GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Acura TL Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-01 | 08:46 PM
Webologist
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
nycvr6 I said this is not @#$%^& personall, why are u doing this to yourself????? If I can afford a Gs 400 I am pretty sure I can afford some decent rims u idiot, but me and my ClubLexus brothers had a great conversation about my reasons a while back. I have no intention of explaining anything to your behind.

So I'm insecure about my car if I think the TL is overrated, u gotta be kidding me.

You are correct when u say u drive a piece of ***** and who would I be to argue with that.

Lexus Changed the game dude, not acura or any other jabronie. Let's see "Lexus Like", optitron, electuluminicent lighting, double hindged doors, one of the most beautiful cars ever made the 1st gen SC please do not let me go down the list.

When the hell has Acura made the cover of any auto magazine, all 100 of em, that's beacause they are a 2nd tier luxo company.

I strongly suggest you keep the insults to yourself bub...
Most recently the NSX is on the cover of the most recent Motor Trend

BTW: Fill in the blank here O Sick One... The FIRST Japanese luxury nameplate was _______. Then after that Toyota and Nissan FOLLOWED SUIT with their imitation of ______. Talk about changing the details of changing the game...

BTW some of the posts here are quite inaccurate.

4 Speaker (We don't count the standard Sub Woofer on the Standard 6 Disk in-dash)

45 Percent of parts are shared. Nice statistic. Please substantiate.

3.2 Liter 260 HP V-6?
17 Inch Wheels / Tires?
VSA?
5 Speed Auto?
Sequential sport shift?
Mid Size?
Wheel base?
Length?
Torque sensitive power steering?
I could go on and on...

True the double wishbone suspension (just like the GS) is shared with the Accord.

Does Lexus sharing the most important part of the GS (The Engine) with a VERY SLOW SUV diminish your GS any way? I would hope not. Check the rest of the parts shared with Toyotas, does it bother you? Why should they redesign the power steering pump to put it in the luxury nameplate of the brand?

RWD vs FWD I notice you put yourself in the same category as the Ferrari, Porshe and company. You forgot a few... Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, Dodge Durango all of which handle much better than the poor RSX, right? Perhaps there's more to handling than a single design parameter? If you check Motor Trend you'll find the CL Type S blowing away the BMW 328ci in EVERY SINGLE MEASURE of performance. Acceleration AND handling. How does the SubCompact 328i compare handling wise to the GS? Read the articles about the TL-S carefully and you'll see the handling considered very highly. Generalizations don't always work...

The cheap interior comment is equally funny having driven the IS300. Escaine (Plastic) seats and gadget riddled dash.

Reliability is very close to the ES300 (Tied with it last year in JD Power) which is to say it's so far above the rest of the pack it's a non issue...

BTW my TL-S is equally rattle free and feels exceedingly solid. It's a blast to drive and I'm perfectly happy with it. My next car (When my daughter goes to college) will be the next NSX. Do you want to cut that car down too? Remember it may have ONLY 400 Horsepower and might share wheel locks with the MDX...

Regards
-w
Old 10-07-01 | 09:24 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Can you not bring up this thing again. It's getting old. Why replying to a post months old?

BTW what's the point of bring up that Acura started before Lexus IMITATED? Just to show that even tho Acura started years ahead they still can't catch up to what they're intended to do, become a REAL luxury brand?

45% shared is a fact and don't need to be elaborated anymore. Honda admits it, why not some ignorant others? You think throwing in a different engine, a 4-speed auto with dual overdrive , MID size, same wheelbase, superlight steering, on and on will make it a totally different car? We don't care if it's like an Accord. Don't be so harsh on yourself.

Can you explain which SUV the GS shares engine with? Really, name it. We wanna know or do you make your own SUVs?

Why not say the MDX shares the same engine with the TL and Accord V6 except for the stroke is changed to create different displacement?

ITR is probably the world's best FF handling car. Type Rs have great weight distribution and light-weightedness. CL is not a Type R. Any questions?

Reliability is not the same as quality. Even tho the 3.2 liter engine is well developed and everything that doesn't compensate for the poor built and poor materials used. Yeah it's reliable, DRIVABLE I think. And?

BTW congrats on getting a solid TL-S.

Next NSX, cool. No we don't cut down on good cars.

Regards,
Old 10-07-01 | 09:51 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

dude the GS400 has the best braking system for its class, it has the shortest stopping distance from 60-0, it also has the fastest acceleration in its class, and the most horsepower in class. Now explain to me where you think that the GS400/430 is no better than the E430, the 540i, the xj8, acura legend.

personaly I have a 2001 MB S430, and to tell you the truth yes it rides alot smoother than my GS400 but thats about it, the GS handels better, it brakes faster, and it has more power per liter than the mercedes. Unless its an AMG its not worth the money in my book.
Old 10-08-01 | 11:40 AM
clivej
Pole Position

Hi guys,
The 1st luxury japanese nameplate was actually HONDA.This being the Honda Legend,Then came the Acura division.
Old 10-08-01 | 11:56 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Webologist

RWD vs FWD I notice you put yourself in the same category as the Ferrari, Porshe and company.
I'll say it once and I'll say it again...All true sports cars are Rear-Wheel Drive...The TL isn't..The Accord isn't...The Honda S2000 IS...The NSX IS...go figure. The RWD is the PLATFORM of choice for sports and performance driving.

PS Magazines don't mean squat. Go out for yourself and drive a RWD and a comparable FWD and you will see the light.

And if you are curious as to what cars I have driven...The list is too long but includes both FWD and RWD sports cars and sedans.

Regards
-b
Old 10-20-01 | 10:00 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

...BTW some of the posts here are quite inaccurate.

Does Lexus sharing the most important part of the GS (The Engine) with a VERY SLOW SUV diminish your GS any way? I would hope not. Check the rest of the parts shared with Toyotas, does it bother you? Why should they redesign the power steering pump to put it in the luxury nameplate of the brand?

Regards
-w
I believe among those inaccurate posts are one of yours. If you are referring to the GS300 engine, no, it is not shared with the RX 300. One is an inline-6 the other is a V-6. If you are referring to the GS400, I hope it would be obvious that it doesn't share an engine with the LX470.

-Nick
Old 10-21-01 | 12:31 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by LexRX

I believe among those inaccurate posts are one of yours. If you are referring to the GS300 engine, no, it is not shared with the RX 300. One is an inline-6 the other is a V-6. If you are referring to the GS400, I hope it would be obvious that it doesn't share an engine with the LX470.

-Nick
don't add insult to injury....... he knows he's wrong already
Old 10-21-01 | 09:11 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

don't add insult to injury....... he knows he's wrong already
My apologies

-Nick
Old 10-21-01 | 06:30 PM
Webologist
Driver School Candidate

BTW Flame Motor Trend too... A quote from a Motor Trend test of a Toyota SUV...

http://www.motortrend.com/nov99/suvsinhell/toyota.html

Thoroughly redesigned for '98, this fifth-generation Land Cruiser is the first Toyota vehicle to pack a V-8 engine. Its ultra-refined 4.7-liter 32-valve DOHC V-8 is shared with the Lexus LX 470 and based on the engine used in the Lexus LS 400 and GS 400.

Shared parts are nothing new. I'm not flaming your cars. I like the GS a lot. Don't really care if you like mine or not. I like it a lot.

When you talk about high end sports cars you aren't just talking rear wheel drive. You really are talking about mid engine as well. There's a bit more to handling than which end pushes/pulls the car. I don't think we're talking high end sports cars in our discussion here. Neither the TL or the GS is raced in any capacity in any series I'm aware of...

My wife's CL has been absolutly problem free, the most reliable car we've ever owned. It would be impossible to improve on the reliabilty of that car. I'm anticipating the same for my TL-S. MT long term tests have been 100% problem free on recent Acura's including the TL. Have you checked the long term comments on the GS400?
Old 10-21-01 | 06:46 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

We ALWAYS flame MT........ and those who rely on MT to say things. It's okay if you thought the GS shared engine with the Land Cruiser by reading MT....... at least you're not the one who's stupid.

So stop that sharing parts thing because GS doesn't.

um........ mid engine cars ARE rear wheel drive? Front engine mid engine rear engine all can be rear wheel drive, but FWD cars can only be front engine. Hope you know that.

The Aristo is used occasionally in N1 endurance races and also some other Japanese races. That's why there are tuners out there that develop complete suspension kits (like TRD and TOM's) and racing coilovers (HKS, Tein, etc). Are there any good coilovers developed specifically for the TL or CL? (the ones from Accords don't count. They are developed because too many people buy them...... there isn't ONE accord race car.)

It's good if your wife's CL has been problem free.

Again no one really cares what MT's long term tests are for the GS400. I haven't seen it but I wouldn't care about what they say anyways, judging on all their other articles. Everyone on ClubLexus has a long term report, and I'm sure you will see far more problems in Acura-TL.com than here.

Hope your TL-S is rattle free.
Old 10-21-01 | 07:08 PM
Webologist
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
We ALWAYS flame MT........ and those who rely on MT to say things. It's okay if you thought the GS shared engine with the Land Cruiser by reading MT....... at least you're not the one who's stupid.

So stop that sharing parts thing because GS doesn't.

um........ mid engine cars ARE rear wheel drive? Front engine mid engine rear engine all can be rear wheel drive, but FWD cars can only be front engine. Hope you know that.

The Aristo is used occasionally in N1 endurance races and also some other Japanese races. That's why there are tuners out there that develop complete suspension kits (like TRD and TOM's) and racing coilovers (HKS, Tein, etc). Are there any good coilovers developed specifically for the TL or CL? (the ones from Accords don't count. They are developed because too many people buy them...... there isn't ONE accord race car.)

It's good if your wife's CL has been problem free.

Again no one really cares what MT's long term tests are for the GS400. I haven't seen it but I wouldn't care about what they say anyways, judging on all their other articles. Everyone on ClubLexus has a long term report, and I'm sure you will see far more problems in Acura-TL.com than here.

Hope your TL-S is rattle free.
Thanks for the clarification on Mid Engine cars... I see you didn't get my point, I won't try again...

Don't really care about Accords, but they are raced in Touring Cars. Speed Vision has 'em pitted against BMWs, but that's neither here nore there.

I hope your GS is rattle free as well.
Old 10-21-01 | 07:54 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the clarification on Mid Engine cars... I see you didn't get my point, I won't try again...

Don't really care about Accords, but they are raced in Touring Cars. Speed Vision has 'em pitted against BMWs, but that's neither here nore there.

I hope your GS is rattle free as well.

Yah I don't see any point about the mid-engine cars. It's cool if you can't clarify.

Yes my GS is rattle-free, thanks for caring I wouldn't have to worry about that.
Old 10-21-01 | 08:12 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

BTW Flame Motor Trend too... A quote from a Motor Trend test of a Toyota SUV...

http://www.motortrend.com/nov99/suvsinhell/toyota.html

Thoroughly redesigned for '98, this fifth-generation Land Cruiser is the first Toyota vehicle to pack a V-8 engine. Its ultra-refined 4.7-liter 32-valve DOHC V-8 is shared with the Lexus LX 470 and based on the engine used in the Lexus LS 400 and GS 400.

Shared parts are nothing new. I'm not flaming your cars. I like the GS a lot. Don't really care if you like mine or not. I like it a lot.
The Land Cruiser/LX470 engine is actually based on the LS400/GS400 4 liter V8. I admit I don't know the specs on how it is based on the 4.0 Liter V8, but I remember that it is. The obvioius differences are the iron block, the larger size (bored out bigger). These things were done to suit the LX470/Land Cruiser as an SUV. Not tons of horsepower, but more torque.

That's why it is ultra-refined

-Nick
Old 10-23-01 | 07:54 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Old 10-24-01 | 01:58 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by retrodrive
WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!! Way to go Retro!!!

Quick Reply: Acura TL Type-S