GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Opinion needed -- painting bumpers tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-05, 06:14 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Opinion needed -- painting bumpers tomorrow

Hey guys. My GS is scheduled to go in to Carnica (a local shop) tomorrow to have the bumpers refinished. They charge $150 per bumper, which includes sanding, filling (if necessary), primer, paint and clear coat. I've heard nothing but positive things about this place. I have a close friend who has had his 645i, CLK 430 and S500 done there and raves about the results (as has another CL member in the area). I called over there to talk to one of the managers, and he was very helpful and answered all of my questions. The manager claimed that the only difference between what they do and higher priced body shops is that they do not remove the bumpers from the car to do the work (and he ensured me that overspray is never an issue). Is there any downside to not removing the bumpers? Do you think that I will be able to see where the paint line stops if they aren't able to get in the seams where the bumper meets up with the car? I know I have people with first-hand experience telling me that I won't be able to tell the bumpers were painted, but I'm just an eternal pessimist. What do you guys think? Here's a link to the web site:

www.carnicainc.com

e-man
Old 06-20-05, 06:27 PM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

If your friends all had these hi-line vehicles worked there and they have no complaints, then by all means go for it.

I personally would rather have them remove the bumpers and would probably ask how much more it would cost to have the bumpers remove. If the differance is not that much more, then I would have them do it just so I feel better about the job they will do.

Good Luck
Old 06-20-05, 07:34 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would have them removed without a doubt! You can probably get away with painting them up to the molding strip (which Im sure thats what they will do), but to me its ghetto.

A good body shop will most likely want to blend with the other panels, and usually dont charge a per bumper rate. But hey, if your buddy liked it, look at his car and see what you think...than make your decision from there.
Old 06-20-05, 07:43 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good body shop will remove everything that would otherwise have to be taped off such as fog lights, make sure they plan on doing this because tape creates paint lines, also a good time to replace the chrome trim on your bumpers, good luck.
Old 06-20-05, 09:06 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Thanks guys. I think what I'll do is go there tomorrow to check the place out, get an estimate in person, and then, assuming everything checks out, schedule an appointment for sometime next week. One other complicating factor is that my car needs to go in for its 60k, and the mechanic that normally works on my car is out this week. My Lexus dealership is notorious (at least in my mind) for bumping cars around, and the last thing I need is to bring my car in there with fresh paint on the bumpers. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

e
Old 06-20-05, 09:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

tturbopimp has high standard on things, so he knows what he's talking about

take it off the car for repaint for sure. there is no way they can do a good job on painting if the bumper is on the car. NO WAY
Old 06-21-05, 04:11 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E-Man let me know what you thin of there work I would like to see it when finished
Old 06-21-05, 07:46 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

I do have high standards on this stuff, plus I have a ton of experience with getting cars painted. I have had 4 cars completely re-done from the bottom up, and countless numbers of kits painted....3 on the old GS, and thats just one of my past cars. I have a personal realtionship with my body shop owner, and have learned alot about this stuff int he past 5 or 6 years. I would like to think Im more up to speed than most non body shop people in this category.

Just to give an example, when I had my cars color changed, they removed everything, and I mean everything.....including all body parts, all glass, all moldings, the cars looked like shells before the process started.....but they looked perfect when completed.
Old 06-21-05, 08:07 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
Just to give an example, when I had my cars color changed, they removed everything, and I mean everything.....including all body parts, all glass, all moldings, the cars looked like shells before the process started.....but they looked perfect when completed.

what about the motor compartment? they took all that apart too? just curious, how much for a job like that?
Old 06-21-05, 08:08 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
I do have high standards on this stuff, plus I have a ton of experience with getting cars painted. I have had 4 cars completely re-done from the bottom up, and countless numbers of kits painted....3 on the old GS, and thats just one of my past cars. I have a personal realtionship with my body shop owner, and have learned alot about this stuff int he past 5 or 6 years. I would like to think Im more up to speed than most non body shop people in this category.

I definitely hear what you're saying. I went over to the shop today to check it out, and witnessed first hand that they were working almost exclusively on newer model Mercedes, BMWs and Lexus. Not that that means anything, but at least it shows that they've established a reputation in the area and people are willing to allow them to work on their higher priced cars. Moreover, they have 20+ mobile units and many of the car dealerships in the area use them. I think I might give them a shot, at least with respect to the rear bumper. Sure, it would be better if they took the bumper off completely, there's no arguing that. But, the truth is that I just can't see spending $750 or more to refinish my bumper when I know that the same darn thing is going to happen again in the future. People are just so inconsiderate, and many feel that bumpers are made for just that, bumping. I know it's a screwed up way of thinking, but it's reality. I guess the worst thing that happens is that they do a sub-par job and I've wasted $150. For what it's worth, they warranty their work for 1 year. I think it might be worth a shot.
Old 06-21-05, 08:15 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$150 a bumper and a year warranty, how can you go wrong? sounds good to me.
Old 06-21-05, 11:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
what about the motor compartment? they took all that apart too? just curious, how much for a job like that?
i don't know how much, but it's going to be super expensive for sure

and yup, if done right, you take out eveything inside the engine bay too
Old 06-23-05, 09:09 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what if YOU take your own bumper off and send/bring it to them is it more or the same price because if i could still pay $150 and take my own bumper that would be good. I need my bumper painted and i wonder if removing it myself would save me some dough?????

Kia~
Old 06-23-05, 09:17 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

So what if YOU take your own bumper off and send/bring it to them is it more or the same price because if i could still pay $150 and take my own bumper that would be good. I need my bumper painted and i wonder if removing it myself would save me some dough?????
Good point!!
Old 06-23-05, 09:46 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexus-Kia

Kia~
remember the trouble you had with your rear seat removal

x1000 for the front bumper the first time you take off and put on

but good lcuk if you decide to do it