GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Acura TL Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-01, 02:09 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by nycvr6

C5...hahaha...my pos vw will also smoke a c5...12.2@115mph...Want timeslips? I actually had the chance of running one of your guys car, i think it is Moe's GS4 SC'd...I eliminated him from round one brackets at E-Town..
Uh-Oh Mo's not going to like hearing that he got beat by your GTI. Kudos to you! That does not bode well for us GS4's looking to SC the engine...Disappointing to say the least...

Brent
Old 06-27-01, 02:13 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

arrite people.

I think it's no use comparing one car to another. Every car has its advantages and disadvantages. You might say the M5 is better than a 4Runner. Why because it's faster? I'll say 4Runner is better because of it's roomyness and offroading abilities. You say 360 Modena is better because it's faster? I can get a CRX and spend 8k on mods and get a 7 sec. 1/4 mile and 0-60 around 3 seconds, that's better.

It's cool to talk about pros/cons of a car but there's no point comparing cars. Each to its own.

I would agree that your GTi can outrun and outhandle my GS300, but it won't be as comfortable and smooth. If I want a car that can go fast and handle well I would get a WRX and spend about 10k on mods, outrun and outhandle 99% of the cars you see, street or autocross. But you sacrifice comfort and roomyness. You see how it is?

just a few facts before I leave:

*** Acura TL is a really good value car. around 30k, it's the best car you can get, no doubt. Downside: Lack of Japanese performance parts (50% of the reason why I didn't get a TL, other 50% such as made in USA, FWD, etc.) But If I have 30k for a car and NO WRX I would get TL without a doubt. (or maybe used RX-7 but that's different)

*** Magazine tests can never be trusted. Some guy I remember testdrove a CL-S and CL-regular back-to-back. CL-S got a 6.9 and CL-regular got a 6.8 0-60. He must be smoking.

*** Mercedes and Lexus ARE in the same class, and IMO the Lexus lineup beats the matching MB class. IS300 over 330i, GS300/400 over 530i/540i, and LS430 over S430. I would also take SC430 ove SL500.

*** MB and BMW quality and reliability is questionable.

*** Corvettes are fast but they sound nasty. Went to the muffler shop to install my N1s, a 2000 Corvette parked next to me. 50year old man started the car, sounds like some pickup truck in the 60's. NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO good.

*** yah........ that it. Peace out~side!
Old 06-27-01, 02:18 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

*** Mercedes and Lexus ARE in the same class, and IMO the Lexus lineup beats the matching MB class. IS300 over 330i, GS300/400 over 530i/540i, and LS430 over S430. I would also take SC430 ove SL500.
Uh, Globe...

Looks like you are mixing MB's with BMW's in those comparos...

Brent
Old 06-27-01, 02:30 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by BLiu

Uh, Globe...

Looks like you are mixing MB's with BMW's in those comparos...

Brent
Sorry about that dumb mistake, I was making my DIY crossed/drilled rotors when writing this j/k

*** Mercedes/BMWs and Lexus ARE in the same class, and IMO the Lexus lineup beats the matching MB/BMW class. IS300 over 330i/C320, GS300/400 over 530i/540i/E320/E430, and LS430 over S430/740i. I would also take SC430 ove SL500 or that fugly Z8 or Z9 or whatever they call that retro piece of metal.
Old 06-27-01, 02:36 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

Sorry about that dumb mistake, I was making my DIY crossed/drilled rotors when writing this j/k

*** Mercedes/BMWs and Lexus ARE in the same class, and IMO the Lexus lineup beats the matching MB/BMW class. IS300 over 330i/C320, GS300/400 over 530i/540i/E320/E430, and LS430 over S430/740i. I would also take SC430 ove SL500 or that fugly Z8 or Z9 or whatever they call that retro piece of metal.
Applause!! Just keeping you on your toes especially since you don't have any school now...

Brent
Old 06-27-01, 06:42 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Obviously another hater.......LOLOLOLOLOLOL
All I know is I got my 98' GS400 for 35k in the summer of 2000 w/ only 28k miles. "Live that stat." Every day I get in my car and smile with thanks that I chose this car over all of the choices I had. Its called value for the dollar. You got a VR6 and Im sure you got what you paid for......
The next time your heavily mod'd VR6 is at a stop light and a heavily mod'd GS400 comes up next to you, will you feel whole because you can beat it in a race?
Please come back and tell us if the owner rolls down the window, tells you how nice your car is, and then says he/she wishes they would have chosen something other than a GS.(like maybe a VR6)
In the competetive world of "TRUE" sport sedans(excluding the previously mentioned Acuras, Vw's, Nissans, or any other "less than Lexus quality" car) what do you feel is a better or equivalent car to the GS400? Please illustrate which of these so called stats you feel are important in defining the "TRUE" value of a car.......
Oh yeah, and when you eliminated MO, did you bring a stop watch to listen to how long a delay he had between 2nd and 3rd. That was an experimental set-up running more power than had ever been previously attempted with the GS400 engine? Its a legit mid 11sec. car. By the way, this isnt intended to qualify as flame throwing, but I dont know of a car in the SAME class as the GS that I would ever take over my car.....seen em all, drove em all... Tiny
Old 06-27-01, 08:01 PM
nycvr6
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by tinygs
Obviously another hater.......LOLOLOLOLOLOL
All I know is I got my 98' GS400 for 35k in the summer of 2000 w/ only 28k miles. "Live that stat." Every day I get in my car and smile with thanks that I chose this car over all of the choices I had. Its called value for the dollar. You got a VR6 and Im sure you got what you paid for......
The next time your heavily mod'd VR6 is at a stop light and a heavily mod'd GS400 comes up next to you, will you feel whole because you can beat it in a race?
Please come back and tell us if the owner rolls down the window, tells you how nice your car is, and then says he/she wishes they would have chosen something other than a GS.(like maybe a VR6)
In the competetive world of "TRUE" sport sedans(excluding the previously mentioned Acuras, Vw's, Nissans, or any other "less than Lexus quality" car) what do you feel is a better or equivalent car to the GS400? Please illustrate which of these so called stats you feel are important in defining the "TRUE" value of a car.......
Oh yeah, and when you eliminated MO, did you bring a stop watch to listen to how long a delay he had between 2nd and 3rd. That was an experimental set-up running more power than had ever been previously attempted with the GS400 engine? Its a legit mid 11sec. car. By the way, this isnt intended to qualify as flame throwing, but I dont know of a car in the SAME class as the GS that I would ever take over my car.....seen em all, drove em all... Tiny
Ok tuff guy..#1-You are a lil late coming into this argument, it is all over with..#2-I honestly dont give a **** about you or your car..And most important #3- I never said that I "beat" mo's car..I said i eliminated him from brackets..And, anybody with a lil knowledge about racing, knows that it makes no difference who crosses the line first, or which car is faster in brackets..It just so happens that my dial in was 13.5 and i ran a 13.569, mo's dial in was 13.00 and he ran a 13.7..It is apparent by his dial in that his car was faster...I did win in both categories, BUT I was already aware that he was having big tranny problems that day...I have heard that his car has since went 12 flat, which is very very impressive..Not to mention how beatiful his GS looks..
About pulling up next to a heavily modded gs, I dont think a gs is necessarily made to race, but more as a nice, comfy, luxury car..So if his car was proper, i would give him a lil head nod, or thumbs up to let him know what i think..And i wouldnt expect him to say he wants a vr6, because if he wanted one he could obviously afford one.I do however get a kick out of pulling up next to vipers, porsche's and vettes, waiting till they think im a joke, and then handing them their asses right in front of their women..I built that car for one reason, to have a fast fwd vw, if i wanted a gs, i could easily afford one, i have my eyes set on bigger better things...You are way late buddy, we have all ended this..so settle down..
Talk to you guys later
Old 06-27-01, 08:07 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by nycvr6

About pulling up next to a heavily modded gs, I dont think a gs is necessarily made to race, but more as a nice, comfy, luxury car..
Seriously, NONE OF THE CARS that are in normal production were designed to RACE. Unless you look at cars heavily tuned from the beginning, like M5 or Integ Type-R or SVT Cobra, nothing is actually meant to be raced much at all.

Just that some cars were build more luxurily, some cars built faster. It's up to the owner of the car if he/she decides to turn the car into a race machine. So I think ALL cars have potential, but yes the GS just started with a bit more refinement
Old 07-03-01, 09:11 PM
rbarker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nycvr6
[B]
though..Dont bash the TL-S, I have yet to see any car that gives you as much as that car does for the price..In my personal opinion, the interior of the TL-S is much nicer than the gs4, BUT, there are a few things that the gs has that would be nice in the tl, like one touch for every window, and dual climate zones..but otherwise, i like the TL interior way more..Again, this is just my opinion..But i am taking into consideration that in every

Well, I don't share your opinion. I drove a 1999 TL 3.2 for two and a half years and just traded it in on a GS 300. I find the quality of ride, comfort, quiet and luxury of the GS far superior to the TL. Will my GS out run a TL? I don't know and I don't care. I wouldn't buy either if I was intending on risking my life racing on the street, I'd buy a Porsche or something like that. My TL was a decent car, but it wasn't a Lexus.

And this, of course, is only MY opinion!
Old 07-04-01, 06:19 AM
rbarker

Smile Re: Rbarker for president!

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Rbarker, we needed your post like 2 WEEKS AGO, u are the mahn, welcome to ClubLexus.
Thanks for the warm reception! I would have posted 2 weeks ago but I just bought the GS Saturday!
Old 07-04-01, 12:22 PM
rbarker

Wink

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Excellent!

Any plans for it?
My plans include lots of driving!

As far as mods are concerned, nothing yet. I live a snow area so probably a second set of wheels and some real snow tires for the winter but I'll have to see how it does first. As long as it's decent I'll probably get by. My wife drives a 4WD RAV 4 we can use if the going gets tough.
Old 07-30-01, 03:37 PM
AC's TL/540i
Driver School Candidate

I have to admit, this forum is very intellectual and one of the few that have members with common sense.

I met 1SickLex over in the Acura-TL.com forum along with SCWells and GS430.

I have to say, that (I forget who that was though) someone's sig here is kinda funny, the one with someone getting slapped "BMW onwners need..."

Anyway, not a big Lexus fan, but hugely admire the GS400/430 cuz we always give each other a good race. At the end, win or lose somehow we always manage to give the winner props. Ofcourse I'm talking about my 540i vs the GS.

Not saying this cuz I own a TL, but it is my opinion that there is no other vehicle better than the TL/TLS in it's price category. I do agree that the TLS should not be compared to the GS430 as some of the Acura-TL.com guys agree as well. For many reasons.

Someone pointed out that the ES is a inferior car if you bought it for it's 0-60 capabilities against the TLS. I just bought my father in law a new ES and I have to admit the interior quality is far superior to the TL/TLS's interior. I too can't wait to see the new ES as Lexus always seems to pleasently surprise me with their new models. You can't deny that Honda/Acura did a fabulous job with the TL/TLS. As a matter of fact, they literally stole a good chunk of ES business. I'm a firm believer that the ES was overpriced to begin with, no offense to any ES owners. I also have to reply to the comment about $10K worth the extra HP. Well is $15K worth the extra what, 5 to 10 HP on the ES vs. the Camry V6? I think that whole approach was wrong. Not bashing or trying to start trouble here, but the last itme I checked, isn't the Avalon literally the same car as the GS in respec to platform and engine? I know and you know that the Avalon and the GS are 2 different cars all together, but if you compare the Accord to the TL, isn't it only fair to make an analysis of the Avalon as well?

In any case, I strongly feel that the TLS is not a direct competitor to the GS430 as my opinion has it that the GS is a far more superior car in respect to quality and other things.

Who know, I may end up trading my 540i in for the next gen GS430 if my M5 doesn't get here fast enough...

Cheers everyone and enjoy the ride!

BTW, 1SickLex, I'll see you at a red light my friend!
Old 07-30-01, 04:04 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AC,

welcome, and it was a pleasure to read your fair evaluations.

will
Old 07-30-01, 05:07 PM
AC's TL/540i
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by gs4will
AC,

welcome, and it was a pleasure to read your fair evaluations.

will
Thanx, I think I will enjoy this forum although I don't own a Lexus yet. I am contemplating on either the X5 or the LX470 one of these days.

I just got a call from Lexus, man cust. service rocks. This is the 2nd call in 3 weeks I got regarding the purchase of the ES for my father in law. I guess they called me since I purchased it. They wanted to make sure everything, I mean everything was ok. Only if I can get that DAMN BMW N.A. to do 1/2 that...
Old 07-30-01, 07:39 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by AC's TL/540i

Not bashing or trying to start trouble here, but the last itme I checked, isn't the Avalon literally the same car as the GS in respec to platform and engine? I know and you know that the Avalon and the GS are 2 different cars all together, but if you compare the Accord to the TL, isn't it only fair to make an analysis of the Avalon as well?

In any case, I strongly feel that the TLS is not a direct competitor to the GS430 as my opinion has it that the GS is a far more superior car in respect to quality and other things.

Who know, I may end up trading my 540i in for the next gen GS430 if my M5 doesn't get here fast enough...

Welcome to the forum!
I find your words very very respectful with the correct attitude. Thanks for providing such a nice comment.

Regarding your comment about the Avalon/GS:

GS300/400/430 (Aristo in Japan) shares the same platform with Crown, a sedan not sold here only in Japan. Avalon (Pronard in Japan) uses a different platform, a different engine (3.0 V6 on Avalon, 3.0 I-6 on GS300), different drive (FF vs FR), and it shares almost NONE OF THE PARTS. Parts sharing is what makes 2 cars alike. ES300 and Camry are alike, TL and Accords are alike. That's because of parts sharing.:eek:

Quick Reply: Acura TL Type-S