GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Thought I Share This With You All.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-05, 06:25 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexforlife
lighten up bro it was a joke nonetheless i still feel the method in which the lexus dealers charge for svc is whats overpriced in other words 80 a hour is fine but just because their book says they can charge you 3 hrs for a brake job that in fact takes them 1 hr or so to do realistically is where i have the problem.. i know this for a fact that the tech and dealers do this for i hang out at lexus of pembroke pines , most of the techs know me as well as all of the management , i hear them talk on how their ripping this person and that person

just like back in some old threads here people go in asking for a tranny drain and fill and they want to bang you for 100+ when the fluid runs less then $20 and the process takes all of 15-20mins lets get real here

my opinion which is what he asked for is that the entire job should have been in the vicinity of 700 tops

just my .03 cents (remember inflation )
Dealerships in general always charge more then your local shops. But, that doesn’t mean you have to let them rip you off. No matter what price the dealer ship quotes, there’s always room for negotiation. Many, if not all dealers will always try to charge by what the book says. However, just cuz the book says 3 hrs doesn’t mean you have to pay 3 hours. You talk with the service manager and get him to work with you. If he’s not willing, you’re always free to go someplace else for service. Not to defend dealer service centers, but one must keep in mind their in business to make a profit while offering top level service. Of course like anything else in the service industry, you have good honest dealerships and you have greedy stealerships. Based on your comments, it sounds like lexus of pembroke pines falls into the “stealership” category.

Btw, would you be willing to do the same work on other cl members cars for $700?
If so, how about becoming an approved CL service vendor. With places like lexus of pembroke pines, I sure you’ll have no problems getting business.
Old 06-26-05, 06:37 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rheiy
Dealerships in general always charge more then your local shops. But, that doesn’t mean you have to let them rip you off. No matter what price the dealer ship quotes, there’s always room for negotiation. Many, if not all dealers will always try to charge by what the book says. However, just cuz the book says 3 hrs doesn’t mean you have to pay 3 hours. You talk with the service manager and get him to work with you. If he’s not willing, you’re always free to go someplace else for service. Not to defend dealer service centers, but one must keep in mind their in business to make a profit while offering top level service. Of course like anything else in the service industry, you have good honest dealerships and you have greedy stealerships. Based on your comments, it sounds like lexus of pembroke pines falls into the “stealership” category.

Btw, would you be willing to do the same work on other cl members cars for $700?
If so, how about becoming an approved CL service vendor. With places like lexus of pembroke pines, I sure you’ll have no problems getting business.
you have made some great points hear , but one thing still bothers me , when we go to the stealerships we all seem to have the expectation that we are going to recieve top quality work for a+ techs , we have been brain washed into thinking that this what we are going to get and thats what we pay for , but sad to say alot of times you will find c and d class techs working on your baby making all kinds of mistakes , i have witnessed some of these myself hanging arounfd with the techs as well as hearing multiple complaints from people bringing their cars back for things that were not fixed right the first timeand for that we get to pay 80-90 a hour and rec a loaner to ease the pain , i say great marketing by toyota

i have done work on other members cars for a big fat O just because i like to help people out , i love clublex , i am a diehard car nut , i feel this is what being part of a true club is about , but thats just me , i am a sucker for good company
Old 06-26-05, 07:35 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexforlife
i have done work on other members cars for a big fat O just because i like to help people out , i love clublex , i am a diehard car nut , i feel this is what being part of a true club is about , but thats just me , i am a sucker for good company
If you ever want to start up a shop in Charlotte, I'll be sure to bring in my GS.
Old 06-26-05, 07:35 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the price you paid is worth it ..just for piece of mind

doing a timing belt is no joke ...there is no room for error

i do a lot of my own work and this something i will let the dealership

handle

a lot of the stuff you had done if youve never done it before is a pain in the ***

congrats she should run another 90k

and as always get the old parts this way you know they changed it
Old 06-26-05, 08:21 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

folks please dont get twisted , for some there is solice and peace of mind in taking to "lexus" and getting "lexus top notch service and there is nothing wrong with that , as i stated earlier all that matters is that you feel you got a fair deal and moreover you feel secure knowing that if something breaks then they are liable and for that serenity you pay a premium..

he asked for opinion and thats what i gave my own thoughts of how i feel about their pricing

Last edited by lexforlife; 06-26-05 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-26-05, 08:29 AM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt

Hey, I'll jump on that Charlotte bandwagon myself if you come here. To me, its sounds as if you paid a fair price through the dealer for all your work. For resale, it has helped me sell my other Lexus cars fast b/c of dealer servicing.
I'm also doing my 90K service on 6-30-05 (although I have 96Kmiles). Hendrick Lexus I believe wanted about $1050 for the job. Although they have done EVERYTHING on my car up until now (partially b/c it was Certified until recently), I am going to a local repair shop for the first time for this big service. They quoted me about $650 for the same service with replacing the timing belt and all other parts to the service. That was my justification for buying the SRT intake.

I do have one question since we're talking about it. I was wondering if there was a special timing belt for the Lexus GS or Is the timing belt for the GS 400 the same as any other timing belt for all Toyota cars. I want to make sure my repair shop does it the right way. I don't remember about the water pump being replaced, is that normal for this service. I don't have any problems with anything on my car and never had mechanically. By the way for the Charlotte folks, what shop do you guys use?
Old 06-26-05, 08:45 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kazam
Maybe, your missing the point. This included everything.
1. timing belt.
2. tune up.
3. replacement of all fluids(differential, transmission, coolant, brake, oil & filter, etc.).
4. air filter.
5. 4 wheel alignment.
6. hood latch cable(which was broke).
7. shims.
8. Hardware kit.
9. front brake pads.
10. Machine cut rotors.
11. replace all back light bulbs.
12. air cabin filter.
13. 4 wheel alignment.
14. Tire rotation

All for $1,100? Parts and labor. Am I missing something? Like I said, I am not mechanically inclined. Who ever thinks I got ripped off must be smoking something real bad. Hey, keep in mind this is a Lexus dealership $80+ per hour for labor(like most other dealerships and local mechanics). Not to mention I had the opportunity to test drive the 05 RX330 for 2 days. You think a local mechanic would have given me a new Lexus to drive in the meantime. I think not.

dang dude thats really expensive....i took my car to toyota in lombard, IL for my timing belt, coolant flush, and serpentine belt, and they charged me $410 total...all those other fluids i had done at firestone for much less (<$200)...as for alignment and rotation, that could be done at discount tire or NTB for less than $60...the air cabin filter costs 10 bucks at home depot.
Old 06-26-05, 09:06 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
dang dude thats really expensive....i took my car to toyota in lombard, IL for my timing belt, coolant flush, and serpentine belt, and they charged me $410 total...all those other fluids i had done at firestone for much less (<$200)...as for alignment and rotation, that could be done at discount tire or NTB for less than $60...the air cabin filter costs 10 bucks at home depot.

now add in the tune-up ,hood latch ,brake job

theres the rest of the $$$

and in NJ the local lexus dearler get $92 an hour
Old 06-26-05, 09:50 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

One other thing. In addition to the added value to the car of having a complete Lexus service history, there's also the benefit of (and this may have already been said) having the dealership stand behind their work if anything should go wrong. I agree that the techs working at Lexus may, in some cases, be no better (or may even be worse) than the mechanics working at your local garage, but, in most cases, I would rather deal with Lexus if something goes awry than with a local shop.
Old 06-26-05, 09:53 AM
SRK
Driver

Kazam you got a good deal on all that work. In Canada that would have been far more money. If you are pleased with the workmanship, and everything was done to your satisfaction, and the car runs like it should and was delivered to you clean, then it was money well spent. You have a warranty on the work from the dealer, and it was done by experienced people in a short time.
Every time I see some trend-sucking dilletante buying a five dollar coffee at Starbucks, I see someone who is not spending money well.
I have been in the automotive business for almost twenty years. When I can't or don't want to fix something on either of my cars, they go to the dealer. Never an independant, which is after all what I am. I know what many of them are like. I pay at the dealer, but I also know they stand behind their work, and the techs are among the best trained in the business.
Old 06-26-05, 06:56 PM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 18 Posts

I think you got a good deal on the repair. The end result is the work that was done by a certified Lexus mech and that in my book says it all. There is nothing worse than having a mickie mouse shop/ mechanic work on your car that is clueless and having to take it to a Lexus dealership to fix the screw up. The end result is peace of mind and knowing it was fixed correctlly and having a warrantee!!. Not to mention the benefits of getting a loaner when your car is in the shop??? How much does it cost to rent a luxury car nowadays???? Honestly guys we drive Lexus cars and there is some financial expense that comes with owning such a vehicle. Getting a free loaner in my opinion is a great benefit. I agree that some dealerships may charge a lot but in this case I dont feel that you got a bad deal.
Old 06-26-05, 07:34 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

What about the timing belt and water pump 90k right
Old 08-04-05, 10:01 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I just called Lexus of Orland for a quote on a replacement of the serpentine belt...NOTHING ELSE!!!.....the girl quoted me $400-500. I fell on the ground laughing here at work.
Old 08-04-05, 10:48 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
I just called Lexus of Orland for a quote on a replacement of the serpentine belt...NOTHING ELSE!!!.....the girl quoted me $400-500. I fell on the ground laughing here at work.
that is a joke-maybe she thought you meant timing belt?

just buy one from Sewell or Carson and do it yourself. Johhny posted how to do it awhile ago. You just release spring loaded tensioner and belt comes right off. probably cost about $30-$40.
Old 08-04-05, 11:10 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chuckb
that is a joke-maybe she thought you meant timing belt?

just buy one from Sewell or Carson and do it yourself. Johhny posted how to do it awhile ago. You just release spring loaded tensioner and belt comes right off. probably cost about $30-$40.
Clearly....she knew it was the serp belt, because she quoted $33 for the belt. Timing belts are $70.

Is it that easy to change it? Is there a write up?

Quick Reply: Thought I Share This With You All.