GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

how many people here have the Apexi S-AFC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-01, 09:10 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Apexi S-AFC on my Prelude with great success. Very nice unit which modify the MAP sensor signal for more AIR. (same concept as Swift intake ECU)
but this one is adjustable.

I did not get my car to the shop for dyno when I had the unit (prelude). But I do know that i does make alot different in engine peformance from just playing around with the setting and my dyno butt (compare to a car w just intake)

Just want to know the reason why not many people on this board mention this? Every single sup' up honda/acura have them. I must work very well.

http://www.autospeed.com/A_0771/P_2/article.html
they also have application for Lexus GS

I am gonna give it a try sometime soon, just wondering

Old 06-27-01, 09:21 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

i forgot to mention, many Supras have them also.
The price is $295 shipped, last time I saw it at groupbuycenter.com
Old 06-27-01, 01:31 PM
RacingAristo

Black_IS300 has S-AFC installed in his IS. I've been interested in it for awhile and the cheapest I can at groupbuycenter.com is $315 shipped. Do you know you can get it for around $220 at Japan?
Old 06-27-01, 01:57 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Default You may wanna check with MO

I have considered using the S-AFC. However, I think that Mo's ECU doesn't only change the MAF readings. I am sure with the right tuning, you can extract more HP. I was wondering if you tried using the Apex ITC as well. I tried it and it can give you a little more HP. You can control the timing of ignition at each 1000 RPM level. I don't think it will work int the GS since it has VVT-i.

I have a FEILD s-afc in my Acura and it works well to control the larger injectors that I placed. I have a friend that may be setting up an Autronic (programable system) if I can find someone who makes an exhaust manifold that can be set up for turbo. Otherwise I am gonna get the SC kit from Swift.

any suggestions for forced induction would be greatly appreciated.

aloha
ricky
Old 06-27-01, 02:35 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by RacingAristo
Do you know you can get it for around $220 at Japan?
yes I did. That ad is still running at around that cost. Geeze........ OH I also found out that that company is a mail-order based shop in Osaka. Either you'll need to go down to Osaka in person or you find someone with a permanent address in Japan.

Generally prices of that S-AFC in Japan now is around 250 USD. Downside: No English manual. (or maybe there IS?)
Old 06-27-01, 02:40 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

Yea.. the S-AFC works great. It made the biggest difference out of all my other hp mods. You'll notice a difference in your mid range and high end. You also get to bust valet parking attendants Just be careful when you tune it yourself... If you lean it out too much your car will be much faster for a while but you'll end up melting your engine
Old 06-27-01, 02:44 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Black_IS300
Yea.. the S-AFC works great. It made the biggest difference out of all my other hp mods. You'll notice a difference in your mid range and high end. You also get to bust valet parking attendants Just be careful when you tune it yourself... If you lean it out too much your car will be much faster for a while but you'll end up melting your engine
Did you have to junction the terminals at the ECU connector? Or a plug-and-play harness?

I dont' think I'll be tuning my own AFC Better spending the money than melting my engine. How much does it cost to have the shop tune it for you?
Old 06-27-01, 03:51 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Default more thing to read

The S-AFC wires are not plug and play. you need to cut some of the ECU wires also, just like Swift piggy ECU, same wires, you basicly but the MAP sensor line, and the S-AFC will generate a new signal at the cutting point and fool the ECU to put more gas or lean some out. I think you can get the wire hardness for mucho money.

I looked at swift racing ECU wiring, the same exact wires are cut (if not 100% sure, but 95% sure ) for S-AFC

The concept is written here :
http://www.autospeed.com/A_0008/P_5/article.html
not as sofisticate ad the Apexi S-AFC, but the concept is there, i've seen this done on a Nissan 300Z with great result.

and
http://www.autospeed.com/A_0121/page1.html

I've done the tunning using my cheap Air/fuel meter, seemed to work every well.
Beside you can not go out of the parametter too much, in the close loop, the ECU double check your setting with the O2 sensor.

In open loop mode, this is where Apexi comes to play.
:eek:
Old 06-27-01, 05:25 PM
RacingAristo

BananaGS,

Could you post the link for $295 shipped S-AFC? I couldn't find it in groupbuycenter.
Old 06-27-01, 05:35 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

Banana and guys, would it work on a '92 SC4? No one on the SC forum that I know of has one.

Thanks Guys...

Last edited by The Ikon; 06-28-01 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-27-01, 05:58 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

Yes it will work on your car.
Old 06-27-01, 06:46 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Default RacingAristo

$295 but expired already, maybe youwant to call them up and give them some stupid reason about the price you see on groupbuycenter
http://www.groupbuycenter.com/buy.asp?row_id=2244

or
$320 shipped currently
http://www.groupbuycenter.com/buy.asp?row_id=2769

or Try www.thepartstrader.com
ton of people sell this unit here, look under honda/acura and do a search on Apexi S-AFC
use one goes around $200-250
Old 06-27-01, 10:36 PM
RacingAristo

thanks, BananaGS.
Old 06-28-01, 01:48 AM
SilverGSguy
Pole Position

does it come with everything you need to install it? i dont want to end up buying it then some guy telling me that i need this and that and end up spending lots of money. i dont know that much about engine stuff
Old 06-28-01, 02:02 AM
Presario
Driver

Default Hey Black-IS300

Hey Black-IS300
Is that your car in this month's turbo magizine? Turbo magizine goes through a step by step installation of the S-AFC in the IS300. Shows every step. The IS in the mag looks dang sweet and from your icon, I would think it was yours. Anyways, in the same mag, they show you a blitz tuned IS300 turbo which is so so beautiful. Anyways, check it out guys. Turbo magizine with a blue supra on the cover. It might help because the GS and IS engines are very similar.

-Andy

Quick Reply: how many people here have the Apexi S-AFC?