GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

how many people here have the Apexi S-AFC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-01, 09:05 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SilverGSguy

SilverGSguy
the apexi comes with everyting you need to install, you need (very important) to make sure all the wires have good connections, if not you will get check engine light,
if you do get check engine light, just check you wire connections.

Sound like you may want to got someone to do it for you. it's all depend on your electrical skill, are you comfortable to taping and cutting about 10 wires into your ECU?

(this unit monitors RPM, Air/Fuel,.........)
Old 06-28-01, 04:55 PM
SilverGSguy
Pole Position

im probably just gonna take it to a shop to do, i dont know anything about car wiring. , does this unit void the warranty because it sounds like you have to cut into your stock wires??
Old 06-28-01, 05:12 PM
RacingAristo

Does it requre any interior drilling or modification for the installation?
Old 06-28-01, 06:47 PM
SilverGSguy
Pole Position

black is_300, what do you mean when you say it will melt your engine? do you know where i could get it tuned by someone who knows what they are doing and do it right?
Old 06-28-01, 06:54 PM
RacingAristo

You can call APEXi and ask them for authorized installer.
Old 06-28-01, 07:12 PM
SilverGSguy
Pole Position

thanks! one more question, after i get this s-afc thing, would i still need an ecu like the on in the sft-hri. how are these two different?
Old 06-28-01, 08:14 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Default no need for the SRT ecu if you get S-AFC

The S-AFC if tuned properly will do wonders. If not, it can give you less power. As for the difference, The SRT ecu has been tuned for the GS, but as we all know not every car is the same. Even though it is the same motor and all, there are different little nuances for each motor. Some like to run leaner or richer. So the S-AFC is gonna be tuned to just your car. Do not try to use someone's pre-determined parameters. It may be a good lead off point but you should just tune your car so you get the most out of it. Anyone who knows the basics of tuning, has a good AF meter (air-fuel).

most of all have fun tuning and don't blow up anything

Ricky
Old 06-28-01, 08:17 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Default sorry

forgot to add something. Anyone who knows the basics of tuning, has a good AF meter, and takes their time can extract some good ponies for you.

aloha
ricky:eek:
Old 06-28-01, 08:21 PM
SilverGSguy
Pole Position

BLOW UP ANYTHING???? , it could really do that to my car?? if i get someone to install it that knows what he's doing, is there still a risk? i really dont want to BLOW up anything
Old 06-28-01, 11:14 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Default here is my opinion

"blow up things", that is not a very good choice of words.

Even you have the S-AFC, you can't really damage much (my opinion, at least true for normal asprirate car, not supercharge or Nos or any in that nature)

you can't modify the MAP sensor signal too much, only up to a point, the ECU is in closed loop mode all the time (meaning it's not only use the signal of the MAP sensor to see how much air is flowing, but it's also monitor the O2 sensors, between those sensors (maybe other sensors also), the ECU figures out the best fuel curve to for you car at that moment.

Unless you change the fuel pump, change the injectors...you are not gonna totally change the behavior of the ECU and the stock fuel management.
Ever hear of ODBII ECU, yes, we have one of those, and it is designed to keep the car within a "friendly level" to both environment and the engine itself.

The S-AFC is really in control at WOT (wide open throttle), since the ECU is running in OPEN loop mode, the ECU checks the MAP sensor signal only (no 02 check) and use the corressponding stock fuel curve that is safe for the engine (ie, more gas than needed, to avoid knocking), the S-AFC will fool the ECU and make it choose the most aggressive setting within the ECU limit.

I am sure the car has ton of sensors to double check and protect the car, including facotry knock sensor. That is not to say, you can put the setting at any level. you can use the build-in Air/fuel display in the S-AFC to see what is going on, not the most accurate display, but if you don't care if you did not max out your gain by a few HP. Then this is fine. Get a shop to tune it with a wide band 02 sensor, then you get every single HP the engine can produce.

Just like Swift piggy ECU, this require some cutting into the factory ECU, of course the dealer doesn't want to see this. That is why I am planning to get aftermartket extended warrant. The dealer doesnt care about these thing if you have aftermarket warranty, They didn't have to pay for your repair anyway.

I had warrantygold on my other car, it worked out very well, i can take my car to any shop (dealer or non dealer )for fixing, no question ask.

Old 06-29-01, 12:17 AM
RacingAristo

If you install the unit as APEXi authorized dealer, I don't see any problem with that. The best is to install it at XS Engineering.