GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone have TEIN coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-01, 12:28 PM
SpectraGS3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How soft can they be set to? How close to say L-tuned can you make them. I like that they are adjustable but everyone says they are harsh on the street. Since they are adjustable with 21 rebound settings, I'd assume that they can be set to ride smoothly on the street and made stiffer for when you need them, right?

They seem great, my dealer want's 1200 to put the L-tuned ones on and keep the suspension warranty but what else is there to the suspension to be covered by warranty? If the shocks or springs go bad, you replace them, what else would break?

I can get the Tein's for like 1300 and have them installed for like 350 so I'd rather spend the extra 450 if they can be set to ride nicely on the street as opposed to a H&R spring/Bilstein shock setup which you are stuck with the way they are.
Old 06-26-01, 12:41 PM
RacingAristo

I could get TEIN HA for less than $1200 shipped.
Old 06-26-01, 12:46 PM
SpectraGS3
Driver

How about the TEIN CS? How much can you get those for, those were the ones I was interested in.
Old 06-26-01, 03:22 PM
RacingAristo

$1500 shipped for TEIN CS.
Old 06-26-01, 03:34 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RA,

are you referring to shin-kai? have you actually bought things from them? how was you experience?
manaray was going to publish his thoughts about them, and i would like to know too.

william
Old 06-26-01, 06:49 PM
Aristov3o0
Pole Position

Default Racing aristo

where are you getting tein cs for that cheap??

Old 07-09-01, 10:44 PM
kodai
Driver

I have had both the HA system and the CS system. By far the CS system is more fitting for the Lexus GS. This is only my opion. I like the ride on the CS system. I also have 19 inch wheels and tires. The CS system helps alot.
Old 07-11-01, 07:05 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Will, sorry I never posted that think about Shin-Kai but here's what I've written...

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
As some of you may know, I replied to a post for their 20' container deal...I basically stated that on some items, their deal wasn't that great...I posted an example, and Dale (not Dayle!) said that he would do 15% off retail which was better than what the official importer was selling it for)...I said great...so I email him with the kit I wanted (AutoCouture) and he quote me a price that was HIGHER than full retail (after a current JPY to USD conversion). After I questioned him about it, he said that I should get my kit from someone else!

Granted, a business is welcome to make whatever they want on an item, but on the flip-side, a consumer is welcome to shop around for the best price....like I said before, caveat emptor!

Basically my opinion their "deal" is that he wants to make a killing. He says he doesn't but I don't buy it! The guy owns a shop in Japan, so he's getting full dealer wholesale on products.

Here some news....EVERY shop in Japan discounts...I'm looking at ad from a Japanese store that gives 40% off Wald body kits, 28% off Evolution kits, etc...this same store charge only US$2,522 for a set of STAGGERED 19" Weds Kranze ERM wheels (in silver) WITH TIRES (P-Zeros)...19x8.5 in front, 19x9.5 in rear with 245/35 and 275/35.

Of course, you have to consider shipping...when you ship one or two items, it's expensive...but when you ship a TEU (20' container), the price drops DRAMATICALLY. It costs anywhere from $1200 and up to ship a TEU from Japan. You can roughly ship around 146 SETS of 18"x9" rims (4 rims/set) per TEU (in a 19" x 19" x 10" box)...now lets say that all shipping costs ends up costing $5000/TEU (seriously over estimating)...that works out to only $137 shipping PER SET (4 rims/set).

Let's do a quick pricing example...say the Wald Duchatelet II wheel in 18" (8" fronts and 9" rears...in silver)...I'm using this rim because I have the retail price and the "store" prices handy...

Retail price = $1562.25/set with no tires...a store in Japan is selling the same wheels for $982.43/set...now let's say that the store is making a 3% profit (of retail price) on that, which = $46.87...ok, now let's add the shipping cost to the "discounted" price of the rims ($982.43)...total = $1119.43. Shin-Kai wants to charge you $442.82 MORE per SET of rims on top of the $46.87 they're already making...so that works out to $489.69/set rims PROFIT. For $400, you can get a set of rims AIR SHIPPED to you in a few days instead of MONTHS...WHERE'S THE BENEFIT?

Now how much PROFIT is that per TEU? Just a mere $71494.74! No wonder they want to fill up a TEU! I'd rather have them CHARGE me shipping and give me their "in-store" price!

I think that's GOUGING. Since they're working with SLOW BOAT CONTAINER shipments rather and individual air shipments...they should get the shipping savings passed on to them (since they have to wait for the container to not only get filled up, but then it ships via a SLOW boat!) ...and they should get the price savings because Shin-Kai is working on a wholesale level (most importers just buy from a store so they do NOT get wholesale prices!). Even if Shin-Kai sold the rims for $1327.91/set (that's 15% off retail), they would still make $392.35 profit PER SET of rims (that's $57,283.10 per TEU container). But they want to charge FULL retail on everything...

Not only that, he questioned my use of current exhange rates! Looks like he wants to make money on the exchange rate too!

Personal option - Buyers can do MUCH better than what Shin-Kai is offering!
Old 07-11-01, 07:56 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Manaray - Thanks for the detailed info! I was quoted like 2,900 for the Weds in the 20" staggered set-up with the platinum finsih and the price for the 19" was pretty much the same as you stated. I am planning on going with these wheels. Do you know another place that could beat GT autosports price? OrShin-Kai?
Old 07-11-01, 10:15 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb my kind of thoughts

Manaray,

do you remember one of our PMs a while back? the example you gave was exactly what i had in mind. only that my math is a little simpler.

as you said, stores/business need to make $$$ to survive, but knowing the fact that the whole sale price are ~35-50 % of the listed retail prices, selling at full retail menas reaping in HUGH profit.

shipping and custom duty? when it comes to a 20' container, the cost is minimal. anything auto related is only being taxed at a mere 1.5-2%.

did you read the ads from Pirelli World? i think they have the best body kit prices, and may be wheels. Fuji Corporation is good also.

Old 07-11-01, 11:47 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Will - Yes, I remember the PM's from awhile back...the word "rip off" comes to mind...

Can you post the info regarding the Pirelli World and Fuji info...?

MikeGS4PE - Just on PRINCIPLE I would not order from Shin-Kai unless he's going to do a Club Lexus discount. Why the hell should we give him OUR business when he's not going to work with us?

I would check the prices before I buy...don't believe Dale when he says "it's a good deal!"

Is that $2900 price including tires? The 19" Kranze price I gave INCLUDES Pirelli P-Zero tires...
Old 07-12-01, 12:17 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Manaray,

oh, i was just referring your posts on the discounts for the body kits, and agreeing w/you on the discount %. i think we saw the same ads. that is all. unless you have any other qs?

mike/manaray,

in japan, there are simply tons of wheels to choose from. and car dudes tastes are a little different from us. this is especially when it comes to wheels choice. of course the popular ones from HART/volk wheels are well regarded in both countries. therefore, the prices does not differ that much after you add the air freight($300/set of 4 wheels).

but when it comes to wheels that are not so popular in japan, and have been out in the market for a while, the discount is amazing. for example, on some of the WEDS and Work wheels that i like(kranze Shoki, some of the Eurolines) , last time i talked to this guy at FUJI corp, he quoted me ~35-42% off retail prices in japan.

in general, david's price here in US is reasonable. but the fact that we cannot reach him whenever we want is a drawback. the price he gave Tinygs on the 20s Work Equips is OK, considering the shipping and other hassles, and the EQUIPS are 3-pcs forged wheels. but what is important is david is able to get them, not some empty promises.

william
Old 07-12-01, 03:57 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Will - Oh...ok, I thought you found some new importers!

Will, you're absolutely right about the discounting and Dave...Dave is a really cool guy but he needs to hire some more people. I tried to get a hold of him but no go...if someone does get a hold of him, can you ask two questions for me...

How much for the AutoCouture v2 kit for the GS and how much for a Wise Sports kit...thanks!
Old 07-12-01, 04:49 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Manaray - I was quoted the following without tires:
19" 8.5/10
$2494.00 silver
$2644.00 chrome
$2564.00 platinum
20" 8.5/10
$2678.00 silver
$2828.00 chrome
$2748.00 platinum

If you know a place where I can get these cheaper, please let me know. I really like all the finishes, but I am need some opinions on them for my '00 silver gs4.

Also, with coilovers, does it sound feasible to have 19s in the front and 20s in the rear?

David seems to always respond to me so I will ask him how much those kits are, no worries...

Old 07-12-01, 07:31 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Default HERE MANARAY...WHAT DID I TELL YOU...:)

Hi Mike, is this for adidas Mike in LA? Tell him I haven't forgot about him. We're still waiting on new Wise prices, they're going to be lower then before, the Auto Couture VS FB/SS/RB is $2497.00.

Quick Reply: Anyone have TEIN coilovers?