want a SC unit, and those that actually purchase one.

There is a reason that companies like RMM and SRT no longer sell the units.....supply vs demand vs the cost to R&D the unit.

Dont take the "ooh I want one" response as gospil is all IM saying.
Old 06-18-05, 09:32 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

LXOGOOD

where does LMS run the S/C off of ??
Old 06-18-05, 10:55 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
LXOGOOD

where does LMS run the S/C off of ??

On the GS/IS300 setup, they have a custom polished crank pulley that bolts onto the stock crank pulley. Basically, that allows them to run a larger or smaller crank pulley setup to spin the SC at a faster or slower RPM. And if you break the SC belt, the car will still drive home.

Notice the two seperate belts. Also, look how large the SC belt is. That allows for less slippage.

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 06-18-05 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-18-05, 01:01 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

On the GS/IS300 setup, they have a custom polished crank pulley that bolts onto the stock crank pulley. Basically, that allows them to run a larger or smaller crank pulley setup to spin the SC at a faster or slower RPM. And if you break the SC belt, the car will still drive home.

Notice the two seperate belts. Also, look how large the SC belt is. That allows for less slippage.
Absolutely beautiful, if it runs as good as it looks I think they will sell these.

Also, I know everyone is big on commenting about how these don't get purchased but look at the amount of people here recently just on this site that have taken the plunge on used kits and incomplete kits that still need a good amount of work and tuning in order to run. i don't think it is fair to compare the success of the RMM kit that went on sale what, 5 years ago, to how successful a kit could be now. As mentioned earlier in the thread the entry $$$ on a GS400 now is so much lower and we are also removed from warrantee issues. Since i have been on this site quite a few people have sprung for SC and I was very close myself to getting the last RMM unit. Had the RMM been bolt on without fuel management worries i would have picked it up. As long as LMS makes these units with fuel management (and it works well) I think they will be more popular than previous kits... especially if they can get some press in the right mags and such and some representation at the shows. When people start to see they can get the GS4 for 15K and drop another 5K on the SC... pretty nice performing sedan for 20K... just my 2 cents.
Old 06-18-05, 01:32 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Ken, big ups to you, Steve and LMW for doing this, with the number of posts I read here every week with people whining about superchargers and willing to buy them used I am suprised at the response, it appears that both kits will be made without any commitment to buy from anyone, they simply are polling to see who wants the kit first, 400 or 430, finally someone designs COMPLETE kits that don't nickel and dime you to death.
Old 06-18-05, 02:26 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

The simple answer would be BOTH. I know a place in So. California can do a custom supercharger setup for $5,000. Head unit will be Procharger ATI P1SC and its completely daily driver. Since stock fuel system only can support 8 psi, therefore its only 8 psi for now and increase boost with after market fuel system.

From my personally experience, stay away from small head unit or lower internal ratio unit.
Old 06-18-05, 03:28 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

see thats great

i really like the fact that it runs off the crank

good luck with these kits

get the money up front and all will be well..similar to the way SRT did it back in the day
Old 06-18-05, 03:31 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

get the money up front and all will be well..similar to the way SRT did it back in the day
And still does!
Old 06-18-05, 10:39 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Just curious...let's say LMS decides to prototype an SC kit for either 400/430. What would the estimated time be from R&D to actual production?

Also would having a Torque Converter, LSD and/or headers (from JBrady's thread) be affected if one was to get the SC?

LXO: Not sure if you've posted before, but what type of HP gains did you get out of the SC for your car? Any problems with it so far?

The thing for me that has deturred me from getting FI has always been hearing problems with always having to do little things after the install. Most of the time it's nothing major, but would still cost a couple hundred bucks here and there, plus having the car in the shop all the time. If this SC can eliminate or minimize those after install costs, I think that would help sway some ppl to get it (me included).

Quick Reply: Luxury Motorworks / LMS Supercharger Setup for the GS 400 or GS430. You decide!