GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: What GS model should Luxury Motorworks build their setup on first?
GS 400
62.07%
GS 430
37.93%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Luxury Motorworks / LMS Supercharger Setup for the GS 400 or GS430. You decide!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-05, 07:43 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

WARRANTY.....that's why....as its been said in this thread already, who spends 50K on a new car and straps on FI that would void their warranty??? (well, actually, I would ...but im an idiot like that). The 2nd gen GS has dropped in price, most are out of warranty, which makes it easier for the younger crowds to afford them....which is usually the main age group buying these kinds of items. (once again, except for me, Im an old fugger).
Old 06-20-05, 10:00 PM
jp430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I think it's great that LMS is even considering this- RMM sold, what, 25 GS400 supercharger kits in five years? It's hard to believe an undertaking like this could be very profitable!

With my industry connections, I could probably do a killer twin turbo set-up for about the same price as the old RMM S/C kit... for me it comes down to priorities- I'm pretty sure 309 hp in my 2250 lb MR2 will keep me happy for a while. Once that's done, I'll probably move on to the new GS430 or LS 430.

I look forward to seeing how this all works out- but I am laying low for now.
This is the reason they should build one for the 430!!! 25 SC in 5 years. There are more 400 owners "SAYING" that they would buy one in the last 5 DAYS. Come on guys, you had your chance (25 SC's in 5 years). LMS knows what this 430 owner is willing to spend because they are doing all the work on my car.
Old 06-20-05, 10:16 PM
jp430
Driver

Default 31,000 in 5 years

Originally Posted by FutureGS400
>>MY '00 GS400 has 31,000 miles on it.
>> If you only have 5 posts, you should not even vote (just my opinion).
31,000 in 5 years???? You live in california?? I'm sorry you dont get out much. What do you do all day? Give opinions? I think if you dont even drive your car you should not vote. (again.......just my opinion)

Last edited by jp430; 06-20-05 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-20-05, 10:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jp430
31,000 in 5 years???? You live in california?? I'm sorry you dont get out much. What do you do all day? Give opinions? I think if you dont even drive your car you should not vote. (again.......just my opinion)
he drives decent. it's the previous owner who didn't drive much
Old 06-20-05, 10:49 PM
jaja
Pole Position

my my my - we're taking this 400 vs 430 thing pretty personally huh?

I think the bottom line is that fortunately or unfortunately there are more GS400 owners on this board who are interested in the SC. (me included)

and maybe FutureGS has other cars he rides... I have a total of three myself, and my GS4 has 73k miles on it.

lets just be cool... there's no reason to flame other people bro.
Old 06-20-05, 10:54 PM
jp430
Driver

Default i want one!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by LXOGOOD
Guys, here is an example of the LMS setup on the SC430. The pic is from the latest "Modified Luxury & Exotics" mag. Check out the SC430 forum for more pics...

Now, is there enough GS430 guys out there that would want a kit... Speak up..They already have designed a bracket... or should they spend more money and time into developing the GS400 bracket.

If you guys make one for the 430. I will give a deposit now. I know you guys will build some good S^@T.
Old 06-20-05, 11:01 PM
jp430
Driver

Default Its all good

Originally Posted by jaja
my my my - we're taking this 400 vs 430 thing pretty personally huh?

I think the bottom line is that fortunately or unfortunately there are more GS400 owners on this board who are interested in the SC. (me included)

and maybe FutureGS has other cars he rides... I have a total of three myself, and my GS4 has 73k miles on it.

lets just be cool... there's no reason to flame other people bro.
Dont take it the wrong way. We all have one thing in common. We love the cars (Lexus). I like debates like this. I dont think anyone is taking it to serious. Just having fun. I do wanna freckin super charger and I have the money for one right now. That is the only thing I am serious about. Just trying to get the Judge to see the light. group hug
Old 06-21-05, 04:43 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

This is the reason they should build one for the 430!!! 25 SC in 5 years. There are more 400 owners "SAYING" that they would buy one in the last 5 DAYS. Come on guys, you had your chance (25 SC's in 5 years). LMS knows what this 430 owner is willing to spend because they are doing all the work on my car.
Yeah, we have all had our GS400's for the last 5 years...

Let's take a roll call on those GS400 owners that voted as to how long they have owned their vehicles.

I just past the 1 year mark in April, have been modding since day 1, and have been researching FI just as long... If SRT still offered a FI kit that took advantage of their knowledge of the GS4 ECU in controlling VVTi and was bolt on for under 8K I would have already bought it.

Old 06-21-05, 06:01 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i have owner my 99 g400 for 2/12 years and like john been modding since the day i registered it.. my car has alittle over 60k on it

i think the points made about rmm selling 25 kits in 5yrs is not totally applicable here

there are some who have the dough but what to straddle the fence and let the test of time make some decisions for them , in other words watch those that have and what problems their may or not be, how far it can be squeezed and what downline effects that can haapen because of the squeezing of more power

i know some may say some of us are dreamers but truthfully some just like to be sure in the decisions made and when you are talking about a engine that can cost upwards of 12k to replace and a tranny that can cost upwards of 4500 to build up and replace thats alot of dough for some 100hp bump fun.. with the gs300 guys , their are min worries to be had for the 2 jz short block or longblocks are easily had for little money if necessay , the 1uz v8 are not easily found in a junkyard so rebuilds are expensive or outright replacements , just ask morris (sorry bro for you pains )

i know if i had a 300 i would have been under boost along time ago ..i still may go that route if someone like lms can produce a total pkge addressing all of the issues had with the rmm kit such as a real fuel management system intergrated into the design and not a afterthought, addressing the rev limiter bounce for any logical person can see that for a extended period of time that must reapidly wear doen the trannies internals , better routing of the intercooler piping so the cool compressed air gets into the thottle body quicker before attemping to heat up again whereby robbing power and also increasing chances of predetonation , also running off the main crank instead of off the power steering , (that must wear the powersteering assembly quicker) including of blow off valves already mounted , including of a cabin mounted a/f guage or safc maybe premounted where the ashtray was ready to install ( running 5-7lbs booost i really dont see the need for boost guage for you dont really have issues with compressor surge or boost spike like a turbo) , i never like where the air filter was mounted along the chassis rail , afterall the whole purpose of a conical filter was to get as much air into the system as posiible , with it sitting on the rail you choke off one whole side and the top side is right under the intercooler piping so between ingesting hot eng air it as well is being choked , too me from my reading not really a good design

i have spent loads of time looking at this and reading from other forums and i just could not justify the risk/reward ratios on the rmm kit , i mean for 80-100 to wheels for around 7k complete with the high potential for damage of cost from a min of 4k to 12 k for tranny rebuild and or eng rebuild just did not sit right with me

bottom line , most of us have bought or lexus because of proven reliability and durability , i want to see a kit designed with this as the paramount and underlining design in mind

(btw john i am with you on this one bud)
Old 06-21-05, 09:51 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am saying in general the 400's have alot more miles on them then the 430's. I would not put a supercharger on a car with 150,000 miles. The HP gains would not be the same. You lose HP over the years. I think they should make a sc for both. Just the 430 first. If you can afford a 430 you can afford a SC. Lots of people are voting for the 400, but how many are going to actually by it?

For the record I put the RMM supercharger on my car with over 200K miles on it. I also believe that I was able to hit the highest horsepower reading of those that have posted this information. 150K miles on this car is not a problem.

Of course I eventually broke some rings but I also was pushing the envelope.
Old 06-21-05, 11:42 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks Ed, I know there a quite a few mature (older) GS400 owners that bought the car for it's value, reliability, and performance as well as it's "mature" look.

For example, having a family I had to graduate from 2 door coupes and needed something 4 door I would enjoy to own and drive. Initially I wanted a WRX which would satisfy my cravings of shifting and speed/sporty feel but after discussing with friends and family decided it was still too much in the boy racer realm for a 34 year old... ok... and then I remembered the GS400... however, I had no idea I would be able to afford one frankly... I had driven my brothers L-Tuned GS430 and totally fell in love with the car... it was the closest thing I had driven that felt like my vette with 4 doors. This was in 2002... I had forgotten just how old this model was and that I could pick up a 98-99 for a reasonable price. So I started looking... and I was a little worried about the high miles but had many people tell me just how many miles that can be put on these cars... and considering it is just my fun weekend car I thought, OK... give it a chance.

I drove a 2nd owner GS, the one I now own, and was shocked at how strong and tight it was at 80K miles. My vette that I bought brand new at 70K had turned into a complete gas hungry hog and ran and felt like dirt... Sorry, I love Vettes and have owned more than a couple but it's true... of all American cars unfortunately...

Needless to say I ended up with the GS and had no idea the amount of aftermarket support that is out there for this car.

I have milled over buying a 3rd vehicle (probably the WRX) to mod and take to the strip but after talking to another member here realized that it really isn't what I want to do. What I really want is to be able to get my GS into low 13 1/4's or high 12's easily... I can do it in so many other vehicles but none are as beautiful, solid, or unique as the GS4. Of course it is more expensive in the GS but as long as the mod would be safe and easy to install (like kits with fuel maps already out there like the WRX) a 100HP increase at the wheels would be enough for me just to have something fun at the track while still be unique and "mature"... to own.

Get the kit out the door and ready to go for 5K with a fuel map/s that work and I think more people than expected would pick these up. Throw in fuel maps for economy too for when you go on trips and the kit could become a no brainer.

The question is can someone actually figure out how to control the 4.0 engine with VVti so that mods work like they are supposed to... I am still sceptical on this point.

I really don't want to own 3 vehicles to have something to toy with performance wise, but I have about decided to take that 5K and buy a used eclipse gst or 240sx to play with since I don't think there will ever be a 5K FI solution for the GS4.

Then I would have the SUV, the Luxury car, and my toy... just hate paying for insurance on 3 cars when I will barely be driving 2 of them...

Last edited by CinFulxgs; 06-21-05 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-21-05, 03:17 PM
daleer
Pole Position

I vote GS430.
Personally I think if someone figures out how to get an extra 100hp to the wheels RELIABLY and for under $4000, they'll make a ton of money. Over $5000 and I think the number of bites will be very low regardless of what people say - especially if reliability is perceived to be an issue at all.

I think lexforlife's post was excellent and really hit the nail on the head . The majoriity of the active posters on this forum are real enthusiasts who I think tend to be more mod-crazy and higher risk takers than the majority of lexus owners. For the silent majority I think - the decision to purchase a Lexus has a lot to do with Lexus quality and reliability. We want a car that can be driven for 200k miles with nothing other than routine maintainence. I think for any SC to be very profitable it will have to be designed with this in mind as well as be economical enough to attract a higher percentage of Lexus owners and not just the modding bad-boys. I agree that horsepower gains wouldn't and shouldn't be huge - 100hp would perk my interest plenty.
Old 06-21-05, 03:33 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by daleer
Personally I think if someone figures out how to get an extra 100hp to the wheels RELIABLY and for under $4000, they'll make a ton of money. Over $5000 and I think the number of bites will be very low regardless of what people say - especially if reliability is perceived to be an issue at all.
This I'd like to see. I doubt it can happen though. Even for $5k, I have doubts. I am not saying 100hp is not possible. Doing so at that cost and be Lexus reliable? I will be the first to tip my hat to LMW (or anyone) if it comes out.
Old 06-21-05, 03:51 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
This I'd like to see. I doubt it can happen though. Even for $5k, I have doubts. I am not saying 100hp is not possible. Doing so at that cost and be Lexus reliable? I will be the first to tip my hat to LMW (or anyone) if it comes out.

chris i think it is very possible to do this in the range of 4500-5k complete

esp if they use the better self contained procharger which is a proven better and cheaper unit then the vortec unit

i priced a procharger unit for arounf 1700 and with this you dont need a oil line or to tap the pan or oil sending unit area , a intercooler can be made for around 350-400 (remember does not need to be huge for only running 5-6lbs boost) then hump hose brackets and misc hardeware injectors and a emange unit or similar

remember lms would buy in bulk to some extent whereby commanding a lower price

rmm marked up their units just like they do with their so called big brakes (suprtt rebadged)

it is very possible depending on what kind of margin they want to work on but is doable
Old 06-21-05, 04:31 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

>>Your original post to which I responded to ("tongue in cheek" aka sarcasm):

"Lexus has not made a 400 since 2000. Everyone with a 400 has AT LEAST 75,000 miles on there engine. Why would LMS make a supercharger for an old car with alot of miles on it. I am not saying anything bad about you 400 owners. Its a beautiful car (heck, its a lexus). I am just saying it would be better to manufacture one for a more recent car. If you can not afford 6,000 + you should not even vote (just my opinion)."

>>My response was to let you know that:

1. Not "everyone with a 400 has AT LEAST 75,00 miles on their engine".

And, since you asked:
2. Yes, I live in So. Cal., I actually do "get out" a lot (no need to be sorry), what I do all day is none of your business, since you voiced your opinion you won't mind if others do the same, right?.
3. Your assumption that I "don't even drive" my car is incorrect. I average about 20k per year on each of my two vehicles. My car had less than 1k miles on it when I purchased it *slightly* used in Nov. of '03.
4. Sorry that you evidently got your feathers ruffled by my previous response. No offense intended (if I intend to be offensive, there would be no doubt )

Back to topic: I would strongly consider the S/C for my car depending on the final result, but based on their previous efforts it looks promising...

Last edited by FutureGS400; 06-21-05 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Luxury Motorworks / LMS Supercharger Setup for the GS 400 or GS430. You decide!