GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Acura TL Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-01 | 11:43 AM
GSPOWER
Driver

My friend has a new TL typeS with Nav, and he paid less than 35k out the door for it! Bottom line, TL-S is A LOT of car for the money. It would be hard to find a better equipped car in that price range.
Old 06-27-01 | 11:49 AM
nycvr6
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by GSPOWER
My friend has a new TL typeS with Nav, and he paid less than 35k out the door for it! Bottom line, TL-S is A LOT of car for the money. It would be hard to find a better equipped car in that price range.
Thank you!!! That is the whole point i have been trying to get across here..
Old 06-27-01 | 11:54 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by nycvr6

You are very insecure about your car...I never said that a TL-S can be compared to a GS..I just feel that you came down on the TL-S a lil too hard in your first post..You guys are talking about performance with your ****ty handling, poor braking, semi-decent accelerating 400's...For 300+ hp, i feel they are rather weak...I drive a piece of **** 97 GTI VR6 which shares like 90% of its parts with the golf...I got the car for around 20k and invested less than 10k into it...This car will hand a GS4 its *** in the straights, in the turns, and heck ill smoke a gs in reverse...GS's only look good bone stock or properly modded, not with bootleg small 18 "look alike" rims..If you have a "LEXUS" why didnt you spend the money and get some decent "real" rims...Lexus makes very nice cars, but you guys talk like they are equivalent with MB's, and c'mon who you kidding, a S500 is in a totally different class...I know exactly what i payed for when i got my TL-S and i am very pleased, and remember, I NEVER said the TL-S can be compared to a GS, because I know it cant..Your ignorant post just made this whole board look bad,,...Maybe you should go to club si or something...

NYCVR6, hey just curious, you don't think the LS430 is in the same class as the S500?? Alot of magazine's and ppl put the LS in the category with the S500's. The LS has almost/if not more features compared to the S500. I dunno too much about that car but from what I read it gives the S500 a run for its money.

IMHO, lexus's are in the same level as MB's and BMW's. GS = same class as E-CLASS/5- SERIES. LS430 = same class as S500/7-series. I just want your opinion on how S500's are "totally" in a different class than lexus's. What possible mechanical/options/luxury finepoints does MB have that Lexus's doesn't have?

peace man.

Last edited by D-MAN63; 06-27-01 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-27-01 | 12:06 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

to a certain extent, i do agree that tl-s is fairly good value for the money one spends.

but the subject of lex v.mb....esp. the s500, have you seen the actual number of DEFECTERS from both beemer and mb? 60-70% of people whom i know over the years drove nothing but mbs. but they all own lex now. they knew how BAD/GOOD the mbs are, why would they jump ship? did they just became smarter?

you are right, s500 is in a class by itself: a $90k car w/one of the worst navigation units on the planet. and did i mentioned that i know 2 01+00 s500s already have blown gaskets and leaky coolant resovoir?

please do not associate our lex w/mb- at least mine are more reliable.
Old 06-27-01 | 12:23 PM
nycvr6
Driver School Candidate

LS430 is complete plageurism of the S500...They can be compared because Lexus copied MB..I have driven both s500's and gs4's, and there is absolutely no comparison between the two..MB takes the cake in almost every category..I am glad you guys are very happy with your gs's, but my first impression of the car, i dont think it is worth near the price they ask, the brakes ar TERRIBLE..Brand new brakes feel like they are grinding, and have poor stopping ability..
Old 06-27-01 | 12:26 PM
disc108
Lead Lap

You are very insecure about your car...I never said that a TL-S can be compared to a GS..I just feel that you came down on the TL-S a lil too hard in your first post..You guys are talking about performance with your ****ty handling, poor braking, semi-decent accelerating 400's...For 300+ hp, i feel they are rather weak...I drive a piece of **** 97 GTI VR6 which shares like 90% of its parts with the golf...I got the car for around 20k and invested less than 10k into it...This car will hand a GS4 its *** in the straights, in the turns, and heck ill smoke a gs in reverse...GS's only look good bone stock or properly modded, not with bootleg small 18 "look alike" rims..If you have a "LEXUS" why didnt you spend the money and get some decent "real" rims...Lexus makes very nice cars, but you guys talk like they are equivalent with MB's, and c'mon who you kidding, a S500 is in a totally different class...I know exactly what i payed for when i got my TL-S and i am very pleased, and remember, I NEVER said the TL-S can be compared to a GS, because I know it cant..Your ignorant post just made this whole board look bad,,...Maybe you should go to club si or something...
I don't know where you get your facts but as for ****ty braking, semi-decent acceleration, and Lexus vs. MB, you are mistaken.

First of all, the GS has the shortest stopping distance in its class and stops "just a handful of feet shorter than a Z06." Secondly, with it's semi-decent acceleration, I'd like to know what else in the 55K range would give a GS4 a run for its money. Thirdly, Lexus vs. MB... I hope you're kidding because there is really no comparison here... LEXUS IS BETTER (in terms of reliability & value). as for the new S500, they have a *****load of problems and a fully loaded LS430 costs about the same as a base S430! AND THE LS430 IS FASTER, QUIETER, AND RIDES BETTER! Also, MB's service people suck! (JUST LIKE TUSTIN LEXUS'!)

Before, we were comparing overall and used performance as an example. Sure your POS VR6 might hand me my *** in the curves and even in the straightaways, but if I really wanted all performance, i would have got a C5 instead. as stated before, sure a lot of cars are cheaper and go faster, but can they carry u around in such luxury and make people say "you drive my dream car?"

To everybody w/a GS400: YOU DRIVE MY DREAM CAR!!!
Old 06-27-01 | 12:30 PM
nycvr6
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
nycvr6 I said this is not @#$%^& personall, why are u doing this to yourself????? If I can afford a Gs 400 I am pretty sure I can afford some decent rims u idiot, but me and my ClubLexus brothers had a great conversation about my reasons a while back. I have no intention of explaining anything to your behind.

So I'm insecure about my car if I think the TL is overrated, u gotta be kidding me.

You are correct when u say u drive a piece of ***** and who would I be to argue with that.

Lexus Changed the game dude, not acura or any other jabronie. Let's see "Lexus Like", optitron, electuluminicent lighting, double hindged doors, one of the most beautiful cars ever made the 1st gen SC please do not let me go down the list.

When the hell has Acura made the cover of any auto magazine, all 100 of em, that's beacause they are a 2nd tier luxo company.

I strongly suggest you keep the insults to yourself bub...
Once again i will repeat myself, i am not comparing lexus to acura, i understand that lexus puts out better quality...Plus, whats up with the name calling...For someone with a "LEXUS" you sure act like a two year old..About affording a lexus...C'mon who cant finance one? haha..Give me a break..Im saving my coins for a car worth the money, M3 or possibly an M5...Im not gonna stoop to your "LEXUS" level of name calling...Have a good day buddy..
Old 06-27-01 | 12:38 PM
nycvr6
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by disc108

I don't know where you get your facts but as for ****ty braking, semi-decent acceleration, and Lexus vs. MB, you are mistaken.

First of all, the GS has the shortest stopping distance in its class and stops "just a handful of feet shorter than a Z06." Secondly, with it's semi-decent acceleration, I'd like to know what else in the 55K range would give a GS4 a run for its money. Thirdly, Lexus vs. MB... I hope you're kidding because there is really no comparison here... LEXUS IS BETTER (in terms of reliability & value). as for the new S500, they have a *****load of problems and a fully loaded LS430 costs about the same as a base S430! AND THE LS430 IS FASTER, QUIETER, AND RIDES BETTER! Also, MB's service people suck! (JUST LIKE TUSTIN LEXUS'!)

Before, we were comparing overall and used performance as an example. Sure your POS VR6 might hand me my *** in the curves and even in the straightaways, but if I really wanted all performance, i would have got a C5 instead. as stated before, sure a lot of cars are cheaper and go faster, but can they carry u around in such luxury and make people say "you drive my dream car?"

To everybody w/a GS400: YOU DRIVE MY DREAM CAR!!!
C5...hahaha...my pos vw will also smoke a c5...12.2@115mph...Want timeslips? I actually had the chance of running one of your guys car, i think it is Moe's GS4 SC'd...I eliminated him from round one brackets at E-Town..Now that is a BEAUTIFUL car..Not like 1sicklex's bootleg joint...I would rather have a stock gs than that cheesy thing..You guys make me laugh...I dont "read" about stats..I live them..I drove a gs4 from florida to ny, and the braking sux..period..
I also feel the ls430 looks like ***...but thats just my opinion...Lexus better than MB, hahahahahahahaha, you guys are kidding yourselves..
Old 06-27-01 | 12:43 PM
nycvr6
Driver School Candidate

OK OK...Listen guys, i have said many stupid things in here out of anger..I apologize for anything that may have offended anyone...I just want to end off by saying something...You guys got me all wrong, i am completely in love with the cars you guys drive, besides my best friend having one, that is the major reason i joined this forum...This forum does handle itself so much better than other forums i belong to..I hope you guys can accept my apology, because i would like to be in good standings in this forum...
Old 06-27-01 | 12:45 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

just some test numbers from the guys at MOTORTREND:

GS400($52k):

0-60mph 5.9 sec
60-0 119 ft
skid 0.83 g

S500 ($85-90k)
6.1 sec
119 ft
0.76G

i do not know how these guys test drive their cars, but since they do this for a living, i am just going to take their words/numbers as is.
Old 06-27-01 | 12:46 PM
disc108
Lead Lap

C5...hahaha...my pos vw will also smoke a c5...12.2@115mph...Want timeslips? I actually had the chance of running one of your guys car, i think it is Moe's GS4 SC'd...I eliminated him from round one brackets at E-Town..Now that is a BEAUTIFUL car..Not like 1sicklex's bootleg joint...I would rather have a stock gs than that cheesy thing..You guys make me laugh...I dont "read" about stats..I live them..I drove a gs4 from florida to ny, and the braking sux..period..
I also feel the ls430 looks like ***...but thats just my opinion...Lexus better than MB, hahahahahahahaha, you guys are kidding yourselves..
no thanks, dont want timeslips. as for the C5, it was to show that its not ALL about performance. you're really taking everything WAAAAYYYY too personally. why dont u go get urself a beer or something.

as for living the stats. the magazine people LIVE them (TEST them), in order to get #'s. and you know full well that just because it FEELS ****ty, doesnt necessarily mean it is. you cant go by feelings alone. my car feels like it pulls a pitiful .5 g's on the skidpad but after i slapped on g-tech pro, it pulled a LITTLE bit more.

added: no problem, nycvr6... sometimes cool discussions can get a little hot. 1sicklex lit a match again, didnt he! bastard!!!! j/k

Last edited by disc108; 06-27-01 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-27-01 | 12:51 PM
nycvr6
Driver School Candidate

Im drunk already, cant you guys tell? I have already posted an apology, I do not want to continue this thread, it was tired a long time ago...Sorry for being an *** guys, but, i love all cars, i have my go fast fwd pos, and my relax around town tl-s, while im saving money for something else..I am a car enthusiast, like i said before i give props where props is due, i am not biased about anything, import/domestic, fwd/rwd/awd, turbo/sc/na/n2o...If a car deserves respect i give it..
Old 06-27-01 | 12:54 PM
nycvr6
Driver School Candidate

no thanks, dont want timeslips. as for the C5, it was to show that its not ALL about performance. you're really taking everything WAAAAYYYY too personally. why dont u go get urself a beer or something.

as for living the stats. the magazine people LIVE them (TEST them), in order to get #'s. and you know full well that just because it FEELS ****ty, doesnt necessarily mean it is. you cant go by feelings alone. my car feels like it pulls a pitiful .5 g's on the skidpad but after i slapped on g-tech pro, it pulled a LITTLE bit more.
Just FYI, Gtech is even more innacurate than the magazines..I pulled a 11.6 on the gtech and at the track i never ran better than a 12.2...I have been into racing for years now, mainly drag, stats from the mags are way off...
Old 06-27-01 | 01:04 PM
disc108
Lead Lap

Just FYI, Gtech is even more innacurate than the magazines..I pulled a 11.6 on the gtech and at the track i never ran better than a 12.2...I have been into racing for years now, mainly drag, stats from the mags are way off...
what do u have in ur GTI? is it force inducted?
Old 06-27-01 | 01:17 PM
nycvr6
Driver School Candidate

what do u have in ur GTI? is it force inducted?
I happen to be a street racer too, so i dont want to blow up spots..But, I have motor work, ie-pistons, cams, etc...Plus a lil something else up my sleeves..The car is not NA..

Quick Reply: Acura TL Type-S