GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cat back exhaust on a GS300?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-01, 05:51 PM
Presario
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been hearing many things that go against a cat back exhaust if not turbo'd. I have a NA GS300 and am thinking of returning my RMM exhaust (it hasn't been installed yet) for a cat back exhaust. Will I lose a lot of power in the low RPM range? How much? I know quite a few of you have Greddy's on GS3s. Can you guys help me out? Will it provide more gain than a just muffler replacement? Do you guys with the cats have problems passing emission tests? So many things telling me not to get a cat. Any suggestions? Please help.

-Andy
Old 06-26-01, 06:01 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not a good idea if you have catback without some kind of forced induction. Maybe GReddy on GS400 is good because of it's 4.0 displacement, but on a GS300 I don't know......

Muffler only will probably be a better choice. An exhaust that kills your backpressure will slow you down at low-ends but help the high-end (like my exhaust I'm getting a 0-60 time of 8 seconds (guessing) but after 100 it still pushes HARD):eek: :eek:

And........... RMM.? Why not Blitz. Looks better, better name (Blitz Performance Corp. vs. Rod Millen), most likely better performance.
Old 06-26-01, 06:19 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the GReddy cat-back exhaust system and yes low-end is decreased but high end is much better.

globe, why are you running 8 seconds? i'm running 8.1 when my drives (no launch of any sort, not even flooring it for the whole time) i think you hsould be able to go faster man!!!
Old 06-26-01, 06:26 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by LexusRules

globe, why are you running 8 seconds? i'm running 8.1 when my drives (no launch of any sort, not even flooring it for the whole time) i think you hsould be able to go faster man!!!

hahahaha it's just an estimate. It's alot slower than when I only had intake so I assume the 8 second.

I don't race people off the line anyways, that's not the strength of a GS300. If that's what I wanted I would've gotten a torque convertor instead of intake and exhaust.
Old 06-26-01, 06:31 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why is it a lot slower, from just rear sectin exhaust it shouldn't be slower, it should be evern a bit faster, and for sure the RMM intake is screwed.
Old 06-26-01, 06:42 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

The nature of the N1 exhaust is a very strait pipe kind, and I tried to make the piping as strait through as possible. Ended up, kinda like a strait pipe without the pipe :eek:

The diameter of the pipe I used is also larger than normal, losing more pressure.

I'll need to get a S-AFC and fine tune the settings to have my intake and exhaust working properly. Won't be getting the S-AFC until I make a trip to Japan and actually grabing one of those myself. (Alot cheaper there, with the correct harness too!)
Old 06-26-01, 08:39 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default :(

GlobeCLK,

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the ECU terminals between the US spec and the J-Spec are different. The US spec has more terminals than "the less demanding" JDM ECU. Believe me, I physically have both type of ECU. Meaning sensors, sensors and more sensors. By the way, get either XS-Engineering, AEBS, Alex Shen at SP Engineering to do the wiring. They are qualified as well as "competent." I have the electrical wiring diagram for GS if you want to attempt to do it yourself.
Old 06-26-01, 11:42 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: :(

Originally posted by v300
GlobeCLK,

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the ECU terminals between the US spec and the J-Spec are different. The US spec has more terminals than "the less demanding" JDM ECU. Believe me, I physically have both type of ECU. Meaning sensors, sensors and more sensors. By the way, get either XS-Engineering, AEBS, Alex Shen at SP Engineering to do the wiring. They are qualified as well as "competent." I have the electrical wiring diagram for GS if you want to attempt to do it yourself.

ya haha, i don't plan on doing the tuning or the wiring myself. So you're saying, the harness won't just plug-and-play? Not even the S300?
Old 06-27-01, 07:53 AM
Wheels Boutique
Former sponsor

I'm running the Apexi World Sport exhaust on my GS3 and i love it not nearly as loud as the Greddy and it is full cat back.
Old 06-27-01, 11:21 AM
v300
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: :(

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

ya haha, i don't plan on doing the tuning or the wiring myself. So you're saying, the harness won't just plug-and-play? Not even the S300?
Ray,

Just have the terminals junctioned at the connectors at the ECU. Run the line past the firewall and into cockpit. It will be fine. The S300's ECU terminal is not the same as US. We have an extra 2X16... sucks huh?
Old 06-28-01, 12:34 AM
GS3-Kid858
Driver

I have the blitz nur spec on my GS300 and to tell u the truth i love them they have a nice size and a nice deep tone to it
Old 06-28-01, 12:43 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by GS3-Kid858
I have the blitz nur spec on my GS300 and to tell u the truth i love them they have a nice size and a nice deep tone to it
yah. Very nice exhaust, looks nice. The one I was going to get until I decided on N1s.

Where's Daygo?
Old 06-28-01, 01:05 AM
GS3-Kid858
Driver

well actually i'm located in san diego and the names Ted i remember running into team lextacy that time they come down to daygo and went to the races i met Wei, Justin, Ted and that all i tink i remember?? even tho we had like 5 GS?? sorrie guys
Old 06-28-01, 01:47 AM
Presario
Driver

Hey GS3-kid858,
Did you buy the silencer for the Blitz exhaust? Also, did you compare your exhaust to the RMM, l-sportline, greddy, etc in terms of loudness? How loud is it on the inside of the cabin? Thanks so much. I want this exhaust.

-Andy
Old 06-28-01, 09:39 AM
dru
Driver

It seems that a lot of people like the Blitz exhaust for the GS! I can get this exhaust as well as anything you want from Blitz for your GS for a great price, right Presario? So just email me at homiedru@hotmail.com if you're interested in anything.

Quick Reply: Cat back exhaust on a GS300?