GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

URGENT. Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-05 | 08:25 AM
GS400kid
Lexus Test Driver

Default URGENT. Please Help

Well guys, last night my headlight didnt turn itself off as it usually just turned off automatically, an hour later when i get back to the car, the driver side headlight was turned off, i knew the battery is dead....so i called up one my frd he said dont take the risk on jump starting the car, so i used his charger to charge my optima red top for a little over 2 hours. This morning when i woke up, the test indicator reading is even lower...so does that mean the battery will need to be replace or i can still charge it back up by any method? I have had this for just over a year only....
Thanks alot guys!
Old 06-24-05 | 08:53 AM
jskim9
Rookie

few possibilities:

1. the charger system is broken, not charged, etc.
2. optima battery is dead, although highly unlikely
3. electrical problem in your car is draining power, like how some cheap car alarm can drain the battery... most likely culprit
4. the headlights are still on and draining the battery

I would disconnect the battery for a while, then charge it with that external charger. Reset your electricals in your car, see if that helps.

And where did you hear that it's risky jump starting your car? I jump start cars all the time when car batteries dies out.

good luck
Old 06-24-05 | 09:00 AM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

Cool

i agree with jskim9. These are all possible options. Best of luck to you.
Old 06-24-05 | 10:05 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

2 hours isnt enough to charge a battery, put the charger on 2 or 6 amps and leave it overnight...dont use the 10 amp or higher setting as you can fry the battery from overheating. That will give you a full charge and if you can get a hydrometer...dont know if you can take the caps off...that will give a good indication of a full charge. IF you can take the caps off, check to see if its bubbling when you have the charger on. All cells are bubbling then its ok, and will just need to stay on the charger. My guess is that maybe you dont drive long distances? have a stereo system that sucks a lot of juice? If thats the case you maybe gradually discharging your battery over time and the lights being on for just an hour discharged what was left in your battery.
Old 06-24-05 | 10:07 AM
GS400kid
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jskim9
few possibilities:

1. the charger system is broken, not charged, etc.
2. optima battery is dead, although highly unlikely
3. electrical problem in your car is draining power, like how some cheap car alarm can drain the battery... most likely culprit
4. the headlights are still on and draining the battery

I would disconnect the battery for a while, then charge it with that external charger. Reset your electricals in your car, see if that helps.

And where did you hear that it's risky jump starting your car? I jump start cars all the time when car batteries dies out.

good luck
Thanks for the input!!
I was using an external charger to charged it, for the risky part he explained to me when we jump start the car, with the other car revving will output too much power and fried the electronics, and i dont have any aftermarket electronics at all. I turned off the headlight manuelly when i see one of the light is off...
Old 06-24-05 | 10:18 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

a car revving its motor will not put out "LOTS OF POWER" the alternator has a regulator built in that controls the voltage and current output. The reason to increase rpms is that alternators perform up to spec above say 1000 rpms. The most dangerous thing you can do is to hook up the cables neg to pos. That would fry or hurt something.
Old 06-24-05 | 10:28 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

I'm sorry to say but I think that all Optima batteries are junk (just my .02) I have had every color they make starting with a Red top and then on to the Yellow top then finally the Blue top. These batteries never could hold a good charge. I was always having some kind of problems with them. I personally say stay away from these and buy a good battery and your problems should be solved
Old 06-24-05 | 10:32 AM
GS400kid
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
I'm sorry to say but I think that all Optima batteries are junk (just my .02) I have had every color they make starting with a Red top and then on to the Yellow top then finally the Blue top. These batteries never could hold a good charge. I was always having some kind of problems with them. I personally say stay away from these and buy a good battery and your problems should be solved
thats another question that i have...what battery should i get?
Old 06-24-05 | 10:37 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

I would just buy the one from Lexus Plus it come with a warranty
Old 06-24-05 | 11:12 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

or sears , i use the gold series and its warr for 3 1/2 years full replacment and only cost 89
Old 06-24-05 | 12:33 PM
GS400kid
Lexus Test Driver

thanks alot guys.....i charged it again, it works now........saved me $89...PHEW.....
Old 06-24-05 | 02:23 PM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

Again, would have to agree with LEXUS KID. I had the original battery in my 98 GS3 and did not change it until February of 2005. The battery never failed or even blinked on me. The only reason I changed it was because in doing my service, it showed a bit low on charge and my tech. advised I should change it before it died out on me. Even there batteries are GREAT.
Old 06-24-05 | 02:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

yeah i ahve heard from my mechanics about the optima too. they used to be really good, but since last yr their quality has been pretty bad. for the price (150 bucks), he told me to just get the normal interstate battery. i will need to kill 3 interstate batteries in order to reach the price point of one optima. plus interstate carries better warranty.

and lexus battery, they are optima rebadged.

and unless you have a sound system or so where you play them extensively with the engine not running, otherwise there is no reason to get optima at all. when the car is running, everything is off the alternator
Old 06-25-05 | 12:22 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I had the original toyota battery in there and finally replaced it this year...it's been going strong since 2001. I got a Sears something in there now...no problems at all.
Old 06-25-05 | 12:33 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

my friend who is a mechanic jump started my friends car by just carrying over his battery.. once the car started he disconnected the ttermals and reattached the wires to the old dead battery... he said this is fine just dont let the (+) touch ground. it was pretty neat watching it

Quick Reply: URGENT. Please Help