GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Thought I Share This With You All.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-05, 03:50 PM
kazam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thought I Share This With You All.

My GS has 87K and thought it was about that time to perform the 90K service(and we all know what this consists of). Now I am not mechanically inclined so I decided to take my GS to a Lexus dealership(suburb of Chicago). Aside from the 90K service, I authorized Lexus to fix or replace the following...

1. My complaint was a front clicking noise when I reverse or turning the wheel at very slow speeds. Lexus discovered and fixed the following..
a. Hardware kit, (which was missing)
b. Shims, (which was also missing).
c. Replaced front brake pads, which were uneven.
d. Resurface rotors.

2. Replaced all bulbs for both my upper and lower tail lights.

3. Replace cabin air filter.

4. Replaced my hood latch cable(which was seized).

5. 4 wheel alignment.

How much did I pay for all of this? $ 1,164.35. (To be exact).

I got this deal only because my sister is a cashier at the dealership. Not bad?

I really think If I was just a walkin, the cost would have been at least $2K. You think?

Thats it, i'm done.
Old 06-25-05, 03:58 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kazam
My GS has 87K and thought it was about that time to perform the 90K service(and we all know what this consists of). Now I am not mechanically inclined so I decided to take my GS to a Lexus dealership(suburb of Chicago). Aside from the 90K service, I authorized Lexus to fix or replace the following...

1. My complaint was a front clicking noise when I reverse or turning the wheel at very slow speeds. Lexus discovered and fixed the following..
a. Hardware kit, (which was missing)
b. Shims, (which was also missing).
c. Replaced front brake pads, which were uneven.
d. Resurface rotors.

2. Replaced all bulbs for both my upper and lower tail lights.

3. Replace cabin air filter.

4. Replaced my hood latch cable(which was seized).

5. 4 wheel alignment.

How much did I pay for all of this? $ 1,164.35. (To be exact).

I got this deal only because my sister is a cashier at the dealership. Not bad?

I really think If I was just a walkin, the cost would have been at least $2K. You think?

Thats it, i'm done.
sorry bro but to me they are nothing more then stealerships

in your list all that was described could have been done within 3hrs tops , if you were in my town i would have done it for 250 and a 6pack of red stripe

shop around next time , you will find high quality shops out there with a impeccable rep for 1/3 the cost lexus charges themselves
Old 06-25-05, 04:01 PM
SiFreak
Rookie

Not bad at all considering you are not skilled to do the work
Old 06-25-05, 04:13 PM
QuikLex
Pole Position

I think it's incredible how they can get away with charging folks that much to do so LITTLE! It's honestly a disgrace. Yes you get the benefit of a dealership doing the work, but is it truly worth it to pay that much? I just don't see the justification....
Old 06-25-05, 04:36 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey guys. I'm pretty sure his 90k was included in that price, in which case, he made out just fine. I'm the first to criticize "stealerships," but I think they really came through for him in this case.
Old 06-25-05, 04:53 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see how anyone can judge that price unless we know exactly what was done in the 90K service in addition to what kazam listed in his post. Every dealer has their own list of what they do for 30k, 60k, 90k, etc. Some do more while others do less.
Old 06-25-05, 04:58 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

well if the 90k was included then not too bad .. timing belt and waterpump is around 400-500 give or take so even if it was included i still say toooooo muchhhhhh
Old 06-25-05, 05:13 PM
kazam
Driver

Maybe, your missing the point. This included everything.
1. timing belt.
2. tune up.
3. replacement of all fluids(differential, transmission, coolant, brake, oil & filter, etc.).
4. air filter.
5. 4 wheel alignment.
6. hood latch cable(which was broke).
7. shims.
8. Hardware kit.
9. front brake pads.
10. Machine cut rotors.
11. replace all back light bulbs.
12. air cabin filter.
13. 4 wheel alignment.
14. Tire rotation

All for $1,100? Parts and labor. Am I missing something? Like I said, I am not mechanically inclined. Who ever thinks I got ripped off must be smoking something real bad. Hey, keep in mind this is a Lexus dealership $80+ per hour for labor(like most other dealerships and local mechanics). Not to mention I had the opportunity to test drive the 05 RX330 for 2 days. You think a local mechanic would have given me a new Lexus to drive in the meantime. I think not.
Old 06-25-05, 05:27 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kazam
Maybe, your missing the point. This included everything.
1. timing belt.
2. tune up.
3. replacement of all fluids(differential, transmission, coolant, brake, oil & filter, etc.).
4. air filter.
5. 4 wheel alignment.
6. hood latch cable(which was broke).
7. shims.
8. Hardware kit.
9. front brake pads.
10. Machine cut rotors.
11. replace all back light bulbs.
12. air cabin filter.
13. 4 wheel alignment.
14. Tire rotation

All for $1,100? Parts and labor. Am I missing something? Like I said, I am not mechanically inclined. Who ever thinks I got ripped off must be smoking something real bad. Hey, keep in mind this is a Lexus dealership $80+ per hour for labor(like most other dealerships and local mechanics). Not to mention I had the opportunity to test drive the 05 RX330 for 2 days. You think a local mechanic would have given me a new Lexus to drive in the meantime. I think not.
then that was a expensive rental

you asked for opinion , you got what you asked for , maybe i am alittle biased because i do all and i do mean all my own work in my home garage but i still unstand the value and worth of what something SHOULD cost

all that matters is you got it taken care of and if you are happy with what you paid then again thats all that matters right
Old 06-25-05, 06:04 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexforlife
then that was a expensive rental

you asked for opinion , you got what you asked for , maybe i am alittle biased because i do all and i do mean all my own work in my home garage but i still unstand the value and worth of what something SHOULD cost

all that matters is you got it taken care of and if you are happy with what you paid then again thats all that matters right
While its great you're able to work on your own cars and save a bundle, I don't belive kazam had an expensive rental at all. Not everyone has the level of mechanical skill as well as equipment to do this type of work. I believe he paid a very fair price based on what was done.
Old 06-25-05, 07:04 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rheiy
While its great you're able to work on your own cars and save a bundle, I don't belive kazam had an expensive rental at all. Not everyone has the level of mechanical skill as well as equipment to do this type of work. I believe he paid a very fair price based on what was done.

lighten up bro it was a joke nonetheless i still feel the method in which the lexus dealers charge for svc is whats overpriced in other words 80 a hour is fine but just because their book says they can charge you 3 hrs for a brake job that in fact takes them 1 hr or so to do realistically is where i have the problem.. i know this for a fact that the tech and dealers do this for i hang out at lexus of pembroke pines , most of the techs know me as well as all of the management , i hear them talk on how their ripping this person and that person

just like back in some old threads here people go in asking for a tranny drain and fill and they want to bang you for 100+ when the fluid runs less then $20 and the process takes all of 15-20mins lets get real here

my opinion which is what he asked for is that the entire job should have been in the vicinity of 700 tops

just my .03 cents (remember inflation )
Old 06-25-05, 07:24 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think he could've got all that stuff done a little cheaper by doing the easy stuff(bulbs,engine/ac filter,etc.) himself and going to a regular mechanic for the rest. I got a quote on my ES for $275 for timing belt from mechanic and $570 from dealer.

with that being said, the price he paid for a Lex dealer doing all that stuff is pretty good. It is nice to know the dealer works on Lexus cars regularly and that they are responsible for repairs or anything that they mess up, and the loaner is a plus.

btw-lexforlife, I agree $100 for a trans drain/ refill is a rip! that's what my dealer gets too.
Old 06-25-05, 08:58 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Here's one other thing to consider. I just bought a 99 GS400, and one thing that was very important to me was the fact that I was able to verify that the car had been fully serviced throughout its entire life at Lexus. There's nothing wrong with servicing the car yourself, and I'm guessing that most of you can do as good if not a better job than the dealership at less than 1/2 the price, however, I do believe there's a value to having a nice Lexus service history.
Old 06-25-05, 09:19 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could do all that within 3 hrs for parts of 200!!! Then 80.00 for the alignment!

But if this includes a timing belt and water pump change, it is not bad at all ( I would not want to mess with the timing belt myself since it is a lot work and might mess up the timing)

Well, dealer always charge arm and leg for anything... I guess the deal you got from them is not that bad after all.
Old 06-26-05, 02:50 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I think he got a great deal keeping in mind that it was all done by the dealership.

Quick Reply: Thought I Share This With You All.