GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

LeBra GS400

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-05, 08:19 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LeBra GS400

i know theyre ugly as sin, but im going on a 3 hour thruway ride upstate on friday and i just got my car back from the body shop not 4 days ago, had a decent amount of front end, hood, and fender paint work. i do NOT want this brand new paint destroyed by 3 hours of ****ty upstate driving, bugs, rock chips, bla blah bla.. my question is this, will the bra made for the 01 gs400 fit my 98? are all the front ends 98-01 or maybe even up to 05 the same? i thought i knew the answer to this but i want to be sure before i order the damn thing (because lots of sites and stores claim to have it available for the 01 gs400 and not the 98) and pay to have it next day'd in time for the trip and i need it to fit...next stop is calling lebra which ill do next but i figured id ask here first.

thanks in advance
Old 06-28-05, 08:46 AM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
i know theyre ugly as sin, but im going on a 3 hour thruway ride upstate on friday and i just got my car back from the body shop not 4 days ago, had a decent amount of front end, hood, and fender paint work. i do NOT want this brand new paint destroyed by 3 hours of ****ty upstate driving, bugs, rock chips, bla blah bla.. my question is this, will the bra made for the 01 gs400 fit my 98? are all the front ends 98-01 or maybe even up to 05 the same? i thought i knew the answer to this but i want to be sure before i order the damn thing (because lots of sites and stores claim to have it available for the 01 gs400 and not the 98) and pay to have it next day'd in time for the trip and i need it to fit...next stop is calling lebra which ill do next but i figured id ask here first.

thanks in advance
It'll fit just fine.

I use one on my '99 GS400 for trips to Las Vegas to prevent the same thing.

You might want to check eBay for one. It might save you a few bucks.

Happy chip free motoring!
Old 06-28-05, 08:58 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr GS400
It'll fit just fine.

I use one on my '99 GS400 for trips to Las Vegas to prevent the same thing.

You might want to check eBay for one. It might save you a few bucks.

Happy chip free motoring!

thanks for the quick response. one more question, is the install/uninstall of this thing pretty quick, and without tools? someone mentioned to me earlier that since i just got the car back last thursday from the paint shop that i shouldnt put a bra on the car for atleast 6 months...i know youre not supposed to go thru an automatic car wash for atleast a month after new paint, but 6 months for the bra? damn that definetly isnt in time for friday lol...anyone?
Old 06-28-05, 09:07 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i used a LeBra on my maxima that i used to own, and if its like that one, all it was a couple clips here and there to secure it in place... but that was like 5 yrs ago, so i cant remember exactly
Old 06-28-05, 10:23 AM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
thanks for the quick response. one more question, is the install/uninstall of this thing pretty quick, and without tools? someone mentioned to me earlier that since i just got the car back last thursday from the paint shop that i shouldnt put a bra on the car for atleast 6 months...i know youre not supposed to go thru an automatic car wash for atleast a month after new paint, but 6 months for the bra? damn that definetly isnt in time for friday lol...anyone?
1. The bra I have required you to add a couple of 'snap clips' in place of a couple of screws holding the fender trim. I bought the bra from Lexus (about 4 years ago) so I don't know what brand it is. No tools are required to install it. It has elastic bands/hooks and such to secure it in place.
2. I wouldn't use a bra until your paint really hardens. The bra will (does) tend to scratch the paint surface due to fluttering from the wind. In inside of the bra is a soft felt like material but it still will act as an abrasive on paint.
Old 06-28-05, 01:02 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

colgan bra are the best in my opinion. around 100.00 bucks. easy to put on, less than 5 mins and fits perfect. yes a clear bra is best but this will do in your case.

go to colgancustoms.com and see for yourself.
Old 06-28-05, 01:18 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

thanks guys. in the interest of getting it here before i leave fri, i just had advance auto get me one of the laBra's. it was only $70 with overnight shipping included which was still about $40-50 cheaper than everywhere else who also said they could definetely not get it to me by then. i buzzed the body shop too about using it. the paint guy said since its only going to be on for 2 hours there and 2 hours on the way back home that it definitely shouldnt be an issue...something about it just not being a good idea to leave it on there for any length of time in days right away because the paint still needs to breath.. ehh, i guess we will see what happens and ill just have to kick my own *** if i screw up how perfect the paint is right now..its annoying to think that what i want to do to protect the finish from all the rocks and bugs and everything since it just got fixed could possibily screw up the paint just as much. too bad the AC on my honda just **** the bed or i wouldve taken that and left the gs home.