GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How much is Factory paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-05, 11:22 AM
Gs L-tune
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is Factory paint job?

My baby got keyed at school today. I was wondering how much is the factory paint job gonna cost? Anyone paint they car at the dealer before?
Old 06-20-05, 12:12 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man,

There is no need to go to the dealer to get it done - as most dealers don't do their own bodywork and send the car out to a shop anyway.

Call your Lexus dealership and ask them where they send their cars.

Alternatively any decent body shop can do the work just as well as Lexus.

Jonny
Old 06-20-05, 01:20 PM
suge66
Pole Position

He's right, i'm taking mine to a local paint shop and the cost it 1200 for the whole car including the kit. Just to help you out with prices. Same color though..Different color was 3k.
Old 06-20-05, 01:44 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by suge66
He's right, i'm taking mine to a local paint shop and the cost it 1200 for the whole car including the kit. Just to help you out with prices. Same color though..Different color was 3k.
Wow..that's a crazy price, do you know the bodyshop? I got my kit painted and it costs more than 1200 just for the kit.

Not sure if it's true for all colors and model, but for mine (pearl white), it's a 3 stage process. You have the base coat, pearl and the clear coat.

Just remember that you also get what you pay for. I think the average is around $3-5K at least here in Cali. It's better to get it done right the first time than have to go back and do it again. I learned that the hard way.
Old 06-20-05, 01:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah there is no need to go back to dealership fors ure, there is no "factory paint job" coz' they will not send your car back to japan.

just go to a good body shop and ask them to match the color
Old 06-20-05, 05:42 PM
QuikLex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by r00kie
Wow..that's a crazy price, do you know the bodyshop? I got my kit painted and it costs more than 1200 just for the kit.

Not sure if it's true for all colors and model, but for mine (pearl white), it's a 3 stage process. You have the base coat, pearl and the clear coat.

Just remember that you also get what you pay for. I think the average is around $3-5K at least here in Cali. It's better to get it done right the first time than have to go back and do it again. I learned that the hard way.
I agree...I paid over $1100 for the entire kit NOT including the rear bumper. I figure a good paint job (atleast around here) cost around $3000 for the same color. You can get it for less, but watch the quality...
Old 06-20-05, 06:33 PM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

Cool

My thoughts are the same as everyone else. No need to go to the dealer. Just find your self a reputable shop with a good track record.

Oh yeah, make sure you get the warranty in writing and that you are o.k. with the terms before you do anything. Just to be on the safe side.
Old 06-20-05, 06:55 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm guessing he's just goning to get a layer of paint and clearcoat? still a pretty good price
Old 06-20-05, 07:58 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like its been said, most dealers dont do their own work, they sub it out......and the dealers that do, dont usually have the best painters that are available. Shop around, ask around, and check out their work before doing anything.....I cant emphasize that last part enough.....check their work, they will have cars in their shop that have just been painted.

A "good" paint job, good to me meaning excellent work, will vary by what your doing.

Same color.....$2000 - $3000 grand
color change...$3000-$5000 grand
custom work such as house of color paint jobs.....$5000 and up....I was quoted 8 to 10k by one of the house of color calander shops for the GS...ouch!!!

SUge66....if your paying $1200 for an all over, somethings wrong, go get some more quotes....you will soon see that its impossible to get that kind of price anywhere else....which in itself should make you go hmmmmmm!
Old 06-20-05, 10:49 PM
Gs L-tune
Lead Lap

thank guys i really want to keep my factory color and i did called the dealer. you're right they going to send my car out to some body shop to do it. I was going to pay my pocket money but i guess i just let my cousin do it. He going to charge my insurance by the way any of you do this thru insurance before because i don't want my insurance go up. My cousing gonna charge me like $5000 for the paint job. please give me more info thank you
Old 06-20-05, 10:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Gs L-tune
thank guys i really want to keep my factory color and i did called the dealer. you're right they going to send my car out to some body shop to do it. I was going to pay my pocket money but i guess i just let my cousin do it. He going to charge my insurance by the way any of you do this thru insurance before because i don't want my insurance go up. My cousing gonna charge me like $5000 for the paint job. please give me more info thank you
5k for the paint job? i think your cousin is just trying to live off your insurance company
Old 06-20-05, 10:55 PM
Gs L-tune
Lead Lap

hahaha trust me his paint job is worth the money. I'm gonna go all out if i go thru insurance. He gonna take out everything and paint it ( inside out) i'm thinking some sick azz red. what you guys think should i give up my silver for red or repaint silver?
Old 06-21-05, 01:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Gs L-tune
hahaha trust me his paint job is worth the money. I'm gonna go all out if i go thru insurance. He gonna take out everything and paint it ( inside out) i'm thinking some sick azz red. what you guys think should i give up my silver for red or repaint silver?

oh so he's going to take everything apart and paint them, now that's different. does that mean he will clear out your engine bay and paint the inside of the engine bay to match color too? he should. same with door jam etc... i guess. now that's worth the money
Old 06-21-05, 03:47 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dam sorry about your car yea it's going to be a pretty penny to re-paint your car not to mention all the work to fix all the key scratches don't forget about that when they quote you a price it's not just a scuff and shoot there's a lot of body work involved to fill all the key marks
Old 06-21-05, 02:38 PM
Gs L-tune
Lead Lap

I know key marks is pain in the ***. wat is wrong with people out there. Anyhow i guess i have to go thru my insurance because i got the quote from Lexus dealer today. Fix all the scratches and paint doors jam and take everything out is little over $7500 yes my eyes did popped out when i heard that. hahah I guess my cousin going to do it for 5000 and i keep the 2500 lol. Anyway wat color should i paint it if i repaint? Right now i have two colors in mind. Either same silver or RED. RED on black what you guys think?

Quick Reply: How much is Factory paint job?