GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-05 | 08:56 AM
Motu1
Driver

Default Rotors

I but this up in the other forum last week and only got 1 reply so I will try here

Ok so what should I be looking for on my GS 430? I want looks and performance if that's possible combo. I hear good and bad things about crosdrilled and same with slotted only. Also what brands should I be looking at? I can get Rotora slotted from L-tuned parts for $75 each plus $25 shipping. I have seen OBX and brembo. Any suggestions?
Old 06-27-05 | 09:19 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Motu1, I have a pair of slightly used Powerslot Rotors for the rear I can sell you for 90 bucks that I never used... and could get these to you when we meet so no shipping.

I bought these from Lexforlife so he could let you know more about their history.

These sell for $200.00 not including shipping so $90 is a really good deal... same I paid Lexforlife... I never put them on... (too lazy)

Old 06-27-05 | 09:53 AM
Motu1
Driver

Cin no go on the meet tomorrow UPS came late so it threw the whole schedule off today for the wheels to be installed

I will get with you when we can meet looks like July 9th is the next opportunity.

I would like to get more input on rotors before I make a decision. Cin are the rotors you have slotted and cross drilled?
Old 06-27-05 | 10:06 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Cool on the 9th... Especially if we are talking about Orlando...

They are slotted. Lexforlife sold them to me because he changed his rear setup to LS Big Brakes...

He would be the person to ask about these Rotors, but I hear they are one of the best for a factory replacement.

I was going ot put them in the classifieds but have been too lazy... I have a whole side of my garage of items I need to put on Ebay actually...

Old 06-27-05 | 10:25 AM
tkracing
Lead Lap

Personally I am not a fan of cross drilled. I have warped 2 pairs already. I have had slotted for 2 years and no problems under extreme braking and heat.
Old 06-27-05 | 10:30 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tkracing
Personally I am not a fan of cross drilled. I have warped 2 pairs already. I have had slotted for 2 years and no problems under extreme braking and heat.
I have heard the same thing about the cross drilled...
Old 06-27-05 | 10:33 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

john

what happened bro , you need to take 1hr and throw them on man , pull off that wheel , remove pads remove caliper and use a rubber mallet and tap the stock rotor off

motul

these are powerslot slotted rotors , be very careful if you go the drilled rotor route , they tend to warp very very easily no matter what bran you use with the exception of bbk which uses a 2 piece floating design which aids in preventing warpage and or cracking , they allow the rotor to expand and contract independent of the hub itself or rotor hat (this is my next move hopefully with bbk , i just cant resist seeing that john and i have time to wait my lmw to get this kit together )

the ones i sold to john were only a few months old and were mint
Old 06-27-05 | 11:11 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexforlife
john

what happened bro , you need to take 1hr and throw them on man , pull off that wheel , remove pads remove caliper and use a rubber mallet and tap the stock rotor off

motul

these are powerslot slotted rotors , be very careful if you go the drilled rotor route , they tend to warp very very easily no matter what bran you use with the exception of bbk which uses a 2 piece floating design which aids in preventing warpage and or cracking , they allow the rotor to expand and contract independent of the hub itself or rotor hat (this is my next move hopefully with bbk , i just cant resist seeing that john and i have time to wait my lmw to get this kit together )

the ones i sold to john were only a few months old and were mint
I knew to expect some grief from you...

Actually, I had no idea how easy it was to replace the pads in the rear, and once I had the wheel off and saw it was only going to take a sec to replace the pads I looked at the rotors and decided I would rather just throw the wheel back on... LOL

I have never seen a rear pad replacement where the pad just slides in like that...

As it turns out the noise I am getting is coming from the fronts and the rear stock pads were like new also... and now I want the red stuff... so I am also going to put the green stuff rear pad and original rear pads up for sale too... as soon as I get off my lazy butt and order the red stuff pads...

I think since I have decided to go FI that I am going ot go with a BBK setup of some sort... if I can fit anything under the Salina's... can't remember what fits under there, I think Neo knows...

but 1 thing at a time...

I am trying to decide now if I pull the trigger on the SC kit at the same time as you or if I let you test it out a little first to make sure it is right for me... do you think we should get our engines compression tested before we throw it on?

Old 06-27-05 | 11:30 AM
Motu1
Driver

I heard whe you get new rotors you should get new pads as well any truth to this?

By the way Cin I think I am gonna go with a ZEX kit for FI
Old 06-27-05 | 11:52 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Motu1
I heard whe you get new rotors you should get new pads as well any truth to this?

Was thinking about going this route also... WAY CHEAPER... but decided against it after hearing that the best way is to inject directly into the manifold... price just went up I am guessing...

That and I would probably never arm it or use it... LOL

But a BIG if you try it out!
Old 06-27-05 | 11:54 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CinFulxGS4
I knew to expect some grief from you...

Actually, I had no idea how easy it was to replace the pads in the rear, and once I had the wheel off and saw it was only going to take a sec to replace the pads I looked at the rotors and decided I would rather just throw the wheel back on... LOL

I have never seen a rear pad replacement where the pad just slides in like that...

As it turns out the noise I am getting is coming from the fronts and the rear stock pads were like new also... and now I want the red stuff... so I am also going to put the green stuff rear pad and original rear pads up for sale too... as soon as I get off my lazy butt and order the red stuff pads...

I think since I have decided to go FI that I am going ot go with a BBK setup of some sort... if I can fit anything under the Salina's... can't remember what fits under there, I think Neo knows...

but 1 thing at a time...

I am trying to decide now if I pull the trigger on the SC kit at the same time as you or if I let you test it out a little first to make sure it is right for me... do you think we should get our engines compression tested before we throw it on?

john , our engines are 6 bolt mains , they are as durable as they come , a compression test would not hurt but i feel unessary , the kit from them should be running no more then 7lbs of boost and after pressure drop through intercooler maybe 5lbs , i never had a doubt in mind about the engine persay it was the overall design of the kit that bothered me

so john lets continue this in pm as to not jack motuls thread or better yet lets have a beer during that meet (hopefully you are coming) and we can put our heads together

i too am thinking of upping my brake kit to the real deal in preparation i do have something on order , put deposit on but still waiting for avail
Old 06-27-05 | 11:57 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motu1

ideally yes , required , depends on the rotor you took off to replace. if you had a badly warped rotor then your pads would badly deformed to the contours of that rotor if you had healthy pads and a decent to excellent rotor surface then the new rotors will bed fine with the exisisting pads
Old 06-29-05 | 05:42 AM
Motu1
Driver

well I decided after getting the new wheels mounted Monday night I am gonna get a BBK

Stock painted calipers would be a nice touch but a BBK will set this **** off. I have alot do do before HIN Miami so I need to get moving.

@ 00lexondub aren't you running a Rotora BBK or just rotors?