GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

why are chrome wheels so expensive

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-01, 02:20 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been troubled by these questions

why are big fat chrome wheels so expensive?

why are dubz so popular?

why would someone spend 1000+ for a piece of wheel that probably doesn't worth that much?

why would anyone wanna spend so much money on some wheels that probably costs 200 dollars to make?

i'm sick and tired of seeing all those companies charing so much money for something that dont' worth that much.

it could be that people still buy them for some reason, too much money in the pockets I assume.

2am and too much starbucks. I need to vent.
Old 06-26-01, 03:51 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Come on Globe, you can't answer these questions yourself!? I know you already have the answers...

Well, in case you care, here's mine...

1) Why are big fat chrome wheels so expensive - Well, chroming does cost extra, but I think vendors (like Lexus dealerships!) like to make an additional profit on the chroming process...some rim manufactures only charge like $80/wheel more for chrome which isn't bad...

2) Dubz are popular thanks to rap music. No doubt about it. If rappers didn't rap about it, no one would know...but they make SUCH a big deal about it, now every wants it (even if they own some broken *** Sentra). I personally picked "dubz" because I think 20's fit the GS better than 19's or smaller. I would NOT do 21's because I think they're too big visually. But if I found a 19" rim that I REALLY like more than any other 20", I would have done the 19". 18", no way...too small for the GS...but some 18" Andrew Racing rims on a IS300...

3) Because people think that chrome Giovannas are actually worth that much. Why do people pay $800 for a Chanel purse that cost $40 to manufacture. Why do people pay $120 for Diesel jeans? Some people are willing to pay for a look or brand even if the actually cost is close to nothing...

I agree with you on the companies charging so much for stuff...but if there's a market, it's hard to argue. What I REALLY hate are companies that make money off other people's work. That is NOT right. This is one of the main reason why I hate knock-off ****...

3:51AM and too much RedBull...ok, I'm going to bed!
Old 06-26-01, 07:07 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do people pay $800 for a Chanel purse that cost $40 to manufacture.

Manaray, how much did you pay for your Chanel purse??
Old 06-26-01, 10:03 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first thing first,

i am sure manaray would get the real CHANEL w/his world wide connection at wholesale prices

globe, let me add on a few more points:

i do believe as M said, it is the market demand that drive up the prices on all these items, especially chrome dubs. if you were to look at the wheel ads in jap mags, chromes do cost extra, but not that MUCH more in japan. ie, chrome LD1 in 18s only costs ~$120 more/set.

but in US, there are more people want chrome wheels, hence the inflated the price. everytime whne i walk into a store, the guy always ask me : do you want chromes? it is like getting fries and coke for your burger.

as consumer products travel thru channels of distributiuon, each middleman is their for a piece of profit. ie, tyrerack buys wheel at $100-150 each, then sell them at $300-350. i have seen the actual shipping invoice to tyrerack. another ie, a "designer" t-shirt costs $2 to make, but retails at $10-20. you see what i mean now? that is why i buy my cloth at discount store, and we are here-to get the best prices possible on the goodies we really want.

will
Old 06-26-01, 11:38 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Zuswha - I only paid $50 for my Chanel purse.

GS4Will - Man, It's all about the HOOK UP!

Genearch - From what I've heard, the SC430 with runflats aren't exactly the smoothest riding cars on planet. I wouldn't worry about getting a flat, afterall, that's what Lexus Roadside Assistance is for! 19's or 20's should look good on the SC...well I know 20's look fine because I've seen a couple of SC430's with 20's already...they just needed to be lowered...

Old 06-26-01, 12:33 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

ok guys.

Yah my comments are pretty much what all of you mentioned. Just need to hear some advices from other experts so I don't sound like a whining dog.