GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Acura TL Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-01, 01:34 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I had the opportunity to be alongside one and when we both punched it he stayed with me really well. I was surprised to say the least. I'm going to have to go test drive one to check out the competition.

Peter
Old 06-26-01, 01:51 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Okay, the Tl-type whatever is fast, no doubt. How fast did ya'll race to 60 mph, 80, 100, 120, 140, 160 mph!?!?!From a standstill?

Driving a GS 4 to a TL You will be in for a HUGE disapointment, do not let fast fool you.............

Tl is not GS competition, it is ES competition.

exactly.

The TL-s is fast from 0-60. OK at most 0-80. I have no problem beating a regular TL after 100mph so I guess the TL-s won't gain on me if not beaten by me.

I think their transmission is composed of 2 ODs why would you want 2 ODs? TOTALLY Kills the performance on the freeways.

yah TL is a ES competition. It beat the ES pretty badly (sorry to say for ES owners..... hey wait for the new ES in the fall) but it's not a GS. Read previous posts and you'll see the difference of 10k between TL and GS300.

And no one is putting down the TL in anyway. It's just that sometimes it's too overrated.:eek:
Old 06-26-01, 03:27 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

It's not like I'm going to jump ship on the GS400 quite the contrary I'm waiting for more parts but I want to drive one now to understand the competition better.

BTW: For those who can't afford it I think this car competes much more with the GS than the ES. Hell I think there are a couple of cars that are "competition" for the GS that aren't in the GS price range. $10-20K will forgive a lot of sins.

Peter
Old 06-26-01, 04:20 PM
nycvr6
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Okay, the Tl-type whatever is fast, no doubt. How fast did ya'll race to 60 mph, 80, 100, 120, 140, 160 mph!?!?!From a standstill?

Driving a GS 4 to a TL You will be in for a HUGE disapointment, do not let fast fool you.............

Tl is not GS competition, it is ES competition.

Sounds like someone is a lil insecure..Are you aware of the price difference between the gs4 and the TL-S, and it sounds like you are getting a lil nervous about the comparison..The TL-S will completely humiliate a es..I know, because i own a TL-S as well as a 325 wheel hp gti vr6..The es is a joke..However my buddy has a 99 gs4, and it feels more powerful, and a lot more torquey..I havent had a chance to play with him yet though..Dont bash the TL-S, I have yet to see any car that gives you as much as that car does for the price..In my personal opinion, the interior of the TL-S is much nicer than the gs4, BUT, there are a few things that the gs has that would be nice in the tl, like one touch for every window, and dual climate zones..but otherwise, i like the TL interior way more..Again, this is just my opinion..But i am taking into consideration that in every car forum, everyone thinks their car is the ****, i belong to many different forums, i just happen to be a person who gives props where props are due...So flame me if you want..
Old 06-26-01, 04:51 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by nycvr6

Sounds like someone is a lil insecure..Are you aware of the price difference between the gs4 and the TL-S, and it sounds like you are getting a lil nervous about the comparison..The TL-S will completely humiliate a es..I know, because i own a TL-S as well as a 325 wheel hp gti vr6..The es is a joke..However my buddy has a 99 gs4, and it feels more powerful, and a lot more torquey..I havent had a chance to play with him yet though..Dont bash the TL-S, I have yet to see any car that gives you as much as that car does for the price..In my personal opinion, the interior of the TL-S is much nicer than the gs4, BUT, there are a few things that the gs has that would be nice in the tl, like one touch for every window, and dual climate zones..but otherwise, i like the TL interior way more..Again, this is just my opinion..But i am taking into consideration that in every car forum, everyone thinks their car is the ****, i belong to many different forums, i just happen to be a person who gives props where props are due...So flame me if you want..

hey no one will flame this is the highly-intellectual ClubLexus we're all old enough to tell what's a good conversation and what's not.

Considering the ES300 wasn't designed to be a performance vehicle from the start, there's nothing wrong with it being slow. The TL-S will completely humiliate an ES allright....... in speed, anything else? The ES still has better quality than the TL, needless to say. (Camry has better quality than Accord). The Windom that ES borrowed from wasn't a performance vehicle. IF they used Chaser then I believe TL-S wouldn't be a match.

Back to the value question, yah the TL has great value. For a car around 30k, it gives the most. The interior is pretty nice in the DESIGN I think (borrowed from Japanese accord) but the material and quality isn't the best for 30k. The TL-S that I test drove, moonroof rattles and the glove box rattles. The interior is also alittle tight for bigger people (like me.)

everyone on this forum has an open mind (not like Bummer forum) and hey, there's a reason for that big price difference. Say this again, TL-S and TLs are fast, but that's only at low-ends and the quality isn't Lexus. But certainly a good bang-for-the-bucks.
Old 06-26-01, 05:06 PM
nycvr6
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

hey no one will flame this is the highly-intellectual ClubLexus we're all old enough to tell what's a good conversation and what's not.

Considering the ES300 wasn't designed to be a performance vehicle from the start, there's nothing wrong with it being slow. The TL-S will completely humiliate an ES allright....... in speed, anything else? The ES still has better quality than the TL, needless to say. (Camry has better quality than Accord). The Windom that ES borrowed from wasn't a performance vehicle. IF they used Chaser then I believe TL-S wouldn't be a match.

Back to the value question, yah the TL has great value. For a car around 30k, it gives the most. The interior is pretty nice in the DESIGN I think (borrowed from Japanese accord) but the material and quality isn't the best for 30k. The TL-S that I test drove, moonroof rattles and the glove box rattles. The interior is also alittle tight for bigger people (like me.)

everyone on this forum has an open mind (not like Bummer forum) and hey, there's a reason for that big price difference. Say this again, TL-S and TLs are fast, but that's only at low-ends and the quality isn't Lexus. But certainly a good bang-for-the-bucks.
I am glad to hear that this forum isnt like almost every other forum..
But, since the es wasnt designed to be a performance car, then why was it compared to the tl-s? also, saying that the es is better quality than the tl-s and the camry better than the accord are opinions that you stated like facts.I happen to disagree with both those statements, but then again that is just my opinion..My TL-S has no rattles whatsoever, and im a lil guy, so i dont have a complaint about the size, but, i feel it is rather generous, being that my father who is a rather large guy mentioned how roomy the car was..Every car has their weaknesses, my friends gs400 has quite a few rattles, but then again it is a few years old and my tl-s is pretty new...Also i would like to mention that almost every mutual friend between me and my friend with the gs, said that the interior on the tl is nicer than the "Lexus"...Please dont get me wrong, i feel that lexus puts out a very high quality product, as well as overpriced..For what you get over the tl-s it is not worth almost 20,000 more...Again, just my opinion..
Old 06-26-01, 05:24 PM
gsexploits
Driver

I looked at both and decided on the GS430 (3 weeks ago). The TL-S with NAV was $35K out the door. My GS was $55k. Is there a $20K benefit? To each his/her own.

IMO as someone just coming out of a 1994 Honda Accord and very loyal as the past 3 cars including our other car, have been Hondas, The TL-S styling was a bit bland. The performance is outstanding for the cost. But then we could all go out and buy the Subaru WRX and have a rocket - but we all buy for our own reasons.

The GS has a love it or hate it body style as I have heard (though I haven't come across anyone who hates it). The TL-S adds 40hp to the Accord V6. The Accord doesn't offer NAV (yet). The body style is similar, the interior is near exact (other than the S type upgrades). The Accord can be had for $23K. So, is the TL worth the extra $12K for the 40hp improvement?

Again, to each his/her own
Old 06-26-01, 05:37 PM
nycvr6
Driver School Candidate

OK, last time i checked the accord v6 ex model has 200 hp, the tl-s has 260 making that a 60 hp difference...Also the accord v6 ex msrp is around $25,500, and the msrp on my car was $33,300..So for the $7,800 more i get 60 more ponies, nav, beautiful interior, 17 inch alloys, hid headlights, sport shift transmission, etc...So yes i think it is more than well worth the difference..True, the tl-s styling is a lil bland, but i got it in beautiful agean blue pearl so i am very happy with the looks..I personally happen to love the looks of gs4's...To each his own is true, but you were a lil off on some of your facts..
Old 06-26-01, 05:37 PM
whitediamond
Pole Position

Default TL-S not bad, not that great either

Without question a TL-S WITH HEADERS (30hp) and Intake (5-7hp) will give a GS4 a almost run . Though the GS willstill kill it off the line. I drove many TL-S's/CL-S's and for the money you cant beat it. Is it a better car then a ES300? If all you care about is accelerating to 80moh as fast as possible then yes. But if you factor in things such as ride, reliability, quality, plushness the ES is hard to beat. I came really close to buying the TL-S though im glad I instead picked up a GS400. THe TL-S has had 3 recalls in the first two months for safety related items. Many owners at the ACURA-TL.com complain of cheap paint. When I closely inspected the TL' and CL's on the lot, the panels did not line up and small things such as fender well covers/trim were not flush with the fender and so forth. Many small things that added up. I just did not feel comfortable buying a TL-S plus the fact that the salesperson said that even if I purchased the car that night, I could not drive it till next week when the updated seat belt kits came in!!!! However for the money the TL-S/CL-S does offer alot. It is loud and not really stylish (Accord written all over it), handles like crap (even with sways), and does have a few intitial issues, but all in all I liked the Acura Twins. Certainly no GS in any respect but still nice cars.
Old 06-26-01, 05:39 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

I am glad to hear that this forum isnt like almost every other forum..
But, since the es wasnt designed to be a performance car, then why was it compared to the tl-s? also, saying that the es is better quality than the tl-s and the camry better than the accord are opinions that you stated like facts.I happen to disagree with both those statements, but then again that is just my opinion..My TL-S has no rattles whatsoever, and im a lil guy, so i dont have a complaint about the size, but, i feel it is rather generous, being that my father who is a rather large guy mentioned how roomy the car was..Every car has their weaknesses, my friends gs400 has quite a few rattles, but then again it is a few years old and my tl-s is pretty new...Also i would like to mention that almost every mutual friend between me and my friend with the gs, said that the interior on the tl is nicer than the "Lexus"...Please dont get me wrong, i feel that lexus puts out a very high quality product, as well as overpriced..For what you get over the tl-s it is not worth almost 20,000 more...Again, just my opinion..

The TL is compared to the ES300 in terms of both pricerange and intended market. TL really stole alot of costomers from the ES group, that's no doubt.

The quality issue might seem like just opinions. But remember, most people prefer Japanese built Japanese cars rather than US built Japanese cars. Both Accords and TLs were built here, ALL GSs in Japan, and many Camrys from Japan also (my friend got a 2000 Camry from Japan..... there IS a difference in quality compared to other Camrys.) So it's not just an opinion, it's a fact.

Rattles, all kinds of cars have those. Someone's GS300 has those. I'm just saying, IN GENERAL.

the ES is pretty old.......... nothing major for what, 8 years? The interior design is just WAY TOO CONSERVATIVE. It's fairer to compare the new ES coming this fall to the TL....... about the same time frame. If you compare the 2001 ES to the 96 TLs, hey ES wins easily.

New interiors are always nicer. I think the RSX interior is better than the TL the TL interior is pretty nice I must say. But if it's labeled as a LUXURY PERFORMANCE SEDAN there needs to be some better leather and real wood.

Is it worth the extra money it's all different opinions. If one day a guy gets really rich and has to choose between the GS400 and TL-S no doubt which one he'll take
Old 06-26-01, 05:46 PM
nycvr6
Driver School Candidate

I totally agree...if money was no option, I would without a doubt take a gs..But i dont feel it is worthe $20,000 more...I also agree that the fake bootleg black wood is pretty cheesy, but am pretty happy with the perforated leather seats that come in the type s..I would just like to say that i am 100% happy with my tl-s, but like i said before i give props where props are due, and i dont think 1 sicklex should have replied in the manner he did..I happen to be in love with the looks of modified gs4's, stock leaves a lil to be desired..My friends is a 99 with eibach springs and 19 inch mille evo's, his car is beautiful, i love being in it, looking at it, and driving it, which i had the pleasure of doing all the way from southbeach miami back to ny, very pleasurable drive..
Old 06-26-01, 05:48 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: TL-S not bad, not that great either

Originally posted by whitediamond
I drove many TL-S's/CL-S's and for the money you cant beat it. Is it a better car then a ES300? If all you care about is accelerating to 80moh as fast as possible then yes. But if you factor in things such as ride, reliability, quality, plushness the ES is hard to beat.

ES300 was aiming for the 30+40+ age group that prefers a quiet, comfortable, plush ride. TL is different, emphasizing on Performance. Both has advantages. Like, TL owners will NEVER say "my car is more comfortable" and ES owners will NEVER say "my car is faster".

With headers and intake............... yah almost 300hp for the TL-S, pretty impressive. But if they never change that crappy so-called "5-speed auto" with 2 overdrives even the TL-S is slow on the freeways after 100mph. For more details search for my kill of the CL-s on the RACING FORUM. after 100 they don't pull.
Old 06-26-01, 05:54 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

I happen to be in love with the looks of modified gs4's, stock leaves a lil to be desired..

I think stock TL-S looks better than modified TLs yah. Stock TL-S is nice I think, the clear taillights and all. but I've visited Acura-TL.com forum a few times and seen quite a few TLs. I must say, TLs SLAMMED doesn't look good, the already thin body looks even thinner, no punch to it. also DUBS looks funny on ANY TL, looks like a small guy with big shoes. Lowered, 18s, perfect on TL. Anything more extreme is just weird.

Stock GS is pretty fat without lowering yah. TL looks best at stock form and lowered and some nice 18s.
Old 06-26-01, 06:04 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Default ye

TL-S don't pull over 100m/h because the gear ratio of Acura, at this speed, their engine only spin around 1500 to 2000rpm, and the GS is at 3-4k rpm

So, the TL-S saved alot of gas by using high 5th gear
Thus, TL will accelerate very slowly in high speed

I tested drive the TL-s before getting my GS

Totally 2 different car, you would know which one I picked by now hee hee
Old 06-26-01, 06:13 PM
whitediamond
Pole Position

I totally agree...if money was no option, I would without a doubt take a gs..But i dont feel it is worthe $20,000 more...I also agree that the fake bootleg black wood is pretty cheesy, but am pretty happy with the perforated leather seats that come in the type s..I would just like to say that i am 100% happy with my tl-s, but like i said before i give props where props are due, and i dont think 1 sicklex should have replied in the manner he did..I happen to be in love with the looks of modified gs4's, stock leaves a lil to be desired..My friends is a 99 with eibach springs and 19 inch mille evo's, his car is beautiful, i love being in it, looking at it, and driving it, which i had the pleasure of doing all the way from southbeach miami back to ny, very pleasurable drive..
NYCVR6, You do have a nice car. IM sure you go to the TL website, and my handle there was noparchment. It is funny you brought up that damn cheap bowling ball black fake wood. Man ,talk about ugly. The TL-S I wanted was the Blue with parchment. NO SUCH THING What was ACura thinking? I have not met anyone on the Acura-TL site that liked the blue with black interior and that ahem ahem wood. BUt im not going to knock that car. I still like it and in fact saw 2 today. When I see them I think to myself that hey that person has a nice car vrs. a Pontiac/Chevy owner where I think, what the hell was that person smoking? As far as the 20k difference? Well many say that a TL-S is not worth the 10k over an Accord. I would disagree, but point made. In fact I think a 911 twin turbo should be 30k!,Though it is worth a good 80k, not 120k. . Well that will never happen, so off in my GS I go till I can find the bastard in San Jose with my lottery ticket.

Quick Reply: Acura TL Type-S